Notifications
Clear all

USB Audio DAW connectivity

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello, complete noob here.

I’ve got a CP73, and I’m trying to connect it to Garageband via the USB to host connection to record audio. I’ve successfully recorded MIDI before, but now I would like to record audio from the CP.

I connected everything correctly (ie, installed driver, selected correct device, etc.), and was able to record in Garageband. However, the recording level was WAY too low. As in, the line was almost completely flat. So, I guess my question is, how can I increase the gain somehow so my incoming signal is stronger? I am obviously not using an external audio interface, just the built-in one in the CP.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you.

Posted : 11/11/2020 7:42 pm
Bad Mister

As you have undoubtedly discovered the front panel Master Volume has no impact on the Record Level going out the USB “To Host” connection to the computer.

The Master Volume is the output that feeds the analog Left/Right Outputs. It is the combination of the three Sections Volumes and the USB Audio (Return) which is audio coming back from your computer to the CP acting as audio interface.

The Volume of each section does affect what goes Out to the USB... and therefore, it does affect the Record Level

USB AUDIO
If you go to MENU > General > USB Audio > this does not affect Record Level, rather it is the audio from the computer on its way to the Left/Right audio Outputs and your speaker system.

Things that affect your computer (USB) Record Level
_ The Volume of each of the Parts
_ The Velocity with which you play the keys
_ The Effect processing and EQ that you apply to the Part

Posted : 12/11/2020 2:24 am
Topic starter

Thank you so much for the response!

I found that if I set the touch to soft and raise the master EQ then I get the signal I’m looking for.
Again, thank you for helping me out! Much appreciated.

Posted : 12/11/2020 3:48 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us