Synth Forum

Genos is here....AL...

Notifications
Clear all

Genos is here....ALMOST!

21 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes

Interesting to see that some Australian stores are taking pre-orders for a small qty (20??) delivery late Oct.
Advertised price of AUD$6 999.00 vs Yamaha MSRP US$6 799.00 (more than AUD$8 700!!)
Best deal for Montage 7 here is currently $4 499.00 (AUD $200 more that a Montage 6)
Also Tyros 5 is still more than new Genos??

Posted : 03/10/2017 12:33 pm
 El

Hola a todos. Alguien sabe si Genos tiene la característica "SSS" ?
Creo que se llama así. Me refiero a una caracterísitca que hace que la transición ó el cambio entre sonidos ; performance, sea suave, que no se corte la anterior cuando empieza la siguiente.
Muchas gracias.

Posted : 03/10/2017 12:53 pm
Auriak
Eminent Member

Hii All, some players have a lot of Style files,
We can read Here The new Genos Read (Style File Format (SFF), Style File Format GE (SFF GE)
From https://it.yamaha.com/files/download/brochure/7/1129927/Genos_brochure.pdf
This mean that he don't read the (OLD) .sty ? You gonna make a Style converter? or We Need to Keep the Old Tyros too?

Hope someone gonna answare from Yamaha ( I know maybe is not the rigth Place in this forum)

Thank You all for the moment

Auriak

Posted : 03/10/2017 2:15 pm
 Paul

Hi Jason --

Sorry that I didn't reply sooner. It's been goin' crazy on the PSR Tutorial Forum, as you can well imagine!

Thanks for emphasizing the difference in keyboard length. If a Genos 61-key was offered, I would go with the 61. A 61 is sufficient for the tunes that I play and I'm always trying to shave pounds.

My main gig instrument is an MOX6. The plastic doesn't bother me, either. When I get slammed by an acoustic guitar, the guitar usually loses. 🙂

I would like an FSX action. It feels more robust than either the MOX6 or the PSR-S950 (my home/practice instrument). I usually play with a pianist, so the weight and piano action of an 88-key are unneeded.

S.Art is fun, and S.Art2 is even funner. I test drove a Montage (again) the other day and the XA provides more direct control over articulations vs. S.Art. I dig the Latin Flute, BTW.

Yeah, no PAC. That was interesting. The Genos MAIN OUT is not balanced (or so we think) and perhaps PAC isn't worth it for home players using unbalanced connections. At least there is S/PDIF. Other folks on the Forum have pointed out the lack of audio over USB. (Again, the manuals aren't out so maybe we're missing some vital information.)

Shameless plug for Yamaha engineering -- even without PAC Yamaha's mid- to high-end boards are quieter than certain competitors. I've observed audio schmutz with other brands -- even when the 'board is "idling."

All the best -- pj

Posted : 04/10/2017 3:00 pm
 Paul

Hi A --

By now you've seen the link posted in Jason's message. As usual, Phil is always the man.

Articulation Element Modeling (AEM) is the technology underlying Super Articulation 2 (S.Art2). Yamaha have several patents covering AEM. Trust me, it's a deep subject. Phil's description is accuate, but trying to do this kind of processing with minimum latency is a bear. Kudos to Yamaha engineering.

Super Articulation (S.Art) was introduced in Tyros 2 (year: 2003). S.Art2 (AEM) was introduced in Tyros 3 (year: 2008). So, AEM has been around a while. Yamaha have added new S.Art2 voices with each generation of Tyros.

No, it's not possible to create new voices using AEM. Starting with the S770, S970 and Tyros 5, Yamaha provide waveform-level voice editing through the Yamaha Expansion Manager (YEM) application for Windows and Mac. Currently, you cannot create or edit S.Art or S.Art2 voices with YEM.

An S.Art2 voice editor would be an interesting technical challenge...

Deep voice editing, by the way, is an important differentiator between the synthesizer (Montage) product line and the arranger workstation product line (PSR, Tyros and Genos). A lot of arranger folk wish for deep voice editing.

Sequencer-wise, we're still waiting to see the Genos manuals. (Sounds familiar, eh?) With Tyros/PSR S-series, it's possible to do note edits. With the new UI, Genos, hopefully, has overhauled the sequencer UI.

Hope this helps -- pj

Posted : 04/10/2017 3:00 pm
Lawrence
Trusted Member

Will they release an 88-weighted version?

Posted : 04/10/2017 11:49 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us