Clear all

CK88 buttons can't send MIDI-signals?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Sven
Topic starter

Hello everyone,

I tried connecting the CK88 to Mainstage 3 in order to control my software-sounds. Basically I want to be able to use the CK88 as MIDI-controller. The drawbars, knobs and obviously the keybed and the modwheel/pitchwheel work just as expected. And that's great!

However none of the BUTTONS seem to be sending any usable MIDI-signals. Is there something I am doing wrong?

It would be a shame if despite having so many buttons none of them could be used to control anything. For example using the buttons 1-8 (for choosing Live-Sets), to trigger stuff in Mainstage or any DAW would be amazing.

Best regards
Sven

Posted : 28/06/2023 3:20 pm
Prominent Member

It would be a shame if despite having so many buttons none of them could be used to control anything.

If you tell us what you are actually wanting to do we might be able to help you find a way to do it.

However none of the BUTTONS seem to be sending any usable MIDI-signals.

The Live Set buttons are used to load a performance on the instrument. As far as I know they do NOT send MIDI messages.

However, if you set up zones on the CK (see pages 32+ in the manual) those zones can send MIDI messages for a part. The 'Description' for those parameters will indicate that.

For example volume says 'Determines the volume sent as a MIDI message to the external tone generator'.

Notice that each zone can also send program change messages (MSB, LSB, PC) and the external device can use those messages to load the corresponding part.

Posted : 28/06/2023 4:59 pm
 Sven
Topic starter

Thank you for your answer.
My purpose is to have buttons, that can be "on" or "off", in order to assign a function of Mainstage to that button, for example turning on/off a sound in Mainstage via simply pressing a single button on the CK88. Or toggling on/off a filter in Mainstage by pressing a single button on the CK88.
I don't see how Zones in Master Mode can replace this function, without occupying actual keys of the keybed. I would like to have seperate buttons, so that I can still play all 88 keys.

Posted : 28/06/2023 7:29 pm
Prominent Member

I don't see how Zones in Master Mode can replace this function, without occupying actual keys of the keybed.

You are correct. There is no MIDI 'macro' capability where you can define your own MIDI strings to send.

Posted : 28/06/2023 7:49 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Page 60 of the user manual ( https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/2/1547682/ck88_en_om_b0.pdf ) shows the only buttons sending CC are the ROTARY [STOP] and ROTARY [SPEED] buttons. The rest that send CCs are all knobs or sliders.

Posted : 28/06/2023 8:16 pm
 Sven
Topic starter

Thank you Jason and Andrew! I just became a little smarter thanks to you 😀

Posted : 30/06/2023 6:18 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us