Clear all

ES7 stereo operation broken

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 jeff
Topic starter

Greetings ,

I have here a MOTIF ES7 with no upgrades or expansions . If I plug into only the left side it is fine . If I plug into only the right side , it is fine .

if I plug into both sides I get sound on the right side only .

The problem exists in the headphones jacks as well . If I plug in the head phones half way and contact the left side I can hear it . With the headphones fully plugged in for normal operation it gives me sound on the right side only .

I've tried factory reset of the software and internally resetting hardware ribbon cables or other cables with a physical connector . To no avail.

I put it into test mode and ran test programs 13 and 14 .
Test 14 is OUTPUT - R . It fully passed this test .
Test 13 is OUTPUT - L . It passed only from the assignable output . No sound from left main even wile it is the only thing plugged in. No sound from the head phones even when only plugged half way to contact the left side only .

Any ideas what the problem could be ?

Posted : 13/01/2015 5:23 pm
Bad Mister

Hi, Jeff! Your Motif ES7 should be taken in for repair to an authorized service center.

Your testing routine does not make sense, plugging a lead into just the left side (L/MONO) you say is fine, plugging a single lead into just the right channel should not be fine (R), so we are not certain you know what to listen for. The left output alone (L/MONO) should deliver items whether panned left or right. However, plugging a lead into only the right channel (R) should give you only things panned right, panning an item left should make it almost disappear.

And you don't report anything useful concerning the headphone jack. We hope you know to plug the headphones completely into the Phones Jack - that's how it is tested, plugging headphones halfway tells you nothing useful. Plugging anything but headphones completely into the Phones Jack is improper and reveals nothing useful. If you are plugging a regular cable into the phones Jack, Please Stop doing that! And don't plug headphones into the "L/Mono" or "R" output. It's not really clear what you are describing here.

Either way, take your ES7 into an authorized service center for qualified repair. You should be able to find the service center nearest you either through the main Yamaha website or by calling your regional Yamaha office. Phone numbers are listed at the back of your Owner's Manual.

Let us know how it works out.

Posted : 14/01/2015 5:18 am
 jeff
Topic starter

the problem is , with normal stereo operation , there is no sound on the left side .

if I unplug the right side , it will give me sound on the left side .

when I plug the right side back in it gives me sound on the right side only .

in the time it takes to plug in a set of head phones into the head phones jack the plug passes both sets of internal connectors . as it passes the first set it gives me sound on the left side . once the plug is fully seated in its proper operational position it gives me sound only on the right side.

it was recommended to me to ask about this issue here by the district Yamaha sales manager , perhaps this is the wrong forum for repairing this ?

Posted : 15/01/2015 7:18 pm
Bad Mister

You can get direct support for your issue here

You can Call or Email them - they are awaiting your contact.

Posted : 15/01/2015 10:28 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us