Synth Forum

Breath Controller B...

Notifications
Clear all

Breath Controller BC3 not supported--Alternatives ???

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Paul
Topic starter

I have the BC3 breathcontroller on Motif classic with PLG 150 VL.
The sound is not based on samples, but created by parameters which can be programmed (air-pressure, modulation, pitch, growl...)

Breath control and PLG is not supported any longer on the latest Motifs XS-XF

I think the BC3 gives only input on Ctrl 7 or 11.
The rest of the modulation comes from the other controllers and programming (aside of the BC3)

Can I find another BreathCtrl which supports the PLG ?

Here are some examples of breath-controllers

o “Tecontrol” : usb facility for all midi instruments(100 Euro incl breath controller) 

o “Midi Solutions Breath Controller” module only to adapt the BC3 (170 Euro) 

o “MRT” delivers a complete set with some other facilities (250 Euro)

Anyone who has experience ?

Posted : 30/09/2014 10:03 pm
Bad Mister

I have the BC3 breathcontroller on Motif classic with PLG 150 VL.
The sound is not based on samples, but created by parameters which can be programmed (air-pressure, modulation, pitch, growl...)

Breath control and PLG is not supported any longer on the latest Motifs XS-XF

Technically speaking Breath Control is supported by both the Motif XS and XF, but we know what you mean, they do not have BC input jacks. But Breath Control is a standard MIDI control (cc002) and can be used as a controller to manipulate any of 100 destination parameters within the Motif XS/XF engine. The fact that it does not have a BC input jack is what you are concerned about.

I think the BC3 gives only input on Ctrl 7 or 11.
The rest of the modulation comes from the other controllers and programming (aside of the BC3)

We are not sure what you are attempting to state here. The BC3 was a dedicated device made by Yamaha and sent Control Change message 002, what you assigned to that Control Change was a matter of programming within the Voice. Parameters found in the VL engine (pressure, growl, embouchure, etc) made sense for wind instrument emulations. Samples do not have these parameters, so often BC is used to control Volume (cc007) or Expression (cc011); perhaps that is what you mean. But those are not the only parameters you can assign Breath Control to in the XS/XF - they can be assigned to any controllable parameter you desire... including filter cutoff, resonance, Effects, pan, etc., etc., etc.

Can I find another BreathCtrl which supports the PLG ?

Not sure who makes a Breath Controller now. It is not clear from your post whether you still have a Motif ES or are attempting to use BC with the XS or XF (not sure what you own... or what you want to do) Let us know.

Posted : 01/10/2014 12:14 am
 Paul
Topic starter

Here comes a more complete story :
Have a Motif Classic with PLG 150 VL (at rehearsel place) and BC3 breathcontroller

Bought a Motif XS as well (at home), which should become the master keyboard in all situations.
So I want to use the breath-controller function also on the XS

Problem :
XS has no breathctrl input neither a PLG-slot

Potential solutions :

• Extend the XS for breath-controller (still no PLG-slot) :

o “Tecontrol” : usb facility for all midi instruments (100 Euro incl breath controller)
http://www.tecontrol.se/products/usb-midi-breath-controller

o “Midi Solutions Breath Controller” module only to adapt the old BC3 (170 Euro)

o “MRT” delivers a complete set with some other facilities (250 Euro)
http://www.mrtaudio.com/breath-controller.html

• Extend the XS with a Motif ES-rack (approx 500 Euro second hand -- PLG can be installed, but no breathctrl input)

Conclusion :

Buy TECONTROL (valid for all midi).
Buy also an ES-rack for using the PLG-slot and more compatible voices

But will this breath controller work on the PLG 150 VL ?????

Thanks for your comments

Posted : 01/10/2014 10:26 am
 Paul
Topic starter

Hello,
Thanks for your clear explanation.
So it seems that using the Motif XS for playing with a breath controller on PLG150 VL will be rather sophisticated !
I 'll need to buy :
- “Midi Solutions Breath Controller”
- Midi merger from Midi Solutions
- ES rack to install the PLG

I understood that I loose then the USB facility on the Motif XS as I will have to use the Normal Midi in- and out.
That's a lot of things and rather expensive.
Can you help me to find the company which offers the stand-alone converter (USB to MIDI) ?

You made it also clear to me that the TEC BC will work with a computer and a DAW.
I have Cubase, so I can connect the TEC BC to my computer USB. Then I can keep the USB facility on Motif XS.
I have to buy ES-rack and connect it via USB as well.
Of course, the computer and the DAW are always in between.

I will think it over as it is a lot of trouble to play the PLG…

Thanks again for your info.

Posted : 11/10/2014 11:03 am
heratch

Hi.
I found this
http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

Please note the following:
I personally have never tried this product; therefore, I cannot guarantee its functionality. Please conduct your own research to determine if this will provide the solution you are seeking.

Posted : 01/11/2014 1:16 am
 Paul
Topic starter

Thank you Heratch,

Plausible solution, but all of it comes to a nest of cabling-modules-boxes which are also expensive all together.

A positive note : I bought the TEC-breath-controller and after the first tests it seems to have a very good response.
Of course, I can only use it on a DAW (it needs a computer USB) and not directly on the Motif.
But I can use it for live-performances with possible complications on stability.

At first sight the Tec-solution is very simple, rather cheap and stable.

Let me know if anyone is interested for further comments.

Posted : 05/11/2014 7:42 pm
Derek

I am also interested in using a breath-controller with a Motif XS rack. I am cutting the computer out of my rig for this next project, so I'm looking for a solution with the smallest footprint. I have a MPC slaving a bunch of modules and a MPK49 controller - and some lights that are also triggered with midi / all of which I could use some human/breath feel with. I could use a DX7 since it has an input - and chain it in / but they are heavy - and that is nowhere close to ideal.

The XS has USB - and the MPK does too --- and I'm currently not using it, just midi. Can they not work at the same time? couldn't the breath controller adapt to the MPK or something?

Are there any new thoughts to add to this?

Is the current conclusion to buy:

1. TEC USB MIDI Breath Controller
http://www.tecontrol.se/products/usb-midi-breath-controller

2. Kenton MIDI USB Host
http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

?

I'm also not sure if I would really use it live --- so options to just use it at home to record data, would be good too. Just looking for the most elegant way to get some breathy feel involved. This video has me pumped... ha : https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=25&v=ssgdLpOpDbE

I also think it would be a good way to get some nice blends with the lights.

Thanks.

- Derek

Posted : 17/05/2015 8:49 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us