Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How to sustain only "one" of the 3 (Key A, B and O) potential voice layers.

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi - Posted earlier this week on this subject, got a few answers, but then the post ended.... Not sure I was clear on my need for info. Said simply, I want to use 2 different physical Sustain pedals, in addition to the Primary Sustain for all voices, but I need one pedal controlling(Sustain) KeyA voice, and the other pedal controlling(Sustain) KeyB voice. I've researched and see that FootController ports 1 and 2 can be dedicated to KeyA or KeyB, (Volume, Tone, etc) but not for Sustain. My thought "was" to use FootController ports 1 ans 2 for this purpose, but I may be miss-understanding the functionality of those 2 ports.

I am now aware of the ability to "ignore" the Primary Sustain pedal, but that does not fit my need.

Thank for any help !!

ms

Posted : 02/06/2023 1:45 pm
Bad Mister

Foot Controllers are different from Foot Switches. They are not meant to be interchangeable.

There are two Foot Controller jacks, 1 and 2. These will use a Yamaha FC7 sweep type pedal. Typical uses are Volume, Expression, Wah-Wah…
There are two Foot Switch jacks, Sustain and Assignable. These will use a Yamaha momentary type pedal FC3A, FC4A, or FC5. The Sustain jack is dedicated to that function alone. The Assignable Foot Switch can programmed to various functions.

Please see your YC Owner’s Manual… In the Table of Contents find the listing for “REAR PANEL”. This provides you will a diagram and information about which pedals can be used in which jacks. (The FC3A can be used for the Half-Dampering (sustain) feature when the Sustain Pedal function is set to “FC3A”)

Posted : 02/06/2023 6:20 pm
Reputable Member

I understand your need,  Michael.

Things like this question of yours made me jump into the DAW arena some ten months ago, myself finding many pretty unachievable goals aiming at me across the hardware being used at the time, a Roland Fantom 8, Montage being considered too deep for me as I was looking for my first synth.

And after much testing and solid patient, I was on a mission my mind asked for, my progress yet being slowed down as it confronted on a daily basis the arresting barriers planted by the limited evaluation software gracefully provided by some makers, I finally reached the planned orbit thanks to REAPER, who invited me to take my time and do my own testing without any limitations whatsoever and decide when ready. REAPER is the DAW currently fulfilling all my needs. I love it. Visit the forums, lovely people thereabouts.

When I see all those tracks, by the dozens, singing as I effortlessly move my fingers, I still go thinking I am not awake, but in one of my dearest dreams...

Then I got a new computer, terabytes of beautiful virtual
instruments and I am enjoying them immensely.

Once you discover a track can have all the bells and whistles you can possibly imagine and do it even on a per key basis, there is no way back to a system based only on hardware, even though it turned out to be state of the art and from the very best maker.

The reasoning for that statement is very simple: every single time you need a feature it is fully accomplished by adding a script, as they are called by the experts, an effect so to speak, and that additional feature turns out to be three clicks away: add effect, choose effect, accept.

No more digging in endless menus: one, two, three clicks away, same place, unlimited tracks...

Want a single note in that seven fingered chord to be sustained, chorderized, arpeggiated, transposed, repeated, sounded along twelve measures while changing loudness, panned...?
Click, click, click.

And even more: AI is ready to build the effect you might need, should a human being not have done it already.

????
????

Posted : 02/06/2023 7:35 pm
david
Reputable Member

I was the opposite. The last thing I would ever want is a musical instrument being a computer. Something psychological l guess. Kronos inserted a computer inside a keyboard shell and It still behaved like a computer. Hard drive, fan and all. I'm sure computers are far more powerful and unlimited and endless in comparison but some of us still want the physical feel with all the way overpriced and under powered capabilities of a keyboard. Plus we gain exclusive rights to complain about it. It's an illness I guess. Something about software and computer interfaces kills the joy of an instrument. Obviously producers needs serious options like computers but the regular Joe just wants to be frustrated by hardware. It's totally psychological, I can't explain it. I'm glad manufacturers haven't stopped making keyboards that keep us so frustrated else all we'd have is the computer and software like for everything else we do. Maybe that's the reason, it's something as distant as possible away from regular life filled with computers. Maybe that with a keyboard you are so limited and so frustrated that you end up playing it. On a computer you have million of options and so you never end up playing, you just flip through options for days. We want to be confined and make something out of nothing, that's what makes us so special. Less is more so take that! I still complain about not enough options but then I do not want millions either. Both are bad leading to non-production of music. We need a perfect balance of harmony no pun intended. I'll probably never turn to the computer, I'm on it all day already. I need to get away to my safe space of keyboards like right now.

Posted : 03/06/2023 2:33 am
Reputable Member

I am still using my beloved keyboard as the basic imput for the DAW, and cannot imagine myself placing notes on a staff by clicking a mouse; so it turns out to be a mixture of the very best available platforms setting grounds where my music cannot be stopped anymore as hardware shortcomings are easily circumnavigated by the DAW.

????
????

Posted : 03/06/2023 7:32 am
david
Reputable Member

I had a similar issue or the concerning the F4 thru F6 FM organ section call them actually synth voices because they have adjustable operator and carrier functions. IF I want to use those voices not as a sustained primary voice which still behaves like an organ but only as an accent or layer I really want those voices to cutoff and not sustain even though I might still be holding a chord. I wanted Yamaha to see about adding a cutoff function to their voice. Currently only the percussive part will cutoff but I'd like the whole voice to cutoff or fade out of the chord. You know how many of the DX voices play like a piano with a strike, ring and then turn off or retrigger normally.

Posted : 03/06/2023 11:48 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us