Clear all

Compare Option Possible?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
david
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Sometimes I'll tweak a live set selection and I wish I could compare to the original before I save it. Is that function on the YC or can it be added?

Posted : 03/06/2020 10:47 pm
Bad Mister

The YC and CP focus on the real-time interaction with the front panel as a primary thing. The Edit/Compare function is handled a little differently than in, for example, the synthesizers.

As I understand it, you can execute an Edit/Compare A/B type function, as follows:

When you begin to Edit a Live Set program, nothing has been permanently changed. The original Live Set settings remain unchanged, underneath. Your new Edits sit in an edit buffer on top of the original (the new edits are not yet stored any where).

If you press the LIVE SET button representing the current location, the original Live Set sound immediately returns as if you never edited it.
Simultaneously, your most resent changes are transferred to the EDIT RECALL buffer.

This means you can return to exactly where you left of editing by going to the MENU Job > EDIT RECALL

In this fashion, while editing you can return to hear the original program occupying the current slot, and you can still recall your most recent changes by executing Menu Job: EDIT RECALL. You are basically retrieving your most recently edited data. You can remind yourself what you are possibly going to overwrite.

Of course, you can direct your data to an empty slot or any other Live Set slot. Just because you began editing a specific Live Set program does not mean you have to Store it to that same location — you can direct the STORE to any location. But there are times when you are tweaking a specific program and before you overwrite it, you want to compare it to your ‘new improvements’.

Let us know.

Posted : 07/06/2020 1:41 pm
david
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks BM. I did learn about that edit recall which does come in handy. I'm wondering if I have a USB drive connected if that store option can be made to store onto that drive directly or set automatically in an OS update. I can have a personal edits storage location. I scrolled thru the pages under "Save" and it does not eventually access the USB drive as a location. That might be a nice feature to add.

Posted : 07/06/2020 1:56 pm
Bad Mister

I'm wondering if I have a USB drive connected if that store option can be made to store onto that drive directly or set automatically in an OS update. I can have a personal edits storage location. I scrolled thru the pages under "Save" and it does not eventually access the USB drive as a location. That might be a nice feature to add.

Indeed, in the past there were products with the ability to store banks to external cartridges or SmartMedia cards. Things have moved away form that type of thing - I’m not really certain why.

But what you can do — and this could simply be because of this method’s ability to better organize and recall the programs quickly — when you have an iOS (iPad/iPhone) device connected to the TO HOST port you can instantly capture your edit to the Soundmondo App. It is so quick and easy to both capture and restore ideas, once you start working with it, it becomes essential gear. You’ll see what I mean — you can organize and reorganize your sounds into “sets”, you can rank them, you can assign unique pictures to them, they save and load with a touch... and compared to searching a USB stick, it’s even more compelling. While not as universal as USB storage — eventually Android will join the party.

You get an idea for a quick tweak, want to capture it so you work on some more later?... tap, tap and you’ve captured it.
You don’t have to overwrite any thing nor are you limited to how many you can make, quickly.

Posted : 08/06/2020 4:10 pm
 Jim
Eminent Member

Starting to use Soundmondo more...BM you're right...it is fast...although I'm still trying to figure it all out. I just uploaded two sounds to the "public" section that I worked on over the weekend...organ-based Live Sets for Whipping Post and Footstompin' Music. Hope we can get a robust community of uploaders...especially for cover tunes!

Posted : 08/06/2020 9:06 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us