Notifications
Clear all

Am I confused about MIDI?

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi.

I use my MOTIF XS8 connected to Cubase Pro 8.5 with fire wire connection and using YSFW audio. All fine in standalone mode for recording/producing on Cubase Pro 8.5 Audio / MIDI tracks etc.

My question relates to using my MOTIF XS8 to control an external MIDI synth module (The little known and quite old Solton MS40). I understand that I can control my external module by connecting the MOTIF XS8 'MIDI OUT' to the 'MIDI IN' on the external module with the correct settings. This will produce sounds from my external module which I can hear through the audio output of the external module. My reasoning for hooking up to my very old external MIDI module is that it contains a number of "Styles" (In MOTIF terms 'Performances:) I like to use from time to time.

My confusion starts here - In using the MOTIF XS8 & YSFW audio I am effectively using my MOTIF XS8 as both a keyboard and my 'sound card' to drive my recordings/productions structured on Cubase. I don't have a separate MIDI supported 'sound card' on my PC.

What I would like to do is- (1) Play my MOTIF XS8 (Local Off) to drive my external MIDI synth (Solton MS40) - (2) then route the MIDI information related to the :Style/Performance: generated by the external sound module back to my MOTIF XS8 to - (3) generate the audio sounds from my MOTIF XS8 and (4) record MIDI tracks in Cubase. Simple logic says I should connect MOTIF XS8 MIDI OUT to External Module MIDI IN and then External Module MIDI OUT back to MOTIF XS8 MIDI IN but this doesn't work for me.

I am getting to the point that I believe maybe my understanding of MIDI is not what it needs to be.

Any suggestions on how I can achieve my intended goal? Also - to stretch the imagination - Any suggestions on how I might be able to "transfer" the "Styles" on my external module into my MOTIF XS8 as a range of "patterns" or a "performance"?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Posted : 13/04/2016 10:07 pm
Bad Mister

Simple logic says I should connect MOTIF XS8 MIDI OUT to External Module MIDI IN and then External Module MIDI OUT back to MOTIF XS8 MIDI IN but this doesn't work for me.

That is correct, but you stop short of the step that will make it work. Let's follow your thinking so far. You mentioned that you would turn Local Control = Off on the Motif XS - reason: so that the XS keys do not trigger the XS tone engine. Instead MIDI info will be routed OUT via FW from the XS to Cubase. Then in Cubase you must create a MIDI Track that has the "Yamaha Motif XS8-1" (Port 1) as the MIDI IN, and set "Yamaha Motif XS-3" (Port 3) as the MIDI OUT.

"Yamaha Motif XS-3" (Port 3) = the 5-pin MIDI jack on the XS's back panel. Port 1 would return the MIDI events to the XS, Port 3 will trigger the device connected to the XS as an external device. The XS is not only your sound card for audio, it is for MIDI as well.

Go to DEVICES > DEVICE SETUP > MIDI > MIDI PORT SETUP > in the final column, the one marked "In All MIDI Inputs" you can see the ports of your connected device, if you mark both Port 1 and Port 3, this would allow you to play either set of keys (or both) as an input source when the MIDI track's MIDI IN is set to "ALL MIDI INPUTS" - you are literally defining what qualifies as an input source to your MIDI Track. Make sure that Port 2 is NOT marked as a source. (It is used for REMOTE CONTROL)

Anytime you want to trigger the external synth, you must select (highlight) a MIDI Track that has the XS Port 1 as the source, but more importantly has Port 3 as the MIDI OUT. Set the MIDI CH to the channel you require to trigger the connected device.

Connect the audio outputs of the external synth to the AD INPUTs on the back panel of your XS. This will allow the XS to act as your audio sound card and it will route the audio of the external synth to Cubase. It will have its own AUDIO IN channel and parameters, you can even assign it XS Effects.

Posted : 14/04/2016 12:06 pm
Topic starter

Thank you, Bad Mister, for you detailed reply.

Regrettably my "DEVICE SETUP (MIDI)" within Cubase doesn't mirror the descriptions you have outlined as "Yamaha Motif XS8-1" (Port 1) and "Yamaha Motif XS-3" (Port 3).

I have attached a screen print of my MIDI Port Setup which details the ONLY available XS inputs and outputs as:

MOTIF XS8 MIDI IN
MOTIF XS8 Main
MOTIF XS8 Remote

MOTIF XS8 MIDI OUT
MOTIF XS8 Main
MOTIF XS8 Remote

I have tried and tried to "interpret" your previous guidance and utilised what I have available in my Cubase Device Setup but I am still struggling to get an operational MIDI connection between my XS8 and my external module.

Do I need to add something to my Cubase Device Setup? Also what settings should I have within my XS8 MIDI Setup [UTILITY],[CONTROL],[MIDI]? Currently I have detailed Channel 1 as the 'Basic Receive Ch' & the 'Keyboard Transmit Ch.

Thank you BM for you ongoing patience and support - Very much appreciated.

Attached files

Posted : 14/06/2016 12:11 pm
Bad Mister

Okay, I see. You are using FireWire... Your ports will be named, not numbered:

_ Motif XS Main - this is the Port on which the Motif XS will send and receive data intended for itself.
_ Motif XS Remote - this is the Port on which the Motif XS communicates with your DAW (Cubase) allowing the front panel of the XS to remote control Cubase. The [DAW REMOTE] must lit and flashing - this retasks the XS's front panel as a control surface for Cubase.
_ Motif XS Midi - this is the Port that communicates with the 5-pin jacks (IN/OUT) on the back panel of your XS, and allows one external MIDI device to connect to the computer through the Motif XS.

The port you want to select in the "In 'All MIDI Input'" is Motif XS Main - this will be the port on which MIDI Tacks will be able to receive your key-on messages, and it will also be the port on which tempo is communicated.

Sorry for the confusion.

Posted : 14/06/2016 1:01 pm
Topic starter

Hi BM.

Thank you for clarifying - Fully understood. However I still have problems recording into Cubase..................

I am now able quite easily to 'trigger' my external module IF I nominate the [Interface selection - MIDI In/Out] within the XS as 'MIDI'. This correctly controls all aspects of the external multi timbrel unit as it should. Naturally, having disconnected the mLAN facility, this doesn't show any MIDI communication on the selected MIDI track in Cubase.

However if I select mLAN as the [Interface selection - MIDI In/Out] on the XS I can see MIDI communication between the XS and Cubase but I lose control on my external module completely. I am able to record the AUDIO output from the XS as a block (all external unit voices sounding) but what I wanted to do was to record these into Cubase as MIDI so that I could then split them into individual sounds.

I'd be obliged for any further suggestions.

Many thanks & regards.

Posted : 14/06/2016 4:55 pm
Bad Mister

Set the Motif XS MIDI In/Out = mLAN
[UTILITY] > [F5] CONTROL > [SF2] MIDI > set MIDI IN/OUT = mLAN

Connect the MIDI OUT of your external module to the MIDI IN jack on the XS back panel
Connect the MIDI OUT of your Motif XS to the MIDI IN jack of the external module.
Set both keyboards so that LOCAL CONTROL = OFF. This way your Cubase MIDI Track will determine which tone engine is going to sound.

Anytime you you create a MIDI Track in Cubase - set the MIDI IN line of that track to "ALL MIDI INPUTS"
On the DEVICES > DEVICE SETUP > MIDI > MIDI PORT SETUP screen, mark both the "Motif XS Main" and the "Motif XS MIDI IN" in the column "In 'All MIDI Input'"

This will allow you to play either keyboard as an input source to that MIDI track.

Set the MIDI OUT of the Cubase MIDI Track to reflect which tone engine you want to play. If you select "Motif XS Main" as the MIDI OUT for the track, the Motif XS will sound.
If you select "Motif XS MIDI" as the MIDI OUT for the track, the external module will sound.

In order for you to hear either of these keyboards you must be actively in touch with a Cubase MIDI Track with the proper MIDI IN and MIDI OUT assignments. Just under the MIDI OUT assignment is a number that represents on which MIDI channel this Cubase track is sending the data back OUT on. If you set the MIDI OUT = "Motif XS Main" and the Channel Number is set to "5", then the Motif XS sound on MIDI receive channel 5 will respond. Make sense?

That's it. You have to believe in these settings for them to work. 🙂 If you miss one, it may not work. If you are unsure please post back here.

Posted : 14/06/2016 7:06 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us