Clear all

AA battery powered PA for the Reface?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Maarten
Topic starter

Hi all,

I am looking for a portable way to give the Reface more volume. For example to be able to comp for a group of three friends to practice lyrics for songs in a room. Or for a little performance in a room of twenty people.

I haven't heard the Reface's internal speakers yet. The speakers are compared by some to an acoustic guitar. I find that a bit hard to believe, since with a guitar the whole wooden body resonates, giving it quite a bit of volume.

So it would be great if there was a speaker, powered by AA batteries, that I could plug my future CP into. I've found some speaker systems by other brands. And I found quite a few Bluetooth speakers (they are hot at the moment) which are running on internal Li-ion batteries. Unfortunately, all Li-ion batteries die after four years of use.
I would prefer it to have a system from Yamaha, but I couldn't find one.

Does anyone have tips?

Thanks in advance,

Maarten

Posted : 18/07/2015 2:49 pm
Bad Mister

Hi Maarten,

I think perhaps some things get lost in translations... I don't think a loudness comparison between a Reface and an acoustic guitar was what was being discussed. I think the comment was that like an acoustic guitar is an easy 'take-it-with-you' instrument, the Reface will be that kind of thing for keyboard players. There are these "travel guitars" that go everywhere with guitarists, because they can, now keyboard players "can".

As we get closer to the ship date, you'll see more about recommended systems. Yamaha certainly makes portable/mobile solutions _ for when battery powered sound systems are a requirement because no traditional power source is available. Certainly you have time yet, please standby.

I've had a chance to work with the new AG-series mobile mixers (AG03/AG06), they can work via USB-bus power. I went out and got one of those USB batteries to experience first hand the kind of results one can expect. I was impressed with its ability provide power to multiple devices if necessary. And between battery operated keyboards and speakers, and USB battery to run the AG mixer, this allowed me to take a recording studio with me anywhere. Not because it is anything other than very cool to be able to setup anywhere and capture music jams, gigs, idea sessions, etc.

Posted : 18/07/2015 4:32 pm
Maarten
Topic starter

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your explanation! I love the Reface exactly for that reason: to take it anywhere.

I am just looking for a way to give the Reface more volume for like, indeed, at a campfire. It would be a shame if the sound gets drowned by two people singing and they can't hear me anymore.

You've really raised my curiosity with your remark about Yamaha's portable/mobile solutions (that includes a mini PA?) that might come in the (near) future!

Thanks again,

Maarten

P.S. You are right that USB batteries are an interesting option as well.

Posted : 19/07/2015 6:58 pm

Coincidentally enough, I was camping this weekend, and thinking that it would be cool to have something like the reFace CP along for the ride ... y'know, all the talk about "like a guitarist" had me going.

Posted : 21/07/2015 5:54 pm
Maarten
Topic starter

This mini PA may be something along the lines of the Yamaha THR10, but then developed for keyboardists?

So without all the VCM guitar effects that makes this battery powered "practice amp" a bit expensive, without the emulated "tube glow", but still battery powered and with great stereo sound.

We'll see... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Posted : 09/08/2015 9:58 pm
Maarten
Topic starter

For those who are interested.

Currently, based on specs alone, these PA/keyboard amps/speakers from another musical instruments company fit the bill: "Mobile Cube", KC-110 or BA-330:
- Stereo
- Battery powered
- Backwards tiltable for better spreading of high frequencies when standing on the ground.

I haven't heard these, so I don't know how good/bad they sound. The reviews on the Internet seem to be mixed.

Phil says above that Yamaha will come with recommendations, so Iยดll wait for that.

Maarten

Posted : 23/08/2015 8:23 pm
Share:

ยฉ 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. ย ย  Terms of Useย |ย Privacy Policyย |ย Contact Us