Notifications
Clear all

reface dx - midi out

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I do have a problem with midi-out on my reface dx:

if there is no external clock and the reface dx looper sets the tempo (reface dx is master) it sends midi-clock to its midi-out port - that works.
Anyhow whenever I put an external midi clock on reface dx midi-in-port to set the tempo for the looper (reface dx is slave) it does not transfer midi-clock to reface dx midi-out-port. I do think this is a bug...

Posted : 11/11/2015 6:49 pm
Bad Mister

If you send MIDI Clock into the reface DX it will automatically sync to the external clock. In that situation it does not output MIDI clock, naturally. It is the slave. You are looking for a MIDI THRU, it is not a bug, the reface DX simply does not have a MIDI THRU. There is no "transfer" - what you are thinking is MIDI THRU (where incoming signal is or can be sent unchanged to the THRU port. Sorry, the reface instruments to no have a MIDI THRU port.

Posted : 13/11/2015 11:42 am
Topic starter

Dear Yamaha,
I do think that the DX should have an option to allow midi-system-data (or at least clock) to pass through to its Midi-out-port when it is slaved to an external midi-clock.

Posted : 14/11/2015 12:24 pm

I CANNOT believe there is no MIDI Thru.
I'm sorry but sometimes you just wonder who designs your gear. How van you you not incorporate MIDI THRU?
It's a f********* joke?

Posted : 15/01/2016 9:31 pm
 leon

Ridiculous. TONS of ancient (read 80's) CHEAP drum machines have no midi thru port but will still transmit midi clock from the OUT port when they are in slave mode. It's completely ridiculous to provide a looper feature and then FORCE that device to be the last in the chain.

Very bummed. I was excited to buy it today and on discovering this limitation will most probably return it tomorrow.

Posted : 01/06/2016 12:11 am
 Kat

Hi there, just got the Reface DX and I'm trying to sync the looper BPM with my KORG electribe sampler via MIDI. My question is: Do I need an additional MIDI clock or can I get the BPM from the KORG electribe sampler (Master) into the Reface DX by just putting a MIDI cable on the KORG MIDI Out and the Reface MIDI OUT? Thank you for your help <3

Posted : 18/01/2021 6:29 pm
Bad Mister

MIDI works OUT of the device that is the master clock (this will be the device that determines the Tempo), to the IN of the device that is to follow the clock. Not OUT to OUT (that will not work).
The reface will automatically Sync to MIDI when Clock arrives at the MIDI In or via USB.

Posted : 19/01/2021 7:20 pm

If you send MIDI Clock into the reface DX it will automatically sync to the external clock. In that situation it does not output MIDI clock, naturally. It is the slave. You are looking for a MIDI THRU, it is not a bug, the reface DX simply does not have a MIDI THRU. There is no "transfer" - what you are thinking is MIDI THRU (where incoming signal is or can be sent unchanged to the THRU port. Sorry, the reface instruments to no have a MIDI THRU port.

Thx for that. I had the same delusion. Anyway, Reface DX is the best synth, especially for beginners

Posted : 31/01/2021 8:35 am
 x

the reface DX simply does not have a MIDI THRU.

Is it possible to get a firware update for this? Or is the code published somewhere?

Posted : 09/02/2021 7:11 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us