Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Volume level on headphones is really low?

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

On my New YC61 the headphone volume is really low even when turned up to 9-10?
Can this be a defect on mine or is this piano set so low for a reason? Can it be fixed with a update?

Posted : 11/05/2020 10:40 pm
Bad Mister

In general, you want to look for low impedance headphones — that will be a major determining factor to how loud they sound. “How loud” is going to be subjective as everyone hears differently.
If you have a set of headphones you like and they are not loud enough for you, you might want to invest in a small format mixer.

The lower the impedance (resistance measured in Ohms) the more volume you will perceive. Headphones are personal... consider comfort as well as sound. Great sounding headphones that are loud enough but uncomfortable are no prize either. If you like the phones but they are not loud enough, I’d recommend getting a mixer or headphone amp to boost the signal.

I have a pair of phones 49 Ohms and a second set that are 37 Ohms... both are plenty loud enough plugged directly to the instrument. But again hearing varies from individual to individual.

(High impedance headphone May not sound loud enough... do you have the specs on your headphones?)

Posted : 12/05/2020 1:21 am
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister, Thanks for getting back to me do fast. I don't know the specs right off,but I can look them up? I will get back to you asap.

Posted : 12/05/2020 2:29 am
Topic starter

Bad Mister,They are 24-Ohms. I guess I'll use my other pair of headphones and see if they are louder?

Thanks again!

Posted : 12/05/2020 3:20 am
Bad Mister

They are 24-Ohms.

That’s plenty low. I recommend a small format mixer or headphone amplifier.

Posted : 12/05/2020 2:09 pm
Topic starter

Ok! Will Yamaha be doing a YC73 and 88 key?

Posted : 12/05/2020 7:37 pm
Bad Mister

I don’t know and even if I did, I couldn’t say.
I can tell you that currently there is no such announcement.

Posted : 12/05/2020 8:12 pm
Topic starter

Bad Mister, I know! I just wanted to get every YC61 fans pants in a bunch!

Thanks!

Posted : 12/05/2020 8:18 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

... loudness is discussed here - but impedance also affects the frequency response. Some sources better fit higher impedance because the higher "R" is needed as part of an RC filter to attenuate high frequency noise that would be present otherwise from the ringback caused by too fast of a slew rate (high speed transmission line stuff).

Posted : 12/05/2020 8:50 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us