Notifications
Clear all

Metronome location (Overlooking/Exist?)

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 jim
Topic starter

Maybe I might just be overlooking the location of it in the menu, but there is no mention anywhere in the manual regarding a metronome either. Other older models in the CP line had one; why the omission on this one? No forum nor Google searches make a mention either leading me to believe one doesn't exist.

I definitely think something such as this is almost standard with any digital piano in today's market (especially a new higher-end model).

I remember one was added to a model(s) in their Reface line for their looper, so I know it could be added in a firmware update.

I know I'm just one person and definitely wouldn't get added cause of my request, but would anyone else find use/convinence of a built in one useful? More requests the merrier. πŸ˜‰

Or again, am I just overlooking it?

Thanks.

Posted : 15/04/2021 7:03 am
luuc
 luuc
Eminent Member

This would indeed be a welcome feature!

Posted : 15/04/2021 4:21 pm
 jim
Topic starter

Glad to know at least I wasn't overlooking it; hope it can get added in a future update.

Posted : 15/04/2021 8:57 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Source: https://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_cp88.htm

Further Information
================
Number Of Keys 88
Hammer Action Keys Yes
Number of simultaneous Voices 128
Number Of Sounds 80
Effects Yes
Speaker No
Headphone Outputs 1
Sequencer No
Metronome No
Master keyboard function Yes
Pitch Bend Yes
Modulation Wheel Yes
Split Zones 3
Layer Function Yes
MIDI interface In, Out

Posted : 15/04/2021 9:09 pm
 jim
Topic starter

Source: https://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_cp88.htm

Further Information
================
Number Of Keys 88
Hammer Action Keys Yes
Number of simultaneous
Metronome No
Master keyboard

Thanks; guess I just have to search a little harder next time.:p

Obviously wasn't a deal breaker for me since I wasn't aware purchasing it. Again, it'd still be a welcomed addition especially considering it seems like a common feature which is omitted from this awesome instrument.

Posted : 16/04/2021 4:30 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

If reasonable or not is a judgement call - but it is a common customer expectation that follow-on products retain the same capabilities of the last gen. When the floppy drive got replaced with memory cards or USB sticks - this wasn't a loss of a feature - just a change in implementation (I guess one could argue backwards compatibility with older media). There's a predictable customer satisfaction issue when a feature is completely taken away. I think getting rid of the metronome falls into this category. It's not exactly the most "sexy" feature and usually doesn't get much attention/demo/mention.

I also looked at other retailers other than Thomann and they didn't have a nice summary that included mention of the missing metronome - so it's easy to be overlook during the purchase experience.

Posted : 16/04/2021 10:41 pm
Bad Mister

Just some background for some context.

The CP4 STAGE/CP40 STAGE (2013) β€” The Click was provided as a timing reference for audio recording to USB stick. Although you could monitor it, it was not output to your audio recording (naturally). Streamlined interfaced and made lighter in weight than its predecessors. The CP4 Stage designed for the player who performs on-stage.

Before the CP4 STAGE was the CP5 and CP50 (2010) Stage Pianos β€” it was a combination of features introducing the price-friendly versions of Spectral Component Modeling. The CP5 featured an AD Mic Input with its own dedicated channel for the singer/player), it also featured drum kits, and a Click for recording to USB stick.

The top-of-the-line, flagship, full SCM concept was/still is available in the CP1 Stage Piano (2009). (Wow, just wow!) no on board recording, no metronome.

Other CPs include the CP300 (first introduced in 2006) β€” because of its popularity, this instrument continues through to today - different from the other β€œStage” pianos, this CP features built-in speakers (it definitely has a Click). It is, bar none, the most popular slab piano for schools, universities, labs, churches, theaters, dance studios, rehearsal halls, tv studios, etc., the built-in speakers being the *right thing* in so many situations. (This product developed from *overlapping* features appeals to the hobbyist, the home studio player and the performing or rehearsing pro β€” professional features, including PB/MW wheels, master keyboard control functions, and an additional 16-Part XG/GM tone engine for XG/GM file playback capability.

Products are usually developed to serve a specific target customer β€” allowing a variety of models to coexist β€” the more features covered the larger audience... But they can’t all have everything.

In general, the CP-series started as the electronic pianos you could/would take on-stage. Simple enough concept. It did not mean light weight, necessarily, but it did mean you could take it to the stage. The CP80 and CP70 were β€œroad crew” stage pianos β€” meaning you needed a road crew. The original concept was β€œfor the stage”. (No click, by the way).

There were lots of CP models (electronic stage pianos) over the years CP10, CP11, CP20, CP30, CP25, CP35, CP33. The product will change - evolve, in response to how the market demand vary..

In general, if you can record (on board), you get a Click. (Necessity)
If you have built-in speakers, you get a Click. (Convenient and workable)
Usually, when on-stage, a guy named Ringo or Joe has the drum beat and tempo covered (so a click becomes a β€œnice-to-do” on a strictly *stage* product). Hard to put every feature on every model.

I’m sure it could be added in firmware (how easy that is, I’m not qualified to answer), but it seems like its function would be limited to just a practice metronome. Since there is no Record feature built-in, and since the new CPs have no speakers; you don’t have a separate output to assign it. The Click would have to be mixed with the main audio output... you’d really want to have a separate Assignable Output for just the Click.

What you can do with current hardware and firmware:
_There are tons of metronome apps, sequencing apps, etc., that can be used on a smart phone or tablet...access via USB β€˜To Host’.
_Use an analog metronome.
_Connect to your computer and use a DAW for a metronome.
_Connect a device that can give you tempo to the CP’s Audio Inputs (you will be able to monitor it, but it will not be recorded via the USB Output when recoding to a DAW)

Posted : 17/04/2021 1:14 am
 jim
Topic starter

Thanks guys for the lengthy and elaborate responses. I understand and it does make sense while some "features" are removed, others do get added. It may go missed but after a while it becomes the norm (just like the recent removal of the headphone jack on the cell phones).

Thanks!

Posted : 28/04/2021 2:35 am
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us