Notifications
Clear all

Sustain Pedal with CP4 doesn't work correctly when short releasing-pressing

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi,
I have a CP4 with FC3 pedal. When I play for example chords on the piano, and change chord, I release shortly the sustain pedal and press it again. I notice that the old chord are still sounding and didn't stop. This happens on all sounds, but with the String sounds with long release, you can hear it at best. I have to really release the sustain pedal 1-2 seconds before the old strings chord stops!
I tested with another sustain pedal, but get the same issue.

It seems the sustain pedal holds on to the release time. So if you have a string sound with long release time, sustain doesn't work as should be, it should stop the sound but because the sound fades out (release time) sustain takes this level of volume at time you press sustain pedal again and sound continues. I think it's a software error.

Does someone else also have this issue, and what can I do about it?

Posted : 28/09/2016 8:46 am
m
 m

Mercy wrote:Does someone else also have this issue, and what can I do about it?

I've never had this issue, and I use an FC3 pedal all the time.

Do you have UTILITY > CONTROLLER > SUSTAIN set to FC3?

Do you have the problem in all Performances or only one? If the problem goes away when you change Performances (not referring here to Voices, but Performances), then you've probably got some stray setting in the troublesome Performance.

If you have the problem in all Performances, you might try a factory reset (after saving your Performances if you've customized anything).

Posted : 28/09/2016 4:09 pm
Jeff
 Jeff

First, the symptom you report is a good thing rather than a bad thing, except for the amount of time you're talking about. Releasing the sustain pedal very briefly should cause the notes playing to get quieter, but not to die out completely. Dying out completely should happen within about a quarter second (or so it seems to me without a piano on hand, and I could be off.)

So, the problem you're hearing isn't a matter of "whether" but of "how much". That is, what you're saying SHOULD happen, but it shouldn't take nearly so long.

On a digital piano like CP4, pressing the sustain pedal has two effects. With some experimentation, perhaps we can figure out which of the two is taking too long.

First, it causes the notes currently being played to stay in "decay" envelope mode when the key is released, rather than going into "release" mode. Lifting the sustain pedal undoes this, causing the notes to go from "decay" mode to "release" mode. "Decay" mode is a slow decay, "release" mode is much faster, emulating the way a piano note would sound with the damper on it. A piano note doesn't die immediately, it takes a moment to decay.

One possible cause of your symptom would be if the patch you're using has the envelope settings modified to increase the release time (actually, reduce the release rate). To see if this is the case, compare releasing the key for a note with releasing the sustain pedal for that note. Listening to only that note, the two cases should sound the same. If releasing the key stops the note in the amount of time you expect but releasing the sustain pedal does not, then it's more likely the second issue.

The other thing the sustain pedal does is to engage open string resonance. This emulates the fact that on an acoustic piano, when you press the pedal, it raises ALL the dampers, so all the notes resonate to some extent with the ones playing. The ones that share the most harmonics with the notes playing resonate the loudest. On a real piano, if you open the top, press the pedal, play a note, and then use your finger to damp that note, you'll hear all the other strings "singing along" with that note, until you release the sustain pedal. While that resonance is loudest where it imitates that note, you also get a lot of other vibrations. See if that's what's continuing when you release the sustain pedal on your CP4.

If it's neither of the above, then something truly odd is happening, and I can't make sense of it.

In any case, first follow m's good advice and see if it pertains to a given performance or not.

Posted : 24/03/2017 5:00 pm

Hi Mercy, I'm having exactly the same issue... With different pedals, sounds, turning half damper off, and everything I've tried... Did you ever solver the problem?

Thx

Posted : 18/02/2018 6:00 pm

Hi Mercy, I'm having exactly the same issue... With different pedals, sounds, turning half damper off, and everything I've tried... Did you ever solved the problem?

Thx

Posted : 18/02/2018 6:02 pm
m
 m

Jessie, can you describe very precisely what's happening?

Posted : 18/02/2018 9:13 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us