Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Setting different YC rotary speeds using midi?

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi!
I just purchased the Reface YC and the CS, and I'm still waiting for a CP. Great sound!
I would like to set the rotary and the vibrato speed on my YC using midi.
I guess the message 30 00 11 with the value 00-03, will set the rotary speed off, slow or fast, but is it possible to set different speeds like 0-127?
From the midi documentation under "Control change" it seems like this is possible... If it is, can you please post the midi message that will achieve this.
Is it possible to sync the rotary speed when using midi?

Thank you for your help!

Posted : 08/04/2016 10:10 pm
Bad Mister

I guess the message 30 00 11 with the value 00-03, will set the rotary speed off, slow or fast, but is it possible to set different speeds like 0-127?

No.

Is it possible to sync the rotary speed when using midi?

No.

I see where you're going but sorry, no. The Rotary Speaker, much like the real thing, is not variable as you are describing. And I think they were going for that 'classic' experience.

Posted : 10/04/2016 12:06 pm
Topic starter

Yes, it got that classic sound. That's why I bought it 🙂

But it would be useful to be able to set and sync the vibrato speed with midi.

Thank you for you reply!

Posted : 11/04/2016 7:48 am
Bad Mister

But it would be useful to be able to set and sync the vibrato speed with midi.

I do understand they are looking into improving the Vibrato (and Chorus) but I really doubt it MIDI Sync is a possibility as Midi tempos go as high as 300 bpm - it ceases being vibrato once you get a certain point.
What is your application? Just curious, if the engineers ask me...

Posted : 11/04/2016 3:03 pm
Topic starter

Sorry for reposting!

Posted : 14/04/2016 10:58 am
Topic starter

I can do that, but I know my way of doing things is not for everyone 🙂
Being able to set the rate/speed of the vibrato/tremolo, I would guess is as old as the effect itself. The CP has this feature, and Jimi Hendrix even had a vibrato speed knob on his 60s Fender Twin Reverb.
Sometimes I set the effect speed and make it interact with the groove of the song (quarter, half speed, etc.)
But if I'm able to set the vibrato speed, then syncing to midi is not that important. Syncing can save some time. Like if I have a midi setup with multiple synths, and I suddenly decide to change the main tempo of my song, then the effects would follow... Today when a daw project can consist of hundreds of tracks, I often pick the delay, tremolo, phaser, vibrato effects that can be synched with the tempo of the song. (The sound of the effect plugin always comes first of course)

Bottom line... The YC sounds great! Midi sync is not essential, but being able to set the desired vibrato speed would be very nice feature on the YC 🙂

Thanks again!

Posted : 14/04/2016 2:15 pm
Bad Mister

Being able to set the rate/speed of the vibrato/tremolo, I would guess is as old as the effect itself. The CP has this feature, and Jimi Hendrix even had a vibrato speed knob on his 60s Fender Twin Reverb.

Actually rate/speed are not as old as the effect, and YC is an organ... (Not an amp). On the organ the vibrato rate/speed were indeed fixed. But engineers are aware of the other uses of vibrato and chorus on other devices, obviously. Authentic or variable is always going to be a debatable subject. 🙂

Back in the day, if you listen closely neither the vibrato, nor the chorus syncs to the tempo. If it is something you've come to like, that's cool... These are the things that the designers wrestle with... The Wurlitzer e.piano, the tremolo speed was not variable, if you want the authentic fixed speed and depth set the knobs at 12 o'clock... They are looking at the YC.

Thanks for your input.

Posted : 14/04/2016 8:58 pm
 Adam

Hi Bad Mister. This might be an old thread but I saw you said. "I do understand they are looking into improving the Vibrato (and Chorus)...

I've just bought a Reface YC and the Vibrato Chorus is the only thing I don't like. It may just be down to personal preference. But anyway did anything ever happen with regards to making improvements to the Vibrato Chorus?

I expect all resources are focused on newer models now like the YC61. But us YC owners would appreciate any update.

Adam.

Posted : 30/01/2020 3:52 pm
Bad Mister

The YC61 has nailed the various Vibrato and Chorus settings (done by physical modeling), in fact, playing the YC61 tone wheel Organ sounds will bring an immediate smile to any old-timers who have had the privilege of playing the classic B3... the “H1”, “H2” and “H3” organs are meticulous recreations, done using VCM (Virtual Circuitry Modeling) this includes the Vibrato and Chorus functions as implemented on the original and two brand-new VCM Rotary Speaker models — this is not something that could be easily added to the refaceYC in an update (sorry). refaceYC is already the best value in organ sound, as it is. As a fan of the refaceYC, you’ll probably be interested in the following about the just announced YC61.

Virtual Circuitry Modeling
” The VCM Organ tone generator was developed to faithfully reproduce the sound of a tonewheel-type vintage organ.
VCM stands for “Virtual Circuitry ModelingTM,” and is technology that uses DSP to emulate the functions of an analog electric circuit. This technology enables the instrument to reproduce sound with an analog-like depth, which cannot be reproduced by a simple digital sound.
By applying this technology, the VCM Organ tone generator fully reproduces the following characteristics of a vintage organ:
• Natural, organic harmonies when playing chords—thanks to a matrix circuit that connects the keyboard, tone wheels, and drawbars
• Percussion sound with remarkable presence—based on vacuum tube circuit analysis
• Key clicks and leakage sounds—based on electrical circuit analysis
• Natural sound distortion—simulating vintage vacuum tube pre-amplifiers
• Vibrato/Chorus effect—from scanner-based vibrato circuitry
• Changes in frequency characteristics and drive amount that responds dynamically to operation of the expression pedal
Adjustment of these detailed parameters makes it possible to accurately recreate the distinctive characteristics of the original instruments—including all of their specially attractive imperfections, faults and even deterioration.”

If you are a fan of 425lb classic, you’ll need to sit down behind the YC61 (release is scheduled for Spring) and experience, the attention to the details you’ve grown to expect from Yamaha!! It’s a 16 pound stage keyboard centered around the organ interface, sound and touch. Boo ya! It’s spectacular! Like the CP73/CP88, it also features a host of incredibly useful sounds for gigging ‘on stage’. Quick access being the key...

The transistor combo organs (including the classic British (Vox), and Italian (Farfisa) type — “F1”,”F2”, “F3” are created by the 128 note FM engine.. as are some of the electric pianos, pads, basses, leads, percussion, etc.

YC61, a new classic! Fans of modern organ, rejoice! (Did I mention you can MIDI an external controller to add the second manual?)

Posted : 31/01/2020 5:35 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us