Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Issue with noisy and clanky keys

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi, after few weeks playing the Yamaha CP73 there is already a issue with clanky and noisy keys !

See also Youtube: https://youtu.be/97Gryn-5z28

Using Yamaha keyboards for many years, I'm very disappointed about this product. πŸ™

Maybe somebody has some simular experience?

Posted : 31/03/2020 7:15 am
Bad Mister

Contact your dealer, immediately. They can make a determination about if it is normal or particularly unusual. Remember they want you to be happy, Yamaha wants you to be happy. Call them immediately so that they are aware of your situation. Even if you cannot get to the store immediately, let them know, now.

Extra Credit:
The amount and the timbre of the noise (at least from what I hear in that video) is influenced by the lack of the unit sitting solidly on a surface. Take the keyboard and place it so all the rubber feet are in contact with a fixed surface. The tone and timbre of your noise will likely change dramatically. There is always noise when playing a piano... try it on your acoustic piano. Most of it is muted by the very solid β€˜stand’ that is involved in acoustic pianos, and is always drowned out by the actual sound of the instrument.

In your video there is no β€˜sound of the instrument’. Try the same experiment with sound... that is the best way to determine if the noise is excessive or with a normal amount.

It is a percussive instrument, they all make some sound when you hammer them. What you want to determine is if your amount of noise is excessive or unusual.

Remove the stand from the equation (most players never realize this does influence significantly the sound you hear... the more solid the stand the less noise you are aware of. This does not fix any noise caused by a dislodged felt, or a key return hitting the case, or items that find their way down into the keybed, etc.
Do you keep your instrument covered when you are not playing?

But again β€” this is all conjecture based on a video. I would not conclude one way or another, if the amount of noise heard in that video is within the norm or not. It is enough that it is bothering you... If it cannot be heard over the sound of the instrument in normal play, it becomes more of a non-issue. But if it is interfering with your enjoyment of the instrument β€” you should have it look at by your dealer.

I’ve played acoustic piano action when the action was not hitting strings (the equivalent of your video) and it makes more noise than that. Highly recommended that you take it to your retail outlet... they have experience with instruments and will be able to tell you if this is unusual or not. Your local store sells hundreds of Yamaha keyboards with that action and will have a good perspective on where your particular instrument stands.

The difference between the CP73 and CP88 is more than just the number of keys. The 88 has an entirely different keyboard action. Just FYI.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 31/03/2020 12:19 pm
Topic starter

Thank you very much Mr. Bad Mister for the quick and detailed answer.

Basically, I have always been very satisfied with YAMAHA Products in the past few years, especially with the support I got in the "Motifator" forum.

I would like to mention that I grew up with musical instruments and also treat my musical instruments as family members and of course they are very carefully cared and covered. I am also aware that the keys on keyboards or pianos always cause noises, but in the current case they are so loud that I can even hear them with headphones.

I would also like to note that these annoying noises were originally not audible. The difference to the unused keys, specially in the lower and higher range, is in the meantime particularly graphic. It is remarkable that these keys cause a lot of noises, which are played regularly (see enclosed picture).

My dealer, who is the largest in Europe (Thomman.de), said that this is a warranty case and that I should get the keyboard into business. I hope that Yamaha can fix the problem as soon as possible, but there is still a bitter aftertaste.

I am aware that the CP88 has a completely different keyboard action than the CP73. However, what irritated me was that Mr. Blake Angelos said in a YouTube Video that the keyboard CP73 has the same as the flagship "Montage". However, Yamaha denied this when asked!

Attached files

Posted : 01/04/2020 4:24 am

I have had my CP73 since October and have noticed a few of my keys have this same issue. I'm also noticing that the keyboard is sluggish causing some pitches to be softer or drop out during fast passages. This happens often and seemingly randomly. Although I love the sound and interface of this instrument ultimately I'm looking for a replacement and will sell this one. Big disappointment!

Posted : 10/04/2020 5:43 pm
Topic starter

Yes the interface and sound is very good on CP73, I liked it also very much !

Just for your Information, see following statement from an other forum:

"That noise would drive me nuts! And it should not be happening!

As you probably know there has been a lot of discussion about similar issues with the Yamaha MODX and several other Yamaha keyboards that use the same type of keybed?

According to Yamaha, the CP73 features "newly-designed", 73-key balanced action keybed. And that could be the issue. Because they have obviously designed it to be lightweight and when you do that and at the same time try to provide a balanced action there will be compromises made.

I wonder if this is a modified version of the keybed fitted to the MODX?"

Posted : 14/04/2020 4:57 pm

My CP73 has the same issues with a B. I read "bad mister" response and I'm wondering if it's a joke !! It's absolutely not a stand issue !! are you Kidding !!??
The video perfectly shows that there is a huge difference between "broken" keys from others. And I can tell that I perfectly feel it with fingers when I play the "broken" key.
Something inside the keybed has changed on this note.. I would like to know if it's possible to fix it. I would like to know what is the chance to have a decent keybed after playing this CP73 several years ? Because, this issue starts 2 months after I buy it !! I don't want to hear stupid responses "do you cover your keyboard when you don't play it !!!!!!! THIS IS A STAGE KEYBOARD for professionnals musicians. It will be played inside, outside, in dusty places, many hours !! Could I hope that this keyboard will work more than 2 months ?
I played a motif 8 classic 15 years ago. I had many many problems with broken keys. It was not the same issue. I never had any response from Yamaha. Seems that things hasn't changed.
I'm very sad because I love my CP 73. The keybed feels good. But is it reliable ? I'm mad when I hear responses that shows that the customers will not be respected.
Yamaha : have a look inside the keybed and tell us what happen.. that's what I want.

Posted : 24/04/2020 1:34 pm
Topic starter

Just to keep you up to date:

After a month I received the info from my music store that the device could not be repaired !
Since there was no replacement device for an exchange, the full purchase price was refunded to me.

Now the search for a new stage piano starts again, but I can already say that it will probably not be a Yamaha CP 73.

Posted : 06/05/2020 11:24 am

Hi,

I noticed the same as well. I just bought this keyboard off a band mate who used it for a year or so and the middle section especially the black keys, there is an audible thud when you press it. It's not audible on a live setting but when you're at home it is quite audible and very distracting. I also noticed that the black keys have quite a lot of wiggle left to right. Not sure if that's the cause. I'm quite disappointed with the quality as the instrument plays great and has very nice sounds.

Posted : 18/05/2020 2:57 am

My CP73 has the same issues with a B. I read "bad mister" response and I'm wondering if it's a joke !! It's absolutely not a stand issue !! are you Kidding !!??
The video perfectly shows that there is a huge difference between "broken" keys from others. And I can tell that I perfectly feel it with fingers when I play the "broken" key.
Something inside the keybed has changed on this note.. I would like to know if it's possible to fix it. I would like to know what is the chance to have a decent keybed after playing this CP73 several years ? Because, this issue starts 2 months after I buy it !! I don't want to hear stupid responses "do you cover your keyboard when you don't play it !!!!!!! THIS IS A STAGE KEYBOARD for professionnals musicians. It will be played inside, outside, in dusty places, many hours !! Could I hope that this keyboard will work more than 2 months ?
I played a motif 8 classic 15 years ago. I had many many problems with broken keys. It was not the same issue. I never had any response from Yamaha. Seems that things hasn't changed.
I'm very sad because I love my CP 73. The keybed feels good. But is it reliable ? I'm mad when I hear responses that shows that the customers will not be respected.
Yamaha : have a look inside the keybed and tell us what happen.. that's what I want.

Similar issue here. From keyboards/guitars/brass instruments/mixers/speakers/etc, I can't imagine how much money I've invested in Yamaha products over the last 30 years. Easily well into 5 figures. I've had my CP73 for less than 3 months, have taken the best possible care of it (dust cover/tsa gator case/etc). A week ago I noticed a loose key (G#4) along with a loud clanking noise. Took mine to the local dealer immediately as I anticipate gig opportunities to resume very soon. Although my experience with Yamaha (Phone) Technical Support (unrelated to this one) has been AWFUL, the local dealer has been GREAT. I expected a long turnaround, but after less than a week, he notified me today that it will be ready for pickup in a couple of days. As far as the "technical diagnosis", here was his email response:

"The keybed assembly is similar to some other models that have replacement key sets….the keys on this unit are not individuals, they are on planks. I have a replacement set of flats that are for this unit. I will get those replaced and check the unit out. Yes, the G# key was broken, it attaches to the keyframe in two places, one of the key arms had broken."

Although I'm thrilled to be getting my keyboard back, I must say, learning that this is a common occurrence already in recently purchased CP73s is troubling, to say the least. I definitely don't want to be stuck making payments on a $2000 board that i can't use, no matter how careful I am in handling it. I guess all I can do is hope/pray that any/all future problems that arise occur within the warranty period. But that doesn't seem likely.

-Ryan P

Posted : 18/05/2020 6:39 pm
 mjc

For those in doubt,

The Yamaha CP73 features a Balanced Hammer 'Standard' key action. This is mechanically the same entry-level weighted action you will find in the entry-range of Yamaha digital pianos like the P45, p121, with the only difference that in the case of the CP73 the weights aren't graded, but all the same (and on the lighter side).Otherwise it's exactly the same action.
These clanky key issues very much occur with those keyboards as well.

Perhaps reducing the overall weight of the keyboard was a consideration for Yamaha to use the 'standard' action, but I am still puzzled why for such a relatively expensive stage piano, Yamaha has not opted to use the higher end 'Balanced Hammer (without 'standard')' for the CP73. That is the action used in the Montage 8, motif 8, S70, etc.

Like many users, the overall weight of the keyboard (when carrying around) wasn't the main consideration to buy the CP73 over the CP88, it was size. I don t want and need a big 88 keyboard.

Personally I would have accepted a few more pounds of overall weight with a higher quality version of a balanced action, rather than the entry-level quality of a the balanced hammer 'standard' action. Please note that it's Yamaha themselves who have in the past referred to the 'standard' actions as 'entry level', it's been their own marketing.

I hope at some point we get a CP73 'revision 2' where Yamaha has wised up and decides to use the 'Balanced Hammer' (non-standard) action as used in the montage, or a balanced version of something even better, preferably with a tripple sensor. Better something that makes the overall keyboard weigh a bit more (to carry around) but feels and plays better and is more durable.

Posted : 13/07/2020 12:59 pm
Trusted Member

I have the same problem with my MODX8. I'm on my third one because keys broke under warranty. The new one they sent has 3 clunky keys right out of the box.
No more quality control with Yamaha.

All black keys. When you lift off of the bad keys they bounce and make a clacking sound.
I don't know the mechanics of the keybed but it sounds like there should be some sort of damping pad that was either not installed or fell off.

I've never been so in love with a keyboard's sound and operating system and at the same time so hugely disappointed with the terrible quality of the keyboard itself.
Somebody told me that's what you get when you buy a budget keyboard. Look, I know there are lots of expensive keyboards, but I don't consider $2000 to be "budget."

The next time the keys break there will be no warranty. So I will have to use my old Fatar controller and MIDI into the MODX. Joy. Another 88-key board to put in my car.

Posted : 24/09/2021 9:01 pm
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us