Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Integration in cubase 8.010 does not solve the problems for my S70XS (my system: windows 7 (64 bit) with VST Editor 1.63 / RME Fireface 800)

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello Bad Mister,

for me it is unbelieveable that I lost my comfortable midi vst 3 connection in cubase by the last upgrade from cubase 7.5 to now at last 8.010. I ever hoped, to take only advantages by the cooperation between Yamaha and Steinberg. Is to expect that Steinberg or Yamaha makes an upgrade to fix these problems?

What is now! the best solution to change s70 midi tracks into audio files?
You´ve tried to offer a "solution" in this blog by connecting the S70xs as an "external instrument" - but for me your info causes infortunately many confusions. I didn´t really understand how to connect the audio and midi ports between the vst editor, cubase and my Fireface 800. Could you give me please a step-by-step instruction for my system?
The actual german manual for the vst Editor 1.63 gives not the right answer.

For example: the new render-in-place function does not run with my S70 midi tracks. The audiofile is empty. So I just set my outputs back in the way that the s70 ist not installed as external instrument, to record my mdi tracks at least in the old traditional way to audio files.

many regards
Jürgen Köppe

Posted : 12/04/2015 3:18 am
Bad Mister

Welcome to Yamaha Synth.

Sorry, you having issues trying to connect your S70 XS to your computer, but that's why we're here. We can help you. The cause of your problem is likely NOT, anything to do with what you think. Sounds to us like you simply are proceeding incorrectly. The issue with the Yamaha Editor VST routing within Cubase was indeed fixed in 8.0.10 - your description does not fall into the problem area covered by the issue. Your issue seems completely separate from the issue dealt with in my blog. Yours appears to be a simple configuration/routing issue. "Render-In-Place" did not work in Cubase 7.5 because it wasn't implemented in Cubase until Cubase Pro 8 and was not the issue addressed in the Cubase update. The fix was for a timing offset that occurred when using the Yamaha VST3 Editors alone to route audio and Midi... Not your situation... You are using an external audio interface.

You´ve tried to offer a "solution" in this blog by connecting the S70xs as an "external instrument" - but for me your info causes infortunately many confusions. I didn´t really understand how to connect the audio and midi ports between the vst editor, cubase and my Fireface 800. Could you give me please a step-by-step instruction for my system?

The solution of setting up an External Instrument outlined in my blog, worked prior to, and even after, the Cubase Pro 8 update to v8.0.10 because it is how VST Routing works. It may not be necessary for you to setup that way. In fact you can use the simpler configuration I outline below.

I do not/cannot provide direct support for the RME Fireface 800 but it should not matter what you use as your external audio interface. We can only tell you when and where to refer to its documentation. The RME Fireface 800 will work fine for your purpose. We will refer to it as your "external audio interface". And we will assume you have its audio driver installed and working within Cubase. (If not, please let us know).

You will be using the USB-MIDI driver of the S70 XS, and the FW ASIO audio driver of your external audio interface. Make sense?

For example: the new render-in-place function does not run with my S70 midi tracks. The audiofile is empty. So I just set my outputs back in the way that the s70 ist not installed as external instrument, to record my mdi tracks at least in the old traditional way to audio files.

We don't know if it is a language issue or a misunderstanding of how VST Routing works... But you cannot render-in-place "MIDI" tracks... You must setup so the RETURNED audio of those MIDI Tracks gets rendered. An "empty" result is most likely the result of no audio being RETURNED (properly) to the S70 XS's VST AUDIO LANE in Cubase. Here's how to troubleshoot this:

Cubase main track view.
If you have no audio signal showing in that VST INSTRUMENT > S90XS/S70XS VST > audio lane, then a routing error is the cause.

If you would like anything like a step-by-step we would need a little more info about how you've configured your setup:
How are you delivering MIDI to and from the S70 XS... you don't mention it, either 5-pin MIDI cables or USB? If you are using 5-pin MIDI cables please let us know.... We will assume you have connected via USB, and have the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver.

Make sure you have downloaded and installed:
_ Yamaha USB-MIDI driver v3.1.3 for Windows (64-bit) connect the XS to the computer via a USB cable
_ install the S70XS REMOTE TOOLS for Windows v1.1.4
_ S90 XS/S70 XS Editor Standalone/VST version 1.6.3 for Windows

Instead of setting up an External Instrument (as described in the blog article), you can opt to use the Editor VST to route (return) the audio from your RME to the Cubase VST Instrument Audio Lane:

Open a New Project.
Launch the S90 XS/S70 XS VST... Go to the RACK INSTRUMENTS side of the VST INSTRUMENT setup area.
Under EXTERNAL > Find "S90 XS/S70 XS VST"
This will create the VST INSTRUMENT FOLDER, the S90 XS/S70 XS VST Folder, and in that Folder an AUTOMATION LANE and AUDIO LANE.
You will be asked if you would like to create a MIDI Track for this plug-in ... When you create this MIDI TRACK please take note of the MIDI OUT assignment made by this macro.

Please notice the Editor window reports at the very top (No Audio). If this appears - it should be the "big clue" that we have not setup to Return Audio from the S70 XS, yet ... This will disappear once we have properly created the path for the audio signal to return... within the Editor itself.

The MIDI OUT is directed to the "S90XS/S70XS VST- Midi In" specifically this means Midi data from that track travels to the VST EDITOR's MIDI INPUT... You should see the keys of the Editor's graphic keyboard respond to your playing when the track is selected, or when you playback data from that track while it is selected. Do you see this?

All subsequent Tracks that you create for the S70 XS should be routed similarly: MIDI OUT = "S90XS/S70XS VST- Midi In"
Please note, and this is what is often missed, the VST ROUTING requires the MIDI signal travel via the Editor, there are several options you can select to connect the S70 XS to this track's MIDI data. Please ensure the MIDI data you want to render-in-place traverses the Editor VST's MIDI IN.

Only Tracks routed through the VST Editor's MIDI IN can be used to be rendered-in-place.
If you set the MIDI OUT of a track straight to the "S70 XS-1 port1" well it never gets instructions from the editor.

In the Editor VST go to FILE > VSTi SETUP > here is where you must set the pathway for audio to get from the S70 XS into Cubase (DAW).

Again, we are at a disadvantage because you don't tell us how you are connected to your audio interface... We will assume that you at least have the main Left and Right analog outputs connected to your external audio interface (possibly you also connected the Assignable Left and Right as well)

This is the routing connection that returns audio from your synth to Cubase. You can follow the signal flow left to right. The S70 XS should be connected (center) to your external audio interface... Please select the appropriate inputs that the S70 XS is physically connected to on your audio interface... If for example you are plugged into inputs 5/6 on your interface then select your audio interface's inputs 5/6 in the center box... 5 for Left, 6 for Right. As soon as you select the appropriate ports on your external audio interface the "(No Audio)" will disappear from the top line of the Editor window.

You should see the meter of the VST AUDIO LANE indicate that audio is arriving (called "returning") from the VST. (Via the VST)

The full signal flow route:
MIDI data of the Track is sent to the Editor VST's Midi In, the Editor VST is in 1:1 communication with the S70 XS hardware, it generates the Audio, and Returns it (via the setting made within the Editor VST) to the VST INSTRUMENT Audio Lane in Cubase...

The MIDI track's activity indicator (single bar) shows data traveling from Cubase, the keys of the graphic Editor show that MIDI arriving in the Editor VST... the hardware generates audio, travels via main L/R outputs to your external audio interface... It returns audio to the VST INSTRUMENT Audio Lane where the stereo meter (two columns) indicates successful returning audio signal.

If you are seeing audio signal in the Audio Lane, you can use Render-in-Place. If no audio is indicated in this audio lane, then quite naturally, your audio file will be empty. This is not due to a bug but because the signal did not properly arrive at the destination to be rendered. Hope that helps you troubleshoot the issue. Render-in-Place will take place in real time, as the audio travels in real time from the real S70 XS into Cubase.

We had to make a lot if assumptions about your setup. If you are not hearing sound, look to your audio interface for your "monitoring" options. The external audio interface not only sends signal into the computer, it is responsible for routing signal from the computer to your monitor speakers. It will probably offer you multiple monitoring options to suit your different requirements.

If you are not successful, please provide additional details and screenshots (if possible) of your routing screens in Cubase Pro 8 and the Yamaha Editor VSTI SETUP. Let us know.

Please see step-by-step setup here for details and screens...
S90 XS/S70 XS Editor VST

Posted : 12/04/2015 2:05 pm
Topic starter

Hello Bad Mister,

thank your for your great trouble shooting. You recognized my real problem exactly, inspite of my confusing and incomplete question.
Now, I can use the "render-in-place" function!! My first mistake was to start the vst setup for the S70xs not as a rack instrument (F11) -
and the second was, that I´didn´t understand the right signal flow between the DAW, S70 XS.
Your instruction was great for me and I would like to contact you again, in case of other problems.

Many thanks and regards from Germany
Jürgen Köppe

Posted : 17/04/2015 2:56 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us