Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Default Rotary speaker setting

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Whenever I power on the Reface YC, it defaults to the Rotary Speed effect set at Slow. Was there a reason for this? Is there a way to set a different default? (In my case, it'd be to Off, as I mainly use the (Y)amaha, (F)arfisa, and (V)ox settings, and I only occasionally use the Rotary Speed.)

Posted : 23/01/2016 10:37 pm
Bad Mister

You can store your preference for the Rotary Speaker setting in your "capture" of your favorite organ setup.

Posted : 24/01/2016 10:55 am
Topic starter

I haven't really gotten into captures and such, but I would think that would mean capturing it via iOS or computer and then restoring it from there every time I turn on. Am I wrong? What I really want is for the default to be set differently, without any hookup to phone, computer, etc. It's not like this is a major issue, but it would be nice.

I do appreciate your help.

Posted : 24/01/2016 7:05 pm
Topic starter

Also, was there a specific reason for the default Rotary Speed setting to be Slow, rather than Off (or, I guess, Stop)?

I ask because most combo organ fans I know tend to use rotary speaker sims rather sparingly. And, while the Reface YC obviously has an excellent Hammond sound, it really feels like this keyboard is aimed at the combo organ market. In fact, one of the things that really appealed to me when I saw the announcement of the Reface YC last July was that it seemed to be the first new keyboard in eons that was focused on combo organ sounds, rather than putting them in as a sort of added extra.

Posted : 24/01/2016 7:06 pm
Bad Mister

whether or not you ever see any Yamaha organ products, in large part, depends on where in the world you live. Yamaha started in 1887 as an organ manufacturer and as far as I know has been building and releasing organ products ever since. If you do not see them that might be because the regional Yamaha distributor does not bring them into your market.

Dedicated organs are rare, for example, here in the US, but very popular still in Japan.

As to the default status of the Rotary Speaker control switch, that is a "how come..." question to which I have to confess I don't know. When you mentioned how you want it to default, I assumed you meant when you recall a setting from Capture... Which it now was announced is compatible Android devices (not just iOS devices).

When turning on the reface YC the front panel is live! And the lever that selects between OFF (bypass), STOP, SLOW, and FAST naturally sits at/returns to the STOP setting, but indeed the Slow setting is engaged... Probably for the same reason synthesizer's with presets typically opt for a small amount of reverb as a default starting condition - alerting the new user that, yes, indeed there are Effects. If left dry (STOP, in this case) someone trying it out may not ever know that the unit has effects. Just my guess... from having sat in on such meetings about what should be the 'default condition'... It was a definite (discussed) decision, as most things are not by accident on these products.

Posted : 25/01/2016 8:09 pm
Topic starter

Thanks! That does make a great deal of sense. It really would be great, though, if there were a way to change the default setting. That said, I can see how that would take some extra work. And, really, it's not like it's a major issue to remember to move one little control a couple spots to what I prefer.

You mentioned seeing various Yamaha organ products...I'm in the NYC metro area in the USA. Does Yamaha have something like a "Reface YC Pro" in another part of the world? (I'm thinking Reface YC, but with 61 keys and maybe a few other cool features.) I've mentioned this to a few combo organ friends and they love the idea.

Posted : 27/01/2016 11:40 pm
Bad Mister

The refaceYC can be played via MIDI from your favorite 61 key controller! I only mention that because doing this means you still have a very cool mobile organ that you can take anywhere.

My studio layout is such that I cannot watch TV while I'm making music (I did that by design, on purpose). I don't need the distraction!

Post getting my reface YC, when I HAVE to be in front of the TV (you know Super Bowl, Playoff games, Yankee games... Family Guy.) I can sit on my sofa in the living room - jamming on my reface. It's cool, it must be, because I don't/can't "watch" a game without it any more.

Don't discount the mobile aspect of this device... It simply makes it more flexible... You truly can play anywhere.
I got this foldable laptop stand, I position this above my full sized set of controller keys, when I want to "play".
You play on the keys of your full sized controller yet can easily access the YC's front panel!

Easter egg: the Modulation Wheel is pre assigned to switch Slow-Fast of the Rotary Speaker Effect!

Posted : 28/01/2016 2:49 pm
Topic starter

Oh yeah...I've been playing it from a 61-key controller for live shows. What I - and other combo organ fans - are saying is that a Reface Pro series would allow the Reface to be the controller, as well as the organ module. It would be front and center, rather than the extra. The red of the Reface YC would be quite striking. But it's not just visual. The way I look at it, you'd be able to leave a fair bit of space on the top right side of a Reface Pro to allow another Reface (the current crop) to sit there. And then it becomes VERY apparent that this is all about what Yamaha has to offer. ( Especially sitting on the Yamaha portable stand that looks much like the one the YC combo organs used to use.)

What I guess I'm saying is that for live gigs, once I want to use the CP *and* the YC, that means bringing a controller *plus* both of those. Personally, I'm not a big fan of 3 tier keyboard stands. (I actually do have a controller that allows me to put the YC on the top right, albeit with a little overhang, but it's not an ideal solution.) Nor am I a fan of surrounding myself in stands.

I really hope Yamaha considers a Reface Pro line. I think they might find it appeals to a number of people. It would quiet the bunch that complains about the mini-keys *and* Yamaha could add a few more features to make it appealing to more people. (Example: Two more organ spots, possibly designated U1 and U2, in which users could download other organs that Yamaha made available...Gibson G101, Philicorda, etc. Although I'd be happy with full size keys, a minimum 5 octaves, and a solid controller setup...And you might even be able to find a way to make that work best with other Yamaha products.)

At the end of the day, though, I have to say...I'm LOVING my Reface YC. (But now I'm greedy and I want *more* of it!)

Posted : 29/01/2016 3:47 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us