Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MIDI COMMUNICATION: Reface CP w/ PSR S970...Please Help!

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Tom
Topic starter

Hi there, just picked up a CP to beef up the Rhodes and wurli on the 970.
I don't use MIDI often but managed to connect correctly....EXCEPT
Every once in a while I get weird unwanted sounds. The MIDI setup on the 970 is fairly stock, and when I've experimented with Transmit/Receive and such I've lost the CP sound entirely. I'm hoping someone can tell me what settings I need on each device...
Thanks in advance!

Posted : 24/04/2016 2:09 pm
Bad Mister

The PSR-S970 is capable of MIDI output on all 16 Channels. And it can do this at once. You probably are interested in triggering the reface CP on just one MIDI channel so that 'weird unwanted sounds' do not occur. I'm assuming that is what you are hearing, data intended to trigger something internal to the PSR-S970 but that is meaningless to the reface CP...

While this is not a support site for the PSR-S970, we can attempt to fix your issue from the reface CP side.

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest FIRMWARE update for your reface CP (which is version 1.30) this will ensure that you have the new features and added functions provided by the engineers. Among them is the ability to set the reface to receive on just one MIDI channel.

You do not mention which MIDI channel you are transmitting on from the PSR-S970 but let's assume its Channel 1, you can set your reface CP to ONLY receive on this channel (it will ignore data on all others). You can select any channel you desire - simply set the reface CP to receive on that channel. You can disconnect your PSR-S970 Keyboard from the PSR-S970 Tone Generator by setting the LOCAL CONTROL = OFF. In this mode, the keys will only send OUT MIDI data to external devices. This allows you to separate triggering internal sounds and only hear the reface.

Please go to the official Yamaha Download site and get the Update - it includes instructions - be sure to read through them before proceeding, then update your reface CP. It also includes a new Supplemental Manual with details on how to setup your reface CP to select a RECEIVE CHANNEL, (page 19 of the Supplemental Manual). If you have any other questions, post back here.

http://download.yamaha.com

Posted : 26/04/2016 7:38 pm
 Tom
Topic starter

thank you! doing the download now. just so I understand, you recommend setting MIDI channel on the reface, and in addition setting LOCAL CONTROL off on the 970?

I have kept Local Control ON so that I could create an EP sound using one of the 970 panel voices with the reface.....

really appreciate the insights on this forum!

Posted : 27/04/2016 6:35 pm
Bad Mister

Of course, if you wish the PSR-S970 to make sound, you should opt to leave LOCAL CONTROL = ON. Just wanted you to know about the proper way to isolate the two from each other (many just turn the volume down).

Posted : 27/04/2016 6:42 pm
 Tom
Topic starter

Thanks....update worked and was exactly what I needed to fully use the CP. thanks very much! I've said this on a few forums related to the 970 and arranger boards -- this reface is a really nice complement.....so much fun w/ its live effects.

Posted : 01/05/2016 3:24 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us