Notifications
Clear all

How to use S90 to control Logic Pro 9

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello!
I am new to the forum and have started to explore my Yamaha s90 from 2002.
I am not master of MIDI nor Logic buy I know now some basics.

I want to control Logic pro 9 running on my mac book pro with mac os x 10.6.8 from the s90 and its control slides and start/stop sequencer button, track selection, mute etc.

I need Logic to play the tracks (some tracks have audio recorded files and others internal logic SW instruments) I select from the S90. Start/stop, volume etc.
This at the same time as I play the internal sound on the S90 in a live situation.

I have come so far as following the manual for s90 and using the USB as midi from S90 to the Mac, told the S90 to use USB as MIDI and selected the template called Logic. This allows me only to pan the track selected in Logic. So there is communication but I can not for example start /stop tracks from the S90. Nor can I select tracks in Logic etc.

On the MAc Pro I can see the S90 in the MIDI settings among other equipment as for example my MOTU track 16.
I have also located the YAMAHA USB MIDI driver v1..3.2 on my MAC. (Tried to download a older version but it said that I already had a newer so I stayed with that)
Also I have searched in Logic under Control surfaces -> Set Up ->Scan all models and found Yamaha 01X Logic Control. Nothing for Yamaha S90.

Does the S90 need to be updated with FW that would include newer templates towards Logic Pro 9 or do I need to add some SW to Logic and/or the Mac?

I do not know what more to do, now I look for advice on how to get this working.

Best Regards
Micke

Posted : 14/10/2017 8:18 pm
Bad Mister

Does the S90 need to be updated with FW that would include newer templates towards Logic Pro 9 or do I need to add some SW to Logic and/or the Mac?

No. that has nothing to do with what you are interested in doing.

As you know the S90 is from 2002, Logic Pro 9 is more than a decade later, so depending on how much has changed on Logic’s side of things, you will be able to tell us what still works. The template that you’ve selected was designed for Logic Audio Platinum Ver5. The good news is protocol for remote control functions change at a much slower rate than Apple changes connectors or the headphone jack πŸ™‚ so with any luck you may get some functions working...

You need to setup the correct MIDI Port in Logic to receive the messages sent when the [REMOTE CONTROL] function is active.
Yamaha typically used Port 3 or Port 4 for Remote Control commands back in 2002... so wherever in Logic you setup for Remote Control Surface communication, you want to setup USB MIDI Port 3 or 4...

There have been several major changes to how Audio and MIDI remote protocol is handled between then and now. Good luck.

We moved your post to the LEGACY forum because you don’t have an S90XS/S70XS, which have an entirely different DAW REMOTE function (updated to work with Logic Pro).

Hope that helps.

Posted : 15/10/2017 7:35 pm
Topic starter

Hello

Thanks for you reply and advice. I will try and let the forum know my findings. Would be nice to get old synth to work with a more than 10 year younger SW.;)

Posted : 16/10/2017 7:11 am
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us