Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Soundmondo not working with my Reface CS

21 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I just recieved my Reface CS a few days ago, however I havent been able to get soundmondo working. 🙁

Im using the included 5pin midi breakout cable, connecting it together with a midi to usb for my computer. It recognizes and works, but soundmondo doesnt (no green light saying its connected or anything..)

I dont know what to do, since Ive even bought a MD-BT01 thinking it might actually work better that way. But still nothing.. It pairs and everything, but I still can't get a proper connection. I'm on an LG V20, using the latest version of Chrome. I also allowed midi access, tried incognito mode, but nothing. Its all the same story on my desktop computer as well. One thing to note though, is the "reface disconnected" text isnt shown on my mobile device, only on my computer.

I was really hoping to try this out. But I guess I can't. There doesnt seem to be a lot of information on this either.. So I'm stuck. Help please?

Posted : 03/10/2017 10:11 am
Bad Mister

Hmmm! Difficult to say what's not working. It could be a site problem, it could be a Bluetooth issue, it could be an Android issue... honestly I'll simply need to report it and wait to hear back.

LV 20 (had to look that up, never heard of it until now).... you may want to call Customer Support, as they speak to far more users than I do, and may have additional info on your particular android device.

Posted : 03/10/2017 6:35 pm
Topic starter

Yeah, the LG V20 is a bit of an unknown one (due to poor marketing), but it is LG's flagship phone from last year.

Other than that though, I suspect it might be a Chrome/Website/Android thing. Since I actually havent been able to get Web Midi to work at all yet on both my desktop computer (Windows 10) and phone (Android 7.0 Nougat) I wonder if using the usb connection (a cable which I don't have) on the reface instead of 5pin midi would make a difference though. There seems to be more success using that. Unfortunately I just won't have wireless..

But for testing, I briefly tried soundmondo on another persons iPhone (the soundmondo app) using bluetooth, and it works beautifully. But since it isn't mine, that wouldn't work for me..

Would be nice to have soundmondo as reference, since I'm entirely new to Synths. Hope I can get it working.

Edit: Seems to be down to Chrome or the Website. Found an app called CW Midi (first one in the Google Play store). I'm able to send signals to the reface and play it wirelessly.

Edit #2: Seems to be coming down to the website. I was able to get Pianu.com working with my reface on my desktop computer. However, it doesn't work with my Phone.

Posted : 04/10/2017 3:05 am
 amy

Hi Justin,

Thanks for expressing the details about the issue. First, can you please ensure the WebMIDI plugin is correctly functioning. The first time you go to the site, you should have been prompted by Chrome to allow MIDI access. To verify this - please go to chrome://settings/content/midiDevices on your browser and ensure the Soundmondo site is listed under "Allow". If you didn't allow it during the first time, you will see it under Block. If so - please remove this from the Block list.

There was an issue last week with the site, but it's been resolved, and we haven't heard any other reports. Please let us know if this works, and if not - we can continue the troubleshooting process.

Thanks,

Amy - Synth Forum Community Coordinator

Posted : 06/10/2017 3:49 pm
Topic starter

Hi, appreciate the assistance. But yes, I was prompted the first time and the Soundmondo website is set to "Allow" ( , ). However, it still doesn't seem to be functioning. I'm using 5pin midi, with the breakout cable.

Posted : 07/10/2017 8:54 am

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problems... My DX is directly connected via USB to my Mac Pro running MacOS Sierra (10.12.5) and I am using the latest Chrome version. The site recognizes my DX after allowing Chrome to use my MIDI devices, but I can't sync or create any sounds. When I click sync I'm directed to the "create a voice" page and when creating a voice nothing happens after clicking save.

Posted : 07/10/2017 9:18 am
Topic starter

damian wrote:

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problems... My DX is directly connected via USB to my Mac Pro running MacOS Sierra (10.12.5) and I am using the latest Chrome version. The site recognizes my DX after allowing Chrome to use my MIDI devices, but I can't sync or create any sounds. When I click sync I'm directed to the "create a voice" page and when creating a voice nothing happens after clicking save.

Not actually the same problem.. The site doesnt even say my reface is recognized. It says "disconnected" with the red circle no matter what. I cant even click Sync, because its grayed out and does absolutely nothing. Oddly enough though, Soundmondo still seem to take priority over other Midi programs (DAWS, etc). So i have to close Soundmondo for those to work..

Posted : 08/10/2017 9:06 am
 amy

Justin,

First off, so sorry this is giving you trouble. You’ve probably already done this, but please try to turn the CS off and back on again while plugged in via USB, and see if you get the 'green light'. If that doesn't work, please unplug, turn on the instrument, and then plug it back in. Hopefully that will reset the connection and it'll work.

If that doesn't work - please let us know and we'll continue to troubleshoot.

Amy - Community Coordinator

Posted : 11/10/2017 7:37 pm
Topic starter

amy wrote:

Justin,

First off, so sorry this is giving you trouble. You’ve probably already done this, but please try to turn the CS off and back on again while plugged in via USB, and see if you get the 'green light'. If that doesn't work, please unplug, turn on the instrument, and then plug it back in. Hopefully that will reset the connection and it'll work.

If that doesn't work - please let us know and we'll continue to troubleshoot.

It's all good. I mean, overall I'm pretty satisfied with my Reface, it's fun. But to not really have something which was advertised to work together. A bit of a bummer that I can't use it. Also, if you mean the USB connection on the Reface. I don't have the cable for it. I only have a regular 5 pin MIDI to USB cable, which I have connected to the included breakout cable. I also have a MD-BT01. In which I also recently tried pairing it together with a bluetooth adapter connected to my Windows 10 computer. Along with two programs, MIDIBerry and LoopMIDI. I'm able to play completely wirelessly now (only issue now is latency), which is really cool and all. But out of curiousity, I also tried Soundmondo. However, it still isn't working. I may have to go out, and buy one of those USB Type A to Type B cables to see if that works. Though, I thought it would work already with 5 pin MIDI to USB..

Posted : 12/10/2017 7:05 am
Martin
Eminent Member

Also, if you mean the USB connection on the Reface. I don't have the cable for it.

What's your problem with this USB cable? They won't cost you a fortune. And if you happen to own a printer with an USB connection you probably already have such a cable lying around somewhere that you can use. Unlike Yamaha's mini-midi-breakout cable it's not an exotic type of cable.

Posted : 15/10/2017 11:04 am
Topic starter

Martin wrote:

Also, if you mean the USB connection on the Reface. I don't have the cable for it.

What's your problem with this USB cable? They won't cost you a fortune. And if you happen to own a printer with an USB connection you probably already have such a cable lying around somewhere that you can use. Unlike Yamaha's mini-midi-breakout cable it's not an exotic type of cable.

True, but kind of annoying that after all this time. No one ever told me "Soundmondo ONLY works with a printer cable" Otherwise I would of just bought a cable in the first place.. Instead of trying to mess with 5pin MIDI, and Yamaha's MD-BT01 (which was said to work together with Android in a previous thread https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/soundmondo-on-android). I wasn't even sure if I had this cable lying around either since I don't print things, and I was unaware of this type of connection. I'm also completely new to Synthesizers/Keyboards/Pianos in general. In the end, I don't really think I should of had to resort to having to steal a cable from the only printer in the house. But okay, problem solved I guess. But then again not really, because I originally wanted to use Soundmondo, with Android over Bluetooth in the first place. But I guess maybe, Chrome + Yamaha's MD-BT01 is picky over which device it is. I know it works with Android though because I can literally play the Reface using my Phone using an app called CW MIDI ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.coordiwise.ble.midi).

Posted : 15/10/2017 12:25 pm

Hi,

I have the same problem than damian has! I have a DX and midi seems to work (tested with div. DAWs). reface DX midi is recognized by the OS (Win 8.1). If I start soundmondo, the browser ask me to let it work with midi and the DX will be recognized, but I cannot install any sound from the site. I have attached a picture.

Attached files

Posted : 30/10/2017 8:15 pm
 amy

Thomas,

We are unable to recreate the issue, but have escalated it to someone else on the team. If they are able to recreate it, we'll let you know.
Sorry for the inconvenience you are experiencing.

Thank you.

Posted : 31/10/2017 5:32 pm

Are there any updates on any of these issues?

I recently purchased the Reface CS, and the MD-BT01. I successfully got Soundmondo to work using a usb cable, but it won't work through the md-bt01. This is definitely a disappointment.

I'm using Mac OS 10.12.6 and Chrome version 63.0.3239.108

Also, I don't have an iPad or iPhone, and it's a bit lame that the only way I can use the reface "app" is via the soundmondo website. Why isn't there an app for mac OS? Is this some kind of a business/rights issue, or has it simply not been developed?

Posted : 02/01/2018 2:19 am

Dear Amy

I am having the same problem with the sync button, connection established with DX reface. Tried different versions of google chrome to no avail. When is the fix likely to be applied? Disappointing!

Posted : 11/02/2018 9:42 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us