Notifications
Clear all

PLG 150 boards compatibility with MU2000

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Dear Bad Mister,

I have find your answer on the motifator.com forum regarding MU128 and PLG150 boards and it is clear. But, in brochure for MU2000 it is stated that PLG150 boards could be programmed and voices could be edited (as I could see from pictures from brochure since I don't know Japanese). Also, on the first page of the mentioned brochure one of the features is "Modular Synthesis Plugin System". So, its the same system as in ES.
I'm just want to be sure that I could use PLG150 boards (VL, AN, DX) in MU2000 in the same way that I'm now using them in Motif ES.
The reason of my question is decision to sold ES (I already have MOXF and Rack XS), but to keep PLG vintage tone generators. I found one good MU2000EX unit on eBay and I'm in the middle of negotiations with the seller. I now that Rack ES could be more suitable, but it have only two PLG slots and it is much expensive (at least twice) comparing to MU2000.
If you could help me to clarify my thoughts or to point me to someone from Yamaha that could help, I would appreciate.
Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Alex
nbadesign@yahoo.com

Posted : 27/03/2016 10:13 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry, I cannot give you a definitive answer because you don't really tell us exactly how you are using the PLG150s in your Motif ES...

The MU2000 was not available here in the USA, so I do not have any experience with it. And while it can certainly use the PLG150-series boards, whether or not it stores custom Plug-in Voices (those that integrate the PLG150 synth sound as an Element within the Motif ES host products architecture) I seriously doubt that this is available in the MU-series (but as I said, I have no direct experience with it).

The MU-series, in general, as the host product did not have its own USER RAM for USER Voices so it is unlikely to be "the same" as in the Motif ES or Rack ES. (The storeable memory is why the Rack ES was more money, in spite of the just 16 PART multi versus the 64 PART in the MU-series)

I believe the MU2000 was in domestic Japanese market only. And had a built-in sampler and sequencer.

But I could be wrong about its ability to store User Voices made with the PLG150-series. Sorry, I cannot be more helpful. You might want to research it further before spending the money. (and just how are you using the PLG150s in the ES?)

I did find the specs:

MU2000 Specifications:
Sound generator: AWM2
Maximum polyphony: 128
Multitimbral capacity: 64
Voices: 1396 normal + 58 drum kits, 100 preset performances + 100 internal performances
Effects: 8 total: reverb x18, chorus x20, Variation x97, 4 insertionx97, 5-band EQ.
Sampling (MU2000 only): Wave memory: 4MB, Number of voices: 256 normal + 4 drum kits.
Supported file format: WAV/AIFF/DLS/MU SAMPLING file
MIDI File playback function (MU2000 only): SMF Format 0, MU SEQ Player file (SMF format)
Display: Custom LCD (backlit)
Jacks: Output (L/R RCA), digital out (optical), input (L/R RCA), AD input (standard phono x2), Headphone (stereo mini), XG plug-in system expansion slot (x3), TO HOST, USB connector, SmartMedia (tm) slot (MU2000 only), DC IN, MIDI IN A x2 (rear/front switching), IN B-OUT-THRU.
Size/Weight 220Wx91Hx235D mm, 1.9 kg
Accessories included: CD-ROM, AC Adapter PA-6

Posted : 28/03/2016 2:28 am
Topic starter

Hi BM,

Thanks for your answer! As always, it is with lot of important details!
I'm currently using three PLG150 boards in ES6: VL, DX and AN.
For all three boards I have set to auto load plugin bulk files during power up of ES,
in order to load voices prepared for plugin boards (both user PLG voices and custom board voices).
For VL I'm using voices from your file VL_tutor, for DX it is DX Nosebleed and for AN is Dave's
Regenerator voice library. I know that MU2000 is only intended for Japanese market, but it looks nice
and have some interesting capabilities, esp. carrying PLG boards.
Please take a look of a short 4 page brochure for MU1000-2000 that I have attached. Although text is on
Japanese, on the first page Modular Synthesis Plug-in System is mentioned as a feature. This is new
compare to previous MU128 version and also includes PLG150 professional grade boards.
On the last page there is a photo about editing and control PLG boards through the same editors that
I have used for editing custom board voices on PLGs installed in my ES.
What do you think? Thanks again for your time!

Regards,
Alex

Posted : 28/03/2016 7:59 am
Topic starter

Hi BM,

Thanks for your answer! As always, it is with lot of important details!
I'm currently using three PLG150 boards in ES6: VL, DX and AN.
For all three boards I have set to auto load plugin bulk files during power up of ES,
in order to load voices prepared for plugin boards (both user PLG voices and custom board voices).
For VL I'm using voices from your file VL_tutor, for DX it is DX Nosebleed and for AN is Dave's
Regenerator voice library. I know that MU2000 is only intended for Japanese market, but it looks nice
and have some interesting capabilities, esp. carrying PLG boards.
Please take a look of a short 4 page product catalog for MU1000/2000: http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=ja&site=jp.yamaha.com&asset_id=22016
Although text is on Japanese, on the first page Modular Synthesis Plug-in System is mentioned as a feature.
This is new compare to previous MU128 version and also includes PLG150 professional grade boards.
On the last page there is a photo about editing and control PLG boards through the same editors that
I have used for editing custom board voices on PLGs installed in my ES (AN Expert Editor, DX Simulator, VL Visual Editor).
What do you think? Thanks again for your time!

Regards,
Alex

Posted : 28/03/2016 8:19 am
Bad Mister

I will attempt to find someone with experience with an MU2000 - because while obviously you can use the Editors, but I'm pretty sure the architectures of the host are different and that while the PLG150 data can be loaded to the RAM banks of the PLG150, what you will lose is any programming done at the Motif ES Voice level.

Specifically, the PLG150-DX has a RAM bank 035/000
The PLG150-AN has a RAM bank 036/002
The PLG150-VL has a RAM bank 033/002

You should have no issues loading the data to these Board banks.
What I am guessing is that you will not get any of the Motif ES Banks that begin with MSB 063/xxx - I hope I am being clear. I say this because the MU-series is all about XG/GM compatibility, and does not support individual USER RAM for Voice storage that integrates the "host" products effects and controller assignments. Each XG/GM composition has a Setup Measure that includes System messages, and Control Change messages that are used to "reprogram" the sound per composition.

The 063/xxx banks of the Motif ES are Motif ES parameters being applied to the PLG150 engine in question. The MU doesn't have the same engine (or storage capability) of the Motif ES. And it certainly does not have any 063/xxx banks.

I hope that is clear. You may decide that this is fine, or may decide that this is a deal breaker.

It will not, in my best guess, not be exactly the same experience as having, say the, Motif-Rack ES but the basic tones will load and be playable.

Again: this is my best guess... Based on what I know about MUs and Motifs... I will try to find more information. Or you can try contacting your Yamaha Customer Support people in your area, or contacting Yamaha Japan.

Posted : 28/03/2016 12:21 pm
Topic starter

Hi BM,

Thanks again for your time. I understand ES memory architecture regarding PLG boards. Also, I'm wondering the same you have told about
RAM memory locations that ES use for storing effect parameters applied to the PLG voices.
Why I'm still expect to hear that is possible also on MU in some way is the fact that I found the latest version of MU2000EX. It is so called Extended Version, that have updated firmware and some additional voices and whole new range of effects like in Motif. Yes, I read it from Yamaha Japan site after translation. Since Motif classic was released in 2001., I understand that effects incorporated in Motif were also implemented in MU2000EX through mentioned update.
If you could find someone who could give more information, I will appreciate. In my area I didn't find someone with such a knowledge.
I will wait for you and after if we could not get the info, maybe you could point me how to contact support in Japan.
Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
Alex

Posted : 28/03/2016 3:42 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us