Notifications
Clear all

Cannot get Soundmondo to work with Montage 8 after firmware 3.51

21 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Jason
Illustrious Member

In order to test the login feature, I tried running a new profile of Chrome. What this does is essentially starts over with a "new install" of Chrome without having to get rid of your default profile.

To do this, I:

1) Created a directory "%userprofile%delsoundmondo"
I called it "delsoundmondo" to tell me to delete it later and also that it was for soundmondo experimenting.
2) Ran chrome pointing to this new directory:
"C:Program Files (x86)GoogleChromeApplicationchrome.exe" --user-data-dir="%userprofile%delsoundmondo"

Note that depending on your windows version, etc - the path for chrome.exe for you may be different.

3) Answered all of the setup questions with default answers and ignored any request to do anything like import contacts and the like.

4) Navigated to soundmondo.yamahasynth.com

5) The question to enable MIDI access popped up - answered in the affirmative to allow it. I know this isn't a step with any problems for you.

6) Pressed "Sign In" button and signed in with my account.

NOTE 1: I haven't changed any settings at all in Chrome - so this is plain-ole default settings
NOTE 2: The first time I signed in - the "sign in" button didn't update and it looked like I wasn't signed in.

7) Press the "Sign In" button a second time. This time, I was not prompted for any credentials and the button changed to a "Sign Out" button indicating I was signed in.

8) After signing in ("twice" ) - I plugged the USB cable into my computer and Montage USB TO HOST port. Then turned on the Montage

9) The indicator changed to a "Connected" status with a green circle to the left instead of red. Sync is still greyed out.

10) Navigated on Soundmondo by clicking on "Browse" which already shows some Montage+MODX sounds. I clicked on the first one available in the list "CAKE"

11) The Sync button lit up.

At least there's nothing apparently about the default browser settings that get in the way.

I went on to try to transfer "CAKE" to my Montage. This didn't work for me at first.

12) Pressed "Sync" button to try to transfer the "CAKE" performance to my keyboard's edit buffer. It didn't work. What I saw was "Now Transmitting MIDI bulk data" on the Montage touchscreen. I never saw the "receiving" data step. My Performance had no "blue flag" indicating it was currently edited. However, it was my default power-on Live Set Performance which is a fairly complex setup and "perhaps" something in the bulk data tripped up the house-of-cards that Soundmondo is.

13) As a workaround, I recalled the preset "Init Normal (AWM2)". After doing this, I could "Sync" bulk the Performances in the Browse list from Soundmondo to my Montage.

You also have to be sure that the [UTILITY] advanced settings have bulk send/receive turned on.

Note that I didn't have to use "Init Normal (AWM)". I had a Performance called "MSeq Experiment" that was a single Part and it had no problems being replaced with the Soundmondo performance using Sync. There may be something to the Part count -- or maybe just something else that is different between the two. Both of these are user bank Performances. One "works" (can be replaced) and one doesn't (cannot be replaced).

When it "works" I see the bulk message on Montage that data is being received.

Posted : 07/06/2021 9:50 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

File sharing - with the same limitations on data that Soundmondo has - can be done using Montage or MODX Connect depending on your keyboard.

You could load it in standalone mode (without a DAW), make sure it's "online", press the "recall" tab, press the (COMPUTER) <-- (KEYBOARD) icon. The one which shows the flow of data from the keyboard to your computer. It's the bottom icon out of these two showing a computer. After doing so, you'll see the Performance name you currently have active on your keyboard (Montage/MODX) now inside Montage Connect. Then press the bottom "Save" tab. Give the Performance a name (maybe matching the Performance name - plus anything else you deem is useful). I called mine "Caketest". Then press the green "Save" button . This will make an X7B file for Montage or an X8B file for MODX. You can do this for as many Performances as you want - creating an X#B (#=7 or 8 depending) for each Performance you want to trade.

Then pass around the files through whichever medium you wish.

Please only pass around items that are already free or are fully created by you. Neither Soundmondo or this method enforces this automatically - but it would be best to follow licensing guidelines for any content you have which is commercially available or otherwise has restricted distribution. Soundmondo and this method are the same in that you cannot include the Waveforms or custom user data (user curves, microtuning, etc) using either method. Even without being able to include the samples - it would be best not to make the Performance programming publicly available.

It isn't as "sleek" as the idea of Soundmondo - but can get the job done.

Posted : 07/06/2021 10:02 pm

After a long day of fighting with technology I though I would try SoundMondo again. Go figure but I got it to work. I changed nothing at all. I did notice that I had the blue "Sign OUt" button this time after I signed in. So......I thought "What the heck" and tried to sync one of my favorite performances. IT WORKED!!!! I have no reason as to why other than someone at Yamaha must have fixed it on the back end because I didn't change anything on my end. If so, a BIG thank you to whoever fixed something at Yamaha. I also hope this helps others. if you haven't tried it in a while, give it a go. I hope you get the same results.

Now it's on to learning the 6 million other things on the Montage I don't know. :p :p

Dave

Posted : 13/06/2021 2:52 am

Jason - now that I have it working I have the same thing on my screen as you showed in your computer picture a couple of forums back. The only thing that was different is I have the white "search" box which you did not have on yours. I'm not sure if you left it off or your computer screen actually didn't have the "search" function on it. Also, now I can press the highlighted blue "Sync" button and it moves the screen to the bottom of the authors template that has things like "tags", etc. Most of them are blank. When it wasn't functioning I never got to those screens.

Let me know if the bug left off the "search" window or if you took it off for some reason.

Dave

Posted : 13/06/2021 3:01 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Congrats on getting it to work - I'm not sure what the difference was in your setup or maybe in the website itself -- but the main thing is I'm glad it's finally operational for you.

Regarding "Search": It wasn't left off for any reason. I doubt search had anything to do with it. You can take your working soundmondo and make "Search" go away fairly easily.

Here's why my screenshot didn't have "Search": what is displayed on the screen depends on how wide your browser window is. If you do not have the browser window in full screen (like I rarely do) - then the browser width may not be wide enough to display everything. The site chooses to get rid of "Search" and the setup gear first. My window wasn't wide enough to show those which is why they were not on the screenshot. And you can "scrunch up" your own window to see them go away and Soundmondo will still work for you assuming it was working before you made the window scrunched up.

One other "backroom" theory is that maybe something has been fixed on Soundmondo now. I noticed that on the forum here, recently, I no longer have to press the "Sign In" button a second time. That's progress on this website. Perhaps some similar magic has been sprinkled on Soundmondo as well. I hope so - because there were/are too many trap doors that make the experience frustrating -- even for me and I can usually sort it out with enough effort.

Posted : 13/06/2021 4:43 am

Thanks for the explanation Jason. It seems like SoundMondo works for me now, and a few others, but there are still many people having trouble with it. I don't use Chrome as my regular browser, I use Firefox as I find it easier to navigate, but unfortunately Firefox does not support MIDI. I guess MIDI isn't high on their priority list.

Posted : 13/06/2021 9:16 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us