Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Updating firmware

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

After following all instructions re: updating firmware on my mx61 to increase volume output I continue to receive the message Installer not found. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Posted : 10/02/2017 1:20 pm
Bad Mister

Help the MX find the updated file by unzipping the download on your computer before transferring the .PRG file to the root directory of a USB stick you use with your MX.

We can only guess at the step you missed, saying you followed the instructions would then mean either the MX update data doesn't work (given the literal thousands of MX'ers, that's not the case), or there is a step you missed, or the USB file is some how corrupted... is this a USB stick that works with your MX?

Does the screen really read "Installer not found" ?

Posted : 10/02/2017 8:50 pm
Topic starter

Thank you for responding.

1. Tried unzipping the file both on PC and moving to stick and downloading and unzipping directly on the stick.
2. Tried several sticks including new one.
3. Downloaded and unzipped to stick file mx4951setup.prg several times to make sure.
4. The unit recognizes the stick.
5. Sent to unit good thoughts.

Steps taken.
1. Insert stick with unzipped file.
2. Hold down play and power unit on.
3 Screen indicates BOOTER V.1.01
4 Screen indicated NOW LOADING
5. Screen indicates INSTALLER NOT FOUND

Yes, the screen really reads INSTALLER NOT FOUND

Thanks again.

Posted : 10/02/2017 10:13 pm
Bad Mister

3. Downloaded and unzipped to stick file mx4951setup.prg several times to make sure.

the only wrong step I can find is this. Once is enough. And if you are doing this properly you should only be able to have the file once in the root directory of a USB stick so this makes me nervous that you don't know what this means.

Two files with the same name cannot exist in the root directory. Are you saying you have the file same there several times?

I'm sure the "mx4951setup.prg" is just a typo, right ?

Try saving and then reloading an MX file to this same USB stick, to ensure that it can be written to and read by the MX.

Posted : 11/02/2017 4:28 pm
Topic starter

Again, thank you for your time and wisdom.

Yes, one download is enough Just retried several times to make sure download was not corrupted. Formatted stick before each try using the Mx's . format procedure.

I think the problem is within the machine itself and needs to be serviced by a tech or returned.

Regards.

Michael

Posted : 13/02/2017 2:23 pm
Bad Mister

I think the problem is within the machine itself and needs to be serviced by a tech or returned

I don't, but you can do what you wish.

Here is what I recommend before going that route: Please do not format the USB stick before EACH try... they come formatted. They rarely if ever need to be FORMATTED. I would rather you use a USB stick that we have *proven works* with your MX. Save a file to the USB Stick and then load that same file back to the MX from the stick you are using. If you are successful we then KNOW for sure that the USB stick works. DO NOT FORMAT IT!!!!

The usb stick is about 10 dollars worth of technology. I would simply always blame that first... simply in the hope that it is at fault (which is more common than you would want to believe). They vary in quality, even within the same brand and model... trust me.

Again, try saving an ALL file to the USB stick, then try to restore that file to your MX. If successful, simply copy the "MX4961setup.prg" file to the root directory of that, now proven working, USB stick and try the update. That is my recommendation - you can try or simply take my suggestion and feed it to a goat. 🙂

hope it helps

Posted : 13/02/2017 2:58 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us