Clear all

Another firmware update for reface DX?

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Arn
Topic starter

Hi,

Last year, there seemed to be a rumor about an upcoming further upgrade for the firmware for the reface DX; hopefully, one that would include system exclusives to allow voices to be uploaded to it non-interactively from PC-based software.

Has anything come of this? It would make this very good synth absolutely excellent.

Thanks.

:::Arn

Posted : 10/02/2018 2:09 am
Bad Mister

And what have you learned about “rumors”.

Seriously, there were no official announcements of any updates.

Posted : 10/02/2018 1:37 pm
Martin
Eminent Member

Arn wrote:
system exclusives to allow voices to be uploaded to it non-interactively from PC-based software.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "non-interactively" but I know how to send SysEx voices from my PC to my Reface DX without problems.

Posted : 10/02/2018 2:21 pm
 Arn
Topic starter

As I understand it, at the moment, the only way to send a voice from PC-based software to the reface DX is to manually push buttons on the reface that will tell it to accept and store the voice data.

I was hoping (and had heard that "rumor") that it would be possible to do this without any manual button-pushing. The software could upload a voice or a bank of voices to the reface DX without needing a human being to push buttons or otherwise operate controls to accept every voice.

Even if there was just a way to simulate operating the reface DX's controls remotely by sending SysExs (as was the case for the old DX7, as I recall) this would be enough to automate the uploading of voices.

Posted : 10/02/2018 3:39 pm
Martin
Eminent Member

Arn wrote:

As I understand it, at the moment, the only way to send a voice from PC-based software to the reface DX is to manually push buttons on the reface that will tell it to accept and store the voice data.

I see what you mean. In the current implementation it's only possible to send SysEx patchdata for one patch to the Reface DX's editbuffer. To store it in one of the 32 patchmemories you need to push some buttons. And to fill all the 32 patchmemories with your own choice of patches - for example just before a live gig - you need to to do this procedure 32 times! That was one of my complaints from the first day I owned a Reface DX. All the Yamaha FM synths from the past that supposedly inspired the production of the Reface did a better job. No soundmondo website or iPad/iPhone app can compensate for that.

But I don't think Yamaha will fix that omission in a firmware upgrade. They rather want us to buy a Montage I guess. A new firmware for the Montage was announced recently.

Posted : 11/02/2018 11:39 am
 Arn
Topic starter

I'm afraid I'd have to agree - it doesn't look like they plan to fix it. This is really sad - it's a fun synth, but it could have been a fabulous one.

They may want us to buy a Montage, but I think perhaps not.

Something about those who don't learn from history being doomed to repeat it comes to mind.

Posted : 13/02/2018 2:27 am
Bad Mister

But I don't think Yamaha will fix that omission in a firmware upgrade. They rather want us to buy a Montage I guess. A new firmware for the Montage was announced recently.

Thats just silly, really! Where do you get your info, or do you just make it up?

Posted : 13/02/2018 3:32 am
Martin
Eminent Member

I am not giving info. I'm just guessing and giving my opinion as a (most of the time) happy Yahama Reface DX owner.

If you have more reliable info, proving that my assumptions are really silly, that would make me really happy. A 2.0 firmware update, not only for the Montage, but also for the RefaceDX would be nice. There is always room for small but usable improvement.

P.S. The Montage is a great synth, but that's another subject.

Posted : 13/02/2018 6:47 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us