Clear all

Reface DX Patch Editor

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
12.5 K Views
 Gary
Topic starter

I just uploaded a reface DX Patch Editor for the Lemur. This uses the SYSEX commands to allow one to edit all patch data including envelope control, patch naming, LFO and effects. I generated separate tabs for each operator. The envelopes have the capability to have not only preset options but also the ability to copy the envelopes from one operator to another. Besides Faders most controls also have increment/decrement buttons for fine adjustment. As this is my first attempt to program using Lemur, I would appreciate any feedback concerning software bugs and possible improvements.

Enjoy.

Attached files

Posted : 29/09/2015 9:07 am
 Tom

A great template!
Makes editing even easier as the also well thought interface of the DX itself.
The 'get voice' button is very clever and I also like the visualization of the envelopes.
There is just one disadvantage of this template......it makes my template complete obsolete. 😉

Posted : 10/10/2015 3:10 pm
 Gary
Topic starter

Thanks for the compliments. I just wanted to also thank you for introducing me to the Lemur Software. Previously I have made some Reaktor Ensembles (Optosonic, Auto Harmony and SY_FM) but I sort of like programming in Lemur.

I was planning on making an update in the next weeks. I did find a bug with the envelope copy from operator 4 to operator 1 where the Rate 4 does not copy over correctly, but I did not put that update on the Lemur user library yet. If you find any other bugs please tell me so that I can update them at the same time.

Besides that I was thinking about planning on making a Lemur Template Modulation Matrix for the Reface DX. The modulation sources would be from Lemur like its LFO's or Faders. I would then have these not just modulate the Operator Levels and Feedback but I may also try and see if I can modulate other SYS EX parameters like LFO Depths AM and PM Depths, LFO Frequency and the Effect Parameters. The Challenge would be to see If I can have real time modulations of not just CC messages but also Sysex Messages. Then I would see if I can squeeze this into my actual Voice editor or make a different Lemur Template. I do not want the edits I make to interfere with the actual voice itself but rather add a real time modulation. I may try and make 4 to 8 modulation slots each with up to 16 destinations and 6 modulators (3 sliders and 3 LFO's). If you have any ideas on possible parameters to modulate I would like your input as I always seem to make similar sounds.

Posted : 13/10/2015 5:17 pm

Hi Gary

Great template, many thanks for providing this! It really unlocks the capabilities of the DX.

I think a great addition would be an overview of all operator envelopes on one screen in an "OP all" tab. I tried to do this in Lemur based on your template with copy/paste but while it looks good on the screen (I attached a screenshot) it does not work at all... Maybe you can help if you find the idea interesting.

Regards

Christof

Attached files

Posted : 29/12/2015 11:09 am

Gary, very nice work with the template. I second Christof's idea on the env page. Also your idea on adding a modulation source page would be really interesting, perhaps including a simple arpeggiator as well. Have you had time to work on the template?

A few comments:

- typos in Pitch_Env page: in the LFO enable buttons, 3 P ENV => 3 P LFO. Many of the sliders have inconsistent legends (R4 Rel, R1 Att, L3 (S) etc).
- env copy works if you use the sliders, but not if you adjust the env by hand
- I wonder if you could clarify the algo fig a bit, perhaps use a more conventional way of representing the links between carriers and modulators
- when connecting iPad via wifi to the mac using the liine daemon, I can send voices and edit them but cannot receive the current patch from dx (get voice does not do anything although dx responds to the request and sends the data, based on looking at the midi monitor), perhaps this is just me. When linking dx with iPad directly everything works fine

Great work, thanks.

Kimmo

Posted : 31/12/2015 10:52 am
stefano

Amazing editor! I rescaled it for my Nexus7 screen and it works perfectly!
Please continue with this project, 'cause it contributes making the DX the easier FM synth to program ever!
Thanks a loooot !

Posted : 16/07/2016 8:58 am
 Gary
Topic starter

After almost two years, I finally got around to updating the Reface DX Lemur Template.

I added a tab that allows viewing basic editing and copying of all four envelopes. Although this view does not have the fine adjustments or envelope presets of the individual operator view, it is useful in getting a feel for how a patch works.

A tab was also added for modulations. This will take a little explanation to understand fully how it can be used. I ended up using a single ball for the modulation source. The action of the ball is controlled by the four switched and two knobs below the ball. The first switch enables/disables the modulation capability. The second switch provides a freeze control for the x-axis; which results in a single y modulations source. The next switch chooses between MS(Mass Spring) and a tracking behavior of the ball. This allows it to either be like an xy touchpad or a dual axis LFO. Next is a speed mode multiplier of fast or slow. This allows finer low speed frequency control. Next are the speed and friction controls. For modulation destinations I ended up using just the operator volumes and feedbacks. When I tried to make other destinations I could only end up with four modulation slots and I preferred having eight preset modulation destinations. Each modulation slot is identical with the left most four controlling Operator volume and the rightmost controlling operator feedback. The mod sources are none, X, 1-X(inverted X), Y and 1-Y(Inverted Y). with X and Y being scaled on 0-1. Each of these is then has a polarity and depth control as well. The actual output of the controller is then added to the fader position below.. To the right of this there are three range indicators showing the controller values being outputted. The top range is then span that the output can be controlled over. Not that if it ever turns red it indicated that parameter will be saturated either high or low for part of its commanded range. The second Range shows the commanded output and the bottom one is the current value set by the fader below. It sounds complicated but after using it a while it will make sense.

On individual operator pages, I added another preset envelope; this one being for a Percussive sound. Again one thing I really liked about my SY22/TG33 was the fact that it had preset envelopes as starting points. Using these can allow one to make patches very quickly. Also on some of these I stretched out the Organ and PAD sound to allow for better starting points. Finally for all envelopes I disabled the ability to manually move the points as these were never transmitted over midi anyways.

Attached files

Posted : 30/08/2017 12:33 am
stefano

Sorry, OPs, can you delete this message??

Posted : 17/10/2017 12:11 pm
stefano

Ohhhh THIS IS GOOD NEWS !!!!
I use your editor for Lemur since day one. I rescaled it in the past for an Android Nexus7 tablet, but now am using it on an iPad 4.
Tomorrow I'll be in my studio: downloading and testing the updated editor will be the first thing I'll do.
I use this editor with 2 tracks in Cubase (one for midi out, one for in and obviously a third track for notes going to the Reface) and in this way I can adjust and program my Reface DX even when working straight a track, but there's more: this editor let me record in Cubase all the possible automations without messing with sysex.

This editor is brillant and expands the capabilities of the DX! Thanks a lot!

Posted : 17/10/2017 12:13 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us