How do I set GM mod...

Notifications
Clear all

How do I set GM mode on MOTIF ES 7

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I have looked thru the manual and I still cant find how to setup GM mode to play midi files. Can anyone help.
Also How do I check the OS on my motif ES and what is the latest system?
Cheers
Ant

Posted : 29/12/2015 11:16 am
Bad Mister

Hi Anthony,

The Motif ES was discontinued almost 9 years ago, so my memory may be a bit faulty on some of the specific details, but the most recent firmware version was 1.08 (released 4/26/2006). This is available from the Official Yamaha download site: http://download.yamaha.com

The download is a zipped file that will include the updates file (0745OS_.pgm), and instructions for its use. It does require a SmartMedia card to perform the update. You can see your current firmware version as follows:

How to check the version of your MOTIF ES
Power on the unit while holding down the [REC] and [STORE] buttons simultaneously. The following message will appear:
" Current Version Kernel : 1.xx
Firm : 1.xx "
The unit's version is indicated by "Firm : 1.xx "

If you have firmware that is earlier that 1.08, you can proceed with the update as instructed.

Where my memory is fuzzy is just *when* (which model) allowed you to actually initialize the Song Mixing setup as a GM template. Either way, you can reset your Mixing to GM setup using the information I've provided below:

Press [SONG]
Select a blank location
In order to use the Motif ES multi-timbrally you must be in either Song or Pattern mode.
Press [MIXING]
This allows you to view the 16 Parts via the 16 Tracks.
Press [JOB]
Press [F1] INIT
This is where you can initialize the Mixing setup... If there is a "GM" option -this is where it would appear.

What the initialized GM setup does is place the GM Bank Piano in all sixteen Parts, except Part 10 which will be set tho the GM Drum Kit. All Part Volume parameters are set to 100, all Pan to Center, etc., etc.,

This condition is called a GM RESET. Where my memory is faulty, is just *when* in the Motif-series history we added that as an Initialize option. If you do not see "GM" as an option, no worries.... You can manually reset the ES to prepare it for GM use.

In this blank Song we can use the first measure to Reset the ES for GM use:
From SONG
Press [1] to select Track 1
Press [EDIT]
This will allow you view the Event List
Press [F5] INSERT
Set the TYPE = System Exclusive
Here you can enter the GM RESET command.

You are given the first character "F0"... The message you want to enter will read (in its entirety):

F0 7E 7F 09 01 F7

Press [ENTER] or [F6] SET to place this message as the very first event in your Song ... It should be placed at 001:1:000. (Measure 001, Beat 1, Clock tick 000). No other MIDI event should be placed for the next 250ms to allow the receiving tone engine to respond... Resetting all Parts to GM.

Every properly prepared General Midi file will include this message as the very first event on Track 1, thus alerting all receiving devices to initialize their setup to GM conventions. You can STORE this setup as one of your 32 Mix Templates... MIX TEMPLATES remain in memory between power cycles and can be recalled whenever you need them. This way you can always simply recall it when you are ready to use a GM File.

Below we have provided a link to an article that discusses, in detail, the GM RESET. At the bottom of the article is an example GM FILE that will illustrate how this all works... If you get stuck or have further questions, post back here.

Working with and Creating Proper GM Files

Hope that helps.

Posted : 29/12/2015 1:03 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us