5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
New Member Guest

Hi I have the following:
a. Yamaha motif xs6 with mlan16e2 installed
b. Mac OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite installed on a mac mini mid 2011
c. Logic Pro X

I have updated the motif firmware (1.60.1) and the mlan16e2 firmware (1.07)
I have installed the Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver v.1.7.4
I have installed the 1.61 extension.

I have followed the steps described on installation pdfs.

I am in FW mode on the motif and midi is through mLan

My problem is that there's no connection with the Motif's FW.

I go through system preferences and I see only the two tabs on the Yamaha FW driver setup.

Of course having that problem, I can't enjoy the privileges of mlan/fw (separate audio channels and faster midi).

What can I do?

Posted : 28/12/2015 2:16 am
Bad Mister

Double check everything - what you have listed should work... You have exactly what you need and your driver is working.

What we know: the YSFW Driver is installed and working - we know this because you can see its control panel. It is, in fact, reporting there is a problem. If you could not see the two panels you are seeing, then that would be an issue with the driver. The Driver is fine. The problem it is reporting is that it does not see your instrument connected (the third panel). Which is quite different from a problem with the driver. The driver control panel indicates the problem is elsewhere... not on the computer, not with the driver.

If you are sure your XS has the FW Driver preference stored (IEEE1394 Driver = FW) that causes it to look for the FW Driver, then we can look elsewhere. You mention it but since I have troubleshot this many, many times, I've learned that this is a common stumbling block) the AUTO LOAD function must read FW for the IEEE1394 setting, then must be STORED, and then you must reboot for this setting to be implemented. You need to do this once, so that this is saved in your instrument's Flash ROM. Once you do this it is saved in every ALL DATA file you make from that point forward. If you navigate to this setting and it says "mLAN" that's no good. It must say "FW" when you initially go there. In other words, it must be *stored* as your preference.

Careful when loading older files, that may not include your IEEE1394 Driver preference. Load older ALL DATA files using the "ALL without System" option so that it doesn't switch your Utility mode settings!!!

Do not Factory Reset as this will undo that setting. If you have done this, forgive my harping on it... It is the most common error. Moving on....

The thing to check is the connection between the mLAN16e2 and your computer. Check the FW cable and/or adapter you are using... Cables do go bad. The mLAN16e2 is a 6-pin (S400) and the Mac mini is either a 9-pin (S800) or has Thunderbolt (???) do you have a cable or are you using an adapter?

Use Apple adapters, or Belkin...

Either way, that's where the problem may lie... You don't mention how you are making this connection. And it is now clearly where you should focus your attention. How long a cable are you using?

By the way, since you are using Logic Pro the Motif XS Extension for Steinberg (Cubase) v1.6.1 does nothing for you (can't hurt anything, just simply is not in use in your setup).

Let us know.

Posted : 28/12/2015 3:50 am
New Member Guest

The cable is used already for my m-audio fw410 audio card. I just unplug it from the m-audio and hook it to the back of the motif, on the mlan16e2. It's a working cable already, that uses a simple adapter on the other side that I connect it to my mac mini on the fw800 port.
One other thing I've noticed and convinces me that it's not the cable's fault, is that the IEEE1394 firmware updater when I run it, sees my motif model and firmware version and also updates the firmware when I ask it to.
The only additional thing I can try, is use my Motif with my MacBook Pro that I also have and see what is happening there.

Posted : 28/12/2015 8:01 am
New Member Guest

Ok, I solved the problem!!!
First I repeated all installations on my Macbook Pro and connected it with the same IEEE cable through the FW800 connection. Everything ran smoothly.
Then I tried again on my Mac mini and everything ran smoothly again.
The thing I was careful to follow was, starting up completely my Motif, before even pressing the on button of my computers. Also I made sure the plugs were ok and the cable was unbended.

Posted : 28/12/2015 10:22 am
Bad Mister

Excellent! Enjoy!

Extra Credit: Remember always, the computer scans all connection points when it comes online. If you connect something to the already powered On computer it may not (necessarily) recognize the new device, particularly since your computer (like it had a mind of its own) might be searching the Internet for half a dozen updates for your browser, for your anti-virus software, for your Flash player or who knows what.

This driver (YSFW) has to negotiate control over incoming and outgoing audio from the computer's normal start up audio system. So it is always a good idea to power On your connected devices first, then power on the computer.

You can manually check what's going on with your Mac's audio in/out by going to "AUDIO/MIDI Setup"

Posted : 28/12/2015 11:41 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us