Clear all

Best monitor speaker stereo for Live

22 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
21.9 K Views
 Marc

Hi Bad Mister
Thanks again and I can see there's quite a bit to digest but you know what it is very informative and I will need a day or so to work with this. Don't hesitate to go at length with your explanation everyone can benefit from your expertise.

If there's not a section in this website assigned to sound / adjusting sound with or without mixers / live settings etc etc....and because it is dear and near to you ....just maybe there should be.

I just have to keep on learning that stuff because ultimately to sound good I have to rely on myself mostly especially when I do small gigs. I've relied on others before and was never 100% happy, if there's such a thing. A bit of knowledge goes a long way.

I can hear the stereo sound when I use both MSRs and what a difference when using only speaker, I couldn't figure out how come there were some sound missing. I also have a XS8 and also have your instructional video that I believe say that to have the full effect of the motif to make use of two speakers.....so in the end it's worth the extra trip to the car.

I will get the manual for the MG124CX and start reading.

I believe that once the gain is adjusted and the MSRs also adjusted.....the individual faders on the mixer are there to set the volume of the cp4 (in case) to the main mix or other instruments or mics etc. and the master fader control the main mix volume. As you can see it's sound 101 for me.

Marc

Posted : 22/02/2015 11:37 pm
Bad Mister

Many of the Insert Effects are also stereo... While the organ sounds are sampled as mono, they are routed through a Rotary Speaker Effect that is Stereo. If you play it back in mono, you will not hear the rotating speaker effect properly.

The channels mentioned on the MG124CX mixer are designed for stereo inputs - which pans the left signal hard left and the right signal hard right. Stereo has been around a long time. And no one owns a mono music playback device. If you are making music your life or even if you do it just for fun... Do it right!

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Posted : 22/02/2015 11:37 pm
 Marc

Bad Mister

I'm still processing everything you've been advising. So thanks again. Please feel free to go at length with this

Just want to make sure I understand this...when you say that the channels 5/6 to 11/12 on the MG124CX mixer are designed for stereo inputs - which pans the left signal hard left and the right signal hard right ......you mean that the mixer is taking care of that on its own

Can you shed light on this as well....still to do with live sound. CP4, 2 MSR 400, MG124CX.....I have a MSR800 that I might want to bring along.

The sub owner's manual suggests
-from the mixer stereo out XLR to the MSR800 input
-from the MSR800 output (high pass) to the MSR400
The level control seems easy enough to understand from 0 to 10 (as required)
I'm not so sure if I understand the cutoff frequency control and how to adjust it properly....I've looked at the owner's manual for the MSR400 and frequency range specs are 50hz to 20khz

Let's not forget that I'm in the learning process.....it probably makes sense to use a the above configuration in a band setting but what about if it was CP4 on its own.....would it enhance or would it be detrimental to the sound. If it would enhance the sound.....can CP4 be connected directly in the MSR800 then to MSR400. Or is my thinking way out to left field.

Marc

Posted : 23/02/2015 2:32 pm
 Marc

Hi Tony

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

I'm realizing that every time I add or remove or change something...for example, an instrument, mixer, mic, amp, etc etc, a new set parameters have to be taken in consideration in the setup.

Marc

Posted : 23/02/2015 2:52 pm
Bad Mister

Just want to make sure I understand this...when you say that the channels 5/6 to 11/12 on the MG124CX mixer are designed for stereo inputs - which pans the left signal hard left and the right signal hard right ......you mean that the mixer is taking care of that on its own

That is correct. When you plug your CP4 Stage into a stereo channel like 5/6, the odd numbered jack is automatically panned hard left and the even numbered jack is panned hard right. Simply leave the Pan/Balance knob at 12 o'clock.

Let's not forget that I'm in the learning process.....it probably makes sense to use a the above configuration in a band setting but what about if it was CP4 on its own.....would it enhance or would it be detrimental to the sound. If it would enhance the sound.....can CP4 be connected directly in the MSR800 then to MSR400. Or is my thinking way out to left field.

I agree, it would make more sense as a configuration for an entire band. Whether or not a sub woofer would enhance the sound of a solo piano is a subjective choice, you must make. Sub woofers need room to do what they do. The Wavelength (sorry for the science here) of low notes is extremely long. The effectiveness of a sub woofer increases as you move farther away. Typically, you start feeling the sub woofers effectiveness at distances over 50 feet. So think about where your audience is - are they 50 feet away?

If they are closer, by the time they feel the sub woofer you will be killing the people in the next room or next door.

If you elect to use the sub woofer make sure you "walk the room" listening to what it does to the sound. Unless you are going for the 1980's Club 54 rump rattling low end for your solo piano, you probably can leave the sub woofer home. Because to balance your (music) program you will be using so very little of it that it would hardly be worth it.

From a musical perspective (and here you can tell I used to teach audio engineering)... I expected all my musicians to understand and be able to tell the civilians* (*civilians was my term for the non- musicians in the class) what frequency to adjust... When you say the MSR400 are rated 50Hz - 20kHz, what area of your piano would be close to 50Hz?

Musicians sometimes don't connect-the-dots with frequency and their musical instrument. Learn to do this - it helps when you need to EQ, ...it just helps, in general.

You probably know where A440 is on your piano (it's the "A" above middle C)
You probably know that to go up or down an octave you double or halve the frequency
So counting down from A440, you have an A220, an A110, an A55 and finally an A27.5
The LOWEST G on a piano is approx 49Hz (just flat of that)

So your MSR400 can straight up handle all but lowest octave of the piano (without a Sub). And when they rate they rate the frequency range they are doing so saying that it begins to be audible at the frequencies shown... So the sub would, indeed be overkill for a solo piano... But again, this is subjective.

Posted : 23/02/2015 4:57 pm
 Marc

Bad Mister, Again many thanks for the great lesson so far!

I'm happy with the sound of my CP4 after you made me aware of those specific adjustments

Marc

Posted : 24/02/2015 2:36 pm
Bad Mister

When Yamaha introduced the D-series to our own staff, the comparison between the now "old" technology in the MSR-series and the new tech in the D-series, we used a special acoustically designed speaker evaluation room. The new technology is quite stunning and a significant improvement all around

I've personally used the MSR400 for in-store presentations and was able to get a sound that quite impressive... So I was very excited to hear the comparison when the powered D-series were introduced. New DSP (digital signal processing) chips in the system means that the signal is analyzed and that the speaker optimizes the output... You can read all about the FIR-X crossover, and D-contouring, etc., etc., but the fact that you can stand in front of them with an open mic at levels a conventional speaker would be howling with feedback is an impressive testament to the tech... These will not... And it's not due to some feedback suppression circuit. If you could see sound, you'd see the argument at the crossover point, where both the woofer and high frequency driver battle over who is reproducing that frequency. The DSP in this new tech, eliminates this argument completely. The handling at the crossover is so smooth, it's incredible... All you will notice is how loud it can get without issues you normally run into...

but at the end of the day the proof is in the pudding (as they say)... You have to taste them yourself. When you think you're ready, go give them a listen - they will not disappoint.

Not only are powered cabinets now MORE powerful for the dollar, but more efficient, lighter and clearer/cleaner. They sounded truly high fidelity... To refer to them as "loudspeakers" doesn't do the new tech justice. Sure they are truly loud speakers, but the processing delivers your sound beautifully from a musical standpoint. And at any playback level. Frankly, the MSR400, like a lot of speakers, sound great when you can turn them up; the new tech can have that clear, full, present, kick-ass sound at any volume (and that's new).

Sure some of this is subjective, but sound reinforcement has gone through quite a change since the MSR400s.
Yamaha makes three models of the D-series: DBR, DXR and DSR... to match three price points for working musicians - a good, better, best scenario.

And, of course, if money is no object: checkout NEXO!!!!

Posted : 24/02/2015 5:05 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us