Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Should I buy the MOXF8

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi, I recently pawned my Motif 8. I had it for years. I love it. I want to get it back. However, instead of paying the 1K to get it out, should I just buy a Motif MOFX8? Will I still get the sounds and arpeggios I used on songs recorded using my Motif 8? Is the MOXF8 the Motif 8 only better?

Posted : 24/10/2015 4:49 pm
Bad Mister

Hi Curtis, welcome to Yamaha Synth

The Motif 8 (2001-2003) came with 84MB of Wave ROM and a four Element architecture. It has 256 arpeggios, 384 Preset Voices, 48 Drum Kits, 128 Performances... 62 notes of polyphony
The MOXF (2013-present) comes with 741MB of Wave ROM and eight Element architecture, It has 7981 arpeggios, 512 Preset Voices, 64 Drum Kits, 512 Performance,..128 notes of polyphony etc., etc., you get the idea. The MOXF is light version of the Motif XF.

Motif = 84MB _1309 Waveforms (4 Element)
Motif ES = 175MB _1859 Waveforms (4 Element)
Motif XS = 355MB _2670 Waveforms (8 Element)
Motif XF - 741MB _3977 Waveforms (8 Element)

MO = 175MB _1859 Waveforms (4 Element)
MOX = 355MB _2670 Waveforms (8 Element)
MOXF = 741MB _3977 Waveforms (8 Element)

It is clearly a full decade of advances and improvement... If you still want to get the exact sounds and arpeggios from 2001 - I cannot guarantee that you will have everything that the Motif 8 did, no one was attempting to recreate the Motif 8 when the MOXF was designed. It is truly like taking a time tunnel and arriving more than a decade in the future. I suggest you go to your nearest Yamaha dealer and try one. The MOXF has been the best selling music production (workstation) for all of its years out, and it was preceded by the MOX, and MO before it... so for the past 10 year (2005-2015) this series MO-MOX-MOXF have been the clear dominant keyboard in sales in its category (no question). Now that does not mean you will like it - which is why I suggest you head to your local music store and give it a try.

The good news is you will not have to start over... 100% of what you learned to work the Motif 8 will apply to working the MOXF... you will be surprisingly able to navigate the instrument with ease. There will be tons of NEW features for you to explore... Arpeggios, for example, have been entirely re-invented!!!

FLASH BOARD (1GB) will allow you to load the entire history of Motif sounds... the memory allows you to select custom Library sounds and keep them in semi-permanent memory within your MOXF. All the Motif-series and S-series piano Waveforms for example are available (free) to load into memory so everything from the Power Grand (Motif), to the Full Concert Grand and the much loved S700 from the S90 ES can all be resident in your MOXF!!!

My suggestion: Go play one, then buy one if you're ready...

Posted : 24/10/2015 8:52 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us