Clear all

Rhodes! Dyno-my-piano?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Adam
Topic starter

Hi!

I'm in the process of acquiring a new keyboard (Yamaha) and have set my sights on either a used CP4 or a MODX8.

First off, I know how different these instruments are, so not perhaps a very logical comparison, but I like the two for different reasons. Instruments I already own are "Yamaha SY99" and "Korg Microkorg XL"

I don't have the opportunity to sit down at a CP4, and I know how good the pianos sound from various demos. What I'm wondering is how good the modeled dyno-my-piano rhodes is? How close is it really to a real dyno? And are there any good appropriate chorus effects for the sound?

Thanks!

Posted : 01/04/2020 8:05 pm
Bad Mister

First off, I know how different these instruments are, so not perhaps a very logical comparison, but I like the two for different reasons.

No caring sales associate would let you buy based on which one had the best ___ fill in the blank___ sound.
That’s subjective and for you to decide. Plus what else do you need it to do?

The CP4 STAGE took great pains in what it made available for the discerning keyboardist not afraid to menu dive and program. There is some cutting edge technology in the instrument designed specifically to recreate both acoustic and electric pianos. You are able to play with the components that make the sound. Specifically dealing with the electro-magnetic pickups, hammer strike position, and other things true fans of the tine e.p. would appreciate.

The MODX is a synth, it does many, many things. The CP is principally a piano/e.piano.

Not a logical comparison, buy the one that does what you need it to do.

How good is it? Totally a subjective thing. That is for you to decide. If your asking did the design team know about the history of the instrument? They studied it on a level that would certainly blow your mind. And the degree to how much you can change its character is uncanny.

Both feel better, far superior to the real dyno — those who played a Rhodes know it was never great action, it was Rhodes action so you dealt with it. But you wouldn’t want it for everything. I remember it but I also remember that it was the sound I loved, the action I tolerated. Your mileage and opinion can vary. (Most current modern Keybeds are superior to the funky action of the real thing, even the customized dyno-my action — which did improve the feel). When considering these two (CP4 Stage and the MODX8, the actions are very different — how they feel is subjective). The caring and smart sales associate always has you try on the shoes and asks you to walk around the showroom. Why? Because only YOU can know if they pinch YOUR feet. That’s why it’s not a logical comparison, but as you said, you already know this... hope that helps.

Posted : 03/04/2020 5:15 am
 Adam
Topic starter

Thank you Phil!

I guess the only smart thing to do would be to try and locate a CP4 to playtest, along with a MODX8.

I have done the mistake of "buying before trying" one time before, so I would do best to avoid that again.

Posted : 03/04/2020 4:52 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us