Clear all

System exclusives for a DX Reface voice dump

20 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Martin
Eminent Member

Bad Mister wrote:

I don't know what that second byte is either, it is not in the file that I generated.

Those second bytes, OA, just after F0, are what is inserted as a count byte when a SysEx message is used in Midifile format instead of raw System Exclusive format. It tells a sequencer that 10 sysex bytes are following.

Posted : 17/02/2017 10:20 pm
 Arn
Topic starter

Thanks; that helped me find the problem.

Uploads work.

Cool!

I have what I hope will be one last question, after which I'll try not to bother you.

Having uploaded a voice to the DX Reface, I appear to have to manually push the Store button and select which of the 32 voices I want to store it in, then hit Store again.

I'd like the software I'm writing to be able to upload voices to the DX Reface without any human intervention.

Is there a way to do this?

Perhaps there are system exclusives to simulate pushing the buttons on the synthesizer, like back in the days of the DX-7.

Once again, thanks for all your help.

Also, thanks Bad Mister for explaining that extra byte; good to know.

:Arn

Posted : 18/02/2017 8:25 pm
Martin
Eminent Member

Arn wrote:
Thanks; that helped me find the problem.

You're welcome 🙂

Having uploaded a voice to the DX Reface, I appear to have to manually push the Store button and select which of the 32 voices I want to store it in, then hit Store again.

I'd like the software I'm writing to be able to upload voices to the DX Reface without any human intervention.
Is there a way to do this?

No there isn't, which indeed is very annoying if you try to develope software to automize and/or remote control such actions. I have posted this as a feature request for future firmware updates more than once in one of the threads in this forum. I hope Yamaha is listening.

BTW: I'm curious what kind of software you are working on. What platform? What programming language? Will it be Propietary or Open Source software?

Also, thanks Bad Mister for explaining that extra byte; good to know.

Correction: Bad Mister couldn't explain. It was me, trying an educated guess.
😀

Posted : 19/02/2017 9:21 am
 Arn
Topic starter

Thanks again...

That's unfortunate. Yes, let's hope Yamaha is listening.

I've been hired to do a feasibility application for a multiple-instrument voice manager. They wanted me to start with the DX Reface.

I'm doing it for Windows; it's possible that my employer will ultimately port it to other platforms at such time as it's complete. It's written in C. I don't know what sort of distribution they have in mind.

I'll submit my results and see what happens next.

I really appreciate all your help.

Posted : 19/02/2017 3:09 pm
 Arn
Topic starter

Hello again,

Thought you might want to see what my research ultimately turned into: http://www.mindworkshop.com/voxman.html

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Posted : 09/03/2017 2:52 am
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us