Notifications
Clear all

Soundmondo not working anymore?

42 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
10.1 K Views
Bad Mister

The question was does the sound change from E.Piano to acoustic piano?
It is strange that it receives the position of the Super Knob. We can’t say it “resets to 0” because the Super Knob setting could be stored in the program you are Sync’ing. Either way something is getting through...

Posted : 18/05/2019 8:26 am
 greg
Topic starter

Sorry I probably didn't word it correctly, yes the sound changes from EP to AC. The superknob reset happens with any performance

Posted : 18/05/2019 9:04 am
Bad Mister

Sorry I probably didn't word it correctly, yes the sound changes from EP to AC. The superknob reset happens with any performance

No, the Super Knob does not “reset”... the Super Knob can be stored to any position. In fact, set it “CFX Concert” it should start at 12 o’clock. Try starting with this Performance... does the Super Knob still jump to 0 when you attempt to SYNC?

Posted : 19/05/2019 2:35 am
 greg
Topic starter

Hi BM, yes it jumps to 0. It doesnt matter where I move the superknob to, it will go to 0 if i press sync or go back...

Posted : 19/05/2019 4:20 am
 Joel

Thanks for replying, must be either my Modx or my pc... I have tried everything, can't think what else it could be, oh well....

Posted : 16/06/2019 1:40 am
 Joel

I get a message that states Security Error; an attempt was made to break through the security policy the user agent. What is going on here. My Soundmondo does no work.

Posted : 16/06/2019 1:40 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Joel,

The security in place for Soundmondo (web version) has to do with how WebMIDI works. Soundmondo requires SysEx which, in turn, requires your browser is configured to allow SysEx for the SoundMondo website. I think under Chrome you receive a popup. Under Opera (the other browser which supports WebMIDI) - there's an icon with piano keys you have to click and allow for SysEx.

For Greg,

I noticed that sometimes the "Sync" button doesn't work for me although everything appears OK/healthy. What usually fixes this is logging in under my Soundmondo account. I believe at some point I could Sync without logging in - but perhaps at some point they required an account and login in order to sync. The fact that you went as far as reinstalling the OS covers most of the problems that would be cured by the usual suspects (which would be: uninstall the Yamaha Steinberg USB drivers, reboot, then install the drivers again). If you ever notice a number BEFORE your driver name (see https://www.yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/soundmondo-not-connecting-to-montage-via-chrome-on-windows-10 ) then this driver reinstall would be necessary to fix. Certainly reinstalling the OS covers that check box although is further than necessary.

Posted : 16/06/2019 3:55 am
Vincent

I just wanted to throw my two cents in here, I have a MODX8 that I am using with Soundmondo.
I have a Mac-Mini (Late 2012) version running Mac-OS Mojave V.10.14.6
My Version of Chrome is Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)
My MODX Connect is running Firmware V.1.10.0

OK, now that we have that out of the way, I hadn't messed with Soundmondo for quite awhile, because there are so many sounds in the MODX8 that I really didn't see the need right now. But, yesterday while I was waiting for the next video to drop from the Synths 74 expo I figured I would fool around with Soundmondo. Well, I did get the Green Connect Dot to light up but no matter what I tried I was unable to login. I tried everything, changed my password on the Yamaha Synth site, Messed around with the MODX Connect software, checked my Midi Setup, USB cables, made sure I was able to connect via my iPhone all of that checked out ok. I probably tried a bunch of other things but no need to bore all of you with more of this. Anyway, as a last resort I completely uninstalled the MODX Connect software and the Google Chrome browser, rebooted and then then reinstalled both of those and now everything works just fine. I was able to login just fine and I checked again this morning, and yes it still works. I'm not saying that this is the fix that will work for everyone, but it did work for me so I figured I would pass this on to you.

Good Luck,
Vincent

Posted : 23/09/2019 2:49 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

For the PC - you often have to uninstall and reinstall drivers too. This is due to the way drivers get renamed when there are multiple instances and how Soundmondo has not been tolerant of these modified driver names. "1-MONTAGE", "1-MODX", etc. are examples of the non-standard driver names.

Posted : 23/09/2019 3:57 pm
 joab

I have the same problem.
just in case this slightly different to what the OP experiences.....
the modx is connected via usb, works as a soundcard to the computer, modxconnect seems to work and the modx is seen in the daw.
in soundmondo the connect button is green and and once a sound is browsed the sync button can be actioned. Then a screen comes up asking to fill in name description and tag etc and allows the save button to be pressed at the bottom. but then nothing ...although the sync button goes prohibited. this is the same screen as if I clicked create not browse. On the modx the superknob goes to start and the piano sound is the CFX without the FM.

Seems to me that there is a bug in the software.

I edited this post as it didn't add value to this thread in it's original form.

Posted : 07/10/2019 12:11 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Joab,

Soundmondo works in two forms. There's the webmidi client and the iOS (app) client. I believe the iOS client is fairly straight-forward and have to assume this isn't what you're using. I do not use this either - so I sympathize. My webmidi client is Windows - which I know has bugs. They can be worked around - but this is an unnecessarily heavy burden to place on users when even a bug-free implementation isn't a walk in the park.

Assuming using WebMIDI (accessing Soundmondo using a browser):

WebMIDI is a relatively new technology. This means not every web browser is going to work - so this is hurdle number one. Using the right version of the right web browser. On Windows (and Mac) - the latest Chrome web browser should work.

Then hurdle number two are the permissions inside the browser. The browser needs to be granted permission to use Sysex. This is one of the more "aggressive" levels of security in WebMIDI as the thought is that SysEx could "trash" your gear if left open to any website to tinker with - so WebMIDI defaults the rights to send SysEx as OFF unless the user grants access. Normally - the first time a WebMIDI app tries to access your hardware - you will get a "popup" asking for you to grant that particular site permission to directly access your MIDI hardware. Even if you initially deny access to a website (intentionally or accidentally) - there's usually an icon on the same line (to the right) as the website ( https://yadda-yadda) you can press to grant permissions. On Chrome, it looks like like a few piano keys - a mini keyboard. When you hover over this icon and have given permission, you'll see "This page has full control of MIDI devices."

The next hurdle is you need drivers installed. This is the step where Yamaha's bug creeps in. Because, as far as I know, since the beginning of Montage's implementation and still carried over with both Montage and MODX - it's incredibly easy to foul up the driver environment in Windows (any supported version 7,8,10 for example). The drivers get fouled up for Soundmondo because Soundmondo's javascript isn't written well enough to deal with perfectly valid driver configurations. These same driver configurations which foul up Soundmondo do not affect any other application (Cubase, or any other DAW, or MODX/Montage Connect, or anything else which relies on the driver). And this is unfortunate. Because it's already hard enough to get all the other steps right that generally any other WebMIDI implementation would need. But this bug fouls up the experience above and beyond what any other robust WebMIDI application (which is hard enough to get working already). That said -- it's not difficult to find, on Windows, if you have this driver issue. When you hover over the bottom-right task bar in Windows and you have MODX (or Montage) as your soundcard - hovering over will say "MONTAGE-1" or "MONTAGE" or "MODX" or "MODX-1" if everything is fine for Soundmondo. If there's any number BEFORE the driver name (Like "1-MONTAGE" or "2-MODX" ) then this is absolutely the issue and Soundmondo won't work. To fix this, you have to uninstall the "Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver" and then reinstall the driver. It's so easy to foul up because any time you plug in your Montage or MODX into a different USB port - you'll start to see these "1-XXX" or "2-XXXX" drivers.

I don't believe Montage/MODX Connect is necessary to get Soundmondo to work. I don't see why it would be. But it doesn't hurt to have this installed. The issue with connect, in general, is that you have to keep up with version that matches your installed firmware. If you have the latest firmware installed - then that's easy - use the latest version of connect. I still don't think this is necessarily a requirement - but maybe someone else can jump in if it really is required for Soundmondo.

The next hurdle is having your keyboard plugged in with a good cable. The USB cable is sometimes "bad" and a source of problems. Generally trying a different cable clears this hurdle if this is a problem. Using a certified and short USB cable (aka "printer cable" ) should be good enough.

The next hurdle is having the keyboard turned on and properly configured. By properly configured - there's a checklist. The MODX/Montage has to be configured in USB MIDI mode. And "Receive Bulk" must be ON under the [UTILITY] (button) "Settings" -> "Advanced" (menus). That's about the extent of the configuration necessary.

The next hurdle is having an account on Soundmondo. I believe in past you could receive and sync fine without logging into an account. But today, it seems like you need to login to your Soundmondo account ("authenticate" ) first before you can sync your keyboard. To me, this is also an additional hurdle that makes Soundmondo slightly more difficult to use. It's not unreasonable to force the user to login first - but the website doesn't complain if you're not logged in (and I believe it should force logging in before showing the sync button - or change that button to a different icon showing you're not logged in and that's what part of the problem is).

Finally, I'm not sure what's been done after you do download/transfer a Soundmondo shared Performance to your instrument. In the past, Soundmondo redirected you to a page that was primed for you to create a new Soundmondo share. Which was confusing to users and Yamaha agreed. I'm not sure if this is still how Soundmondo works. It's not really a hurdle -- because if you made it this far then you've already past the point where you're trying to get to. But just one of those confusing things to deal with when using Soundmondo if it's still how the system works. I haven't dug around Soundmondo recently enough to know.

In general, Yamaha software, hardware, and websites do not guide the user well to have a great experience under all circumstances. The menus/GUI/etc. are minimally "good enough" to work under the best of circumstances. When things do not go as planned - the error messages are either non-existent or vague and not helpful enough for the standard non-technical musician to take action on. There are usually many expectations of exactly what set of steps to follow with reasonable steps a standard user may take that foul up the system. Plugging in Montage or MODX into different USB ports is one example of this. Although I believe I've seen this same problem even without moving the USB port. There are other examples outside of Soundmondo - so this is more of a general design philosophy than just a singular "issue" with Soundmondo.

Rather than bashing Yamaha - I see this more as attempting to inspire focus/greatness to cover the gaps. Unfortunately, all of these items (that are bugs or usability issues) have been discussed previously and are known. That said - most, although not all, of this list is NOT a bug OR a usability issue. It's just the current state of WebMIDI in general.

Posted : 07/10/2019 2:34 am
 joab

Jason you are a star! I completely removed the drivers and my UR22 and then reinstalled everything after a powerdown. I also factory reset the modx. Now it works okay. I really appreciate your extensive explanation too and the time you spent writing it - thank you.

I really dont know why their software is so bad though. And their lack of PC connectivity is just crazy. Fine if you buy into apple but nothing for PC and android.

Anyways thanks again for your help.

Posted : 07/10/2019 3:26 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Before your post showed up here (just previous to your "initial" post) I had a much shorter response in this thread suggesting that driver re-install fixes Windows if you see a number before your driver name.

Then there are probably at least 5 other threads where this is covered previously over the years.

I prefer encouragement over bashing because the hardware and legacy of engineering/innovation is, in my opinion, too great to be anchored by software.

Posted : 07/10/2019 5:25 am
 joab

I prefer encouragement over bashing because the hardware and legacy of engineering/innovation is, in my opinion, too great to be anchored by software.

You have a good way of looking at things:D . I will take a leaf out of your book! -TY

Posted : 07/10/2019 10:47 am

I get the exact same behavior as Greg. I don't see a solution posted anywhere, any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted : 21/11/2019 7:40 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us