Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How do you shift octaves when using YC61 as a master keyboard

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi, I'm trying to use the YC61 as a controller for my plugins in Logic. My problem is the Octave buttons on the front panel only apply to the internal sound generator, not to the midi messages it's sending out.

I've still found two ways to change octaves in that case :
- The Octave setting in MENU > GENERAL > KEYBOARD/PEDAL
- The Octave Shift setting in SETTINGS > MASTER KEYBOARD > ZONE SETTINGS
None of them is very practical as I'd rather do it on the fly, with a press of a button.

I could also set MIDI Control to Invert in MENU > GENERAL > MIDI SETTINGS, and then assign two of the Octaves buttons to the "change octave" command in Logic, but I don't like that because the lights on the YC61 won't necessarily reflect the current status in Logic, so I'd rather deal with it on the board.
Did I miss something ?

Cheers

Clément

Posted : 13/10/2020 7:08 pm
 Jim
Eminent Member

Clement...pretty sure the octave change buttons in the organ and keys sections send out sys ex data. I do not use Logic, but I know using Cantabile you can "translate" these sys ex messages into MIDI commands and, set at the appropriate values, have them function as you are wishing. I did this to use the Chorus/Vibrato and Percussion buttons on the YC to control the corresponding controls on the Arturia B3-V. Will try to look later what type of messages the octave changing buttons send out.

Posted : 13/10/2020 10:28 pm
 Jim
Eminent Member

Checked and indeed the octave changing buttons on the YC send out sys ex messages that vary by whether the octave setting is at any of its five postions. The work will need to be within Logic and your plug-ins to translate that to useful MIDI data for your purposes. Again, I can do it in Cantabile.

Posted : 14/10/2020 8:47 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us