Notifications
Clear all

Audio Out - Constant Static / White Noise

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hey All -

I have a YC88 and recently noticed while attempting to record through Logic that when connecting to my interface (PreSonus Quantum 2626) through the 1/4" outs, there is a constant static/white noise from the YC88. I've been able to narrow down the possible culprits, and this is NOT related to the interface. I connected multiple other instruments to those inputs and they performed normally. Additionally, I ran the YC88 directly to the monitors and the static persisted.

Oddly enough, the headphone out and XLR outs on the YC88 perform normally - no noise. So this issue seems isolated to the 1/4" outs. To be clear, this is not a ground loop issue - I have everything running through a Furman power conditioner. This is static/white noise.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks.

Posted : 13/02/2022 6:35 pm
david
Reputable Member

I assume that your 1/4" cables are 2-way, 2 pin and not 3-way or 3 pin. Those YC 1/4" jacks are likely not for tip, ring and shank (TRS) balanced cables.

However I'd always use XLR if I had the choice. XLR is a more professional way or means of connection.

You can freely plug in and unplug at will on the XLR otherwise the wires get crossed/shorted and make a horrible noise using the TRS or TS.

It's funny but Yamaha is notorious for never including XLR I/Os except on their most expensive equipment like the 6K CP1.

It's a pure miracle the YC 73/88 have them but the YC61 does not.

Almost all other manufactures even on much cheaper line boards include XLRs.

This and a touch screen was once never going to be allowed until the competition changed the minds of Yamaha executives.

They had to do or die and they did. I mean one more wire connection for each channel. What does that really cost, $10 more?

Posted : 13/02/2022 10:32 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us