Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

controlling a virtual B3 from the YC61

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I am attempting to control a B3 soft synth. I can assign all the drawbars and the stop Leslie button to my b3 plug in. It seems the percussion on/off button does not transmit midi, as well as the vibrato/chorus on/off. I would love to be able to, for example, use the percussion on/off button to turn percussion on or off on my B3 vst. Do these buttons not transmit midi??

Posted : 28/06/2020 2:12 am
david
Reputable Member

They might be able to add this in an OS update. Let's see what they say...

Posted : 28/06/2020 2:45 am
 Jim
Eminent Member

I already added a campaign to IdeaScale under my name there..."Counterpoint"...related to this: "Controlling VST's...MIDI Mapping Software". Please vote for it if you agree this is an issue where the YC could use some improvement. I have set up my YC61 to control my Arturia B3 V2 VST. I wasn't easy. The Percussion and Vibrato buttons on the YC do transmit MIDI...but as Sys Ex commands. It's really just raw MIDI data that's not attached to a CC number. To translate it into something usable you need to integrate additional hardware or software into your set-up. In my case, I have been working to integrate the software Cantabile into my set-up...if you're not familiar with it, it's a VST host...and so much more. The other "big one" out there, for PC at least, is Gig Performer...and of course there's Mainstage for OS.

Anyway, within Cantabile, at least, is the capability to translate Sys Ex messages into CC commands. From there you have to learn to assign values in your VST...both CC numbers and the command values that will get you the desired results. Like for the Vibrato/Chorus options...basically you need to divide 127 into 6 ranges of values and assign the appropriate value so that when you scroll through the options on the YC it matches to the correct choice in your VST. There will be clues in your Sys Ex info to tell you which is which. There's more but I will let you digest and ask questions about this if you'd like.

Posted : 28/06/2020 3:32 pm
Topic starter

whoa that sounds pretty draining...so can MainStage translate the Sys Ex commands? I'll dive into this at some point and check back with you, thanks! To me, it's worth the trouble, because seeing a button that actually says "percussion on/off' is so much cooler to control a vst organ with, as opposed to assigning to a nameless random button on a controller. Now if only there was a high point trigger via midi on the YC61...
What is the link for "idea scale"?
Thanks Jim!

Posted : 28/06/2020 8:57 pm
 Jim
Eminent Member

You're welcome Michael... Here's the link for IdeaScale: https://www.yamahasynth.com/synths/ideascale

Re Mainstage, I'm a PC guy so I've never worked with it. If you get stuck, I would post on the Keyboard Corner or I'm sure there's a Mainstage discussion site as well that could help. I would be surprised if it didn't have a way to do this.

There's more that needs to be done after you get past this...I still have trouble sometimes and have a mental checklist of five or six things to go through to figure out why it's not working right...but when it works..it is great...so cool to have seamless control over a B3 VST. Keep us posted here.

I hope everyone who is trying to use the YC with VST's will chime in with tips. I'll be very happy to find easier and better ways to use the YC as a master keyboard. Frankly, with Cantabile, I've pretty much bypassed the zone features of the YC and let Cantabile take care of it. Jason, a poster here warned me early on that the YC throws out a lot of MIDI info and indeed it does. It can make it difficult to control other keyboard with fixed MIDI assignments...like my Electro 4...not that I really plan to use them together. One of the first things I did was set up a "Null" live set on the YC with all the sections turned off and section volumes turned down. I use this to createnew live sets that might involve any VST's or outboard equipment. MIDI data is only sent from a section when it is turned on so you can start from a clean base that way. Going on too much so I'll leave it there but there's lots to learn and share on this topic.

Posted : 29/06/2020 12:05 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us