Notifications
Clear all

DAW

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Is it possible to use a different DAW such as Studio One instead of Cubase and get the same results.

Posted : 05/09/2014 2:21 pm
Ave
 Ave

Absolutely... There will not be the deep level of integration that you get with Cubase, but the basic functions of transport control, recording, track select and VSTi control should all be there in Studio One. Let us know how it works out for you as we have not had the opportunity to actually hook it up to Studio One. We have integrated the Motif with Sonar, Logic, DP and PT and found there to be a very convenient and appropriate level of control.

Posted : 05/09/2014 5:41 pm
Bad Mister

The question is not complete - get the same results as what? Each DAW will have different capabilities - if you mean will you get the same tight Advanced Integration as with Cubase, well, not quite.

The Yamaha line-up of music production synthesizers: Motif XF, MOXF, MX, S-series etc., can be used with any DAW!

The Motif XF has built-in Templates for Cubase, Sonar, Digital Performer, Logic Pro, and Pro Tools
The S-series, MOXF and MX come with Templates for Cubase, Sonar, Digital Performer, and Logic Pro

They all can be used with any DAW that is capable of using an ASIO driver including Studio One, Ableton, Reaper, Pro Tools, etc., etc., etc. ASIO is a pretty standard audio streaming protocol. Cubase is made by Steinberg (which is owned by Yamaha) so naturally there are some features that are unique to the Yamaha-Steinberg combination... these have to do with advanced audio communication, and some degree of automatic setup and file Import compatibility.

But you can use any DAW of your choosing. The Templates for those DAWs listed means they have special setups that make working with those DAWs easier. You are provided REMOTE TOOLS in many cases so you can build VST Templates of your own (although most of the popular VSTi's are already included).

Posted : 05/09/2014 6:36 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the replies, they are greatly appreciated, so if I don't get the same level of performance from Studio One, which Cubase should I start out with if I was to switch, directed to Bad Mister.

Posted : 07/09/2014 1:28 am
Bad Mister

Cubase AI is the one you should start out with - because you already have a copy of it - it was supplied with your Yamaha instrument. AI is an advanced entry level version (strange as that sounds). Although a light version, Yamaha included special additional features, usually not found in a freebie copy: for example, the ability to run VSTi, to execute "Freeze" and "Export Audio Mixdown". Additionally, automatic setup of REMOTE CONTROL Surface functions.

Many find it hard to believe it is still just the "entry level" program. If you want to compare it to full versions of other DAWs - you can, unfair as that is, Cubase AI will still hold its own (the audio engine is the key). It is provided to whet the appetite of those new to computer-based recording for more. In the full top-of-the-line version of Cubase (now at version 7.5) many more features are added - unlimited tracks, built-in Chord intelligence, VariAudio pitch correction, etc., etc., etc.). It would be impossible for me to simply recommend a commercial version without knowing what it is you are thinking about doing.

I can recommend that you visit www.steinberg.net so you can review and purchase the version that best suits your needs. The Cubase line-up is among the most popular DAWs in the world. Cubase AI is a first peek at just how powerful they can get.

All versions above AI7 have the functions you find in AI - they simply get better as you go up the ladder.
I would recommend you register/install and try out Cubase AI7... this costs you nothing!!
Use your MySteinberg Account to email Steinberg directly. Communicate with them what you are looking to accomplish with your computer DAW, they will steer you to exactly the version that will make the most sense and you will qualify for a special discount when you upgrade to an upper version! That would seem like the best way to proceed.

Please realize that you can use any DAW capable of using the ASIO protocol.

Posted : 07/09/2014 12:21 pm

I just ordered a used Yahama MOXF6 that does not include the Cubase software Activation slip. How can I obtain Cubase AI 7 for this synth? I have Pro Tools but would prefer to use Cubase for its tighter integration, but I didn't realize this when I ordered the MOXF. Until it arrives, I won't know whether the License is already registered, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Posted : 31/12/2014 4:47 pm
Bad Mister

I just ordered a used Yahama MOXF6 that does not include the Cubase software Activation slip. How can I obtain Cubase AI 7 for this synth? I have Pro Tools but would prefer to use Cubase for its tighter integration, but I didn't realize this when I ordered the MOXF. Until it arrives, I won't know whether the License is already registered, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

The software is provided to the original purchaser of the instrument as an introduction to the Steinberg Cubase series of Music Production softwares. It also entitles them a discounted upgrade path to the full version. Cubase AI7 is a specially developed version that includes special functions that Yamaha hardware synthesizers can utilze (not found on the generic LE version, LE is the equivalent entry version found as a perk when you purchase certain non-Yamaha hardware).

What you can do (your best bet) is to contact the Yamaha distributor in your region of the world, see if they can provide you with a download license for Cubase AI7. Again, there is no guarantee that they are even equipped to do so, but there is no harm in asking. Your curiosity about the tight integration is good reason for them to get you a copy (even though you are not the original purchaser).

You will find it well worth the effort. You can then compare the Steinberg audio engine to that of Pro Tools, for yourself.

Posted : 01/01/2015 6:20 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us