P255b External Spea...

Notifications
Clear all

P255b External Speakers/monitors

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello All, First time here, I hope this is the appropriate place to ask this question. I know the P255 is a digital piano and not a synth. I am currently thinking of purchasing the Yamaha P255B keyboard because it is the closest that I have found that mimics an acoustic piano. I grew up playing and learned on acoustic pianos only. I do like the speakers in the keyboard compared to other keyboards but I am undecided/ not very knowledgeable on my speaker/monitor technology. Simply, If I were to use external studio monitors, which would be best to as closely as possible recreate the natural sound of an acoustic piano without it sounding distorted or fake. My initial research has led me to the Yamaha HS8 studio monitors and the MSP series. I have read that 8in is better to reproduce all the frequency ranges but others say it will be too loud. Would a Subwoofer be required to produce the lower frequencies and bass? Some say yes, others say no. Any help would be great!

Posted : 15/01/2016 4:59 pm
Bad Mister

If you get the 8 inch (HS8) you will not need a sub woofer, in general, they will give plenty of full range response. Those who say they will be too loud don't account for the fact you can control volume. The key is to make the monitor speakers exactly as loud as you would expect an acoustic piano to be naturally in your place. Not softer, not louder. Place yourself in an equilateral triangle with your monitors.

If you get the 5 inch monitors (HS5) you may want to get a sub woofer.
If you get the HS7 you will not need a sub woofer.

But, it is really personal preference. I personally have a pair of MSP 7 Studios which I find my absolute favorites.
The 7s have a 6.5" woofer which is the size of the classic NS10M.

Posted : 17/01/2016 4:34 am
Topic starter

Thanks! I listened to the HS7 and HS8 at guitar center playing classical piano music from YouTube. I know its not the ideal sound test by any means but the HS7 in my opinion sounded better than the HS8. I'm not a sound person so qualifing this with the correct terminology will be a challenge for me but perhaps it was midtones or just the overall sound seemed clearer or brighter I mean whereas the HS8 seemed rather dark sounding. Perhaps it was just me. This didn't make sense to me and I'm wondering if I should go with the HS8 speakers and tweak them with an EQ if I don't like the sound after I get them in my space.

Posted : 18/01/2016 6:27 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us