Notifications
Clear all

Illegal Bulk Data error syncing with Motif XS Editor

20 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi to all,

I have a Motif XS7 (which I dearly love) and I'm trying my hand at using Cubase as a software sequencer. I'm starting out by importing songs I've programmed on the Motif, but I'm not getting very far. I'm having trouble syncing with the Motif XS Editor. Here are the details.

1. I have the Motif connected to my laptop running Windows 7 via USB. The driver is loaded properly, according to Windows.

2. I start the XS Editor, open an ALL (.X0V) file and select a Song to open. The AutoSync dialog appears.

3. I press "Start" and it appears to start synchronizing, but after a second or two it stops and the display on the Motif displays the error message "Illegal bulk data."

I've tried numerous different settings with the MIDI Sync but the error still occurs. What am I missing?

All help appreciated.

Joe

Posted : 01/03/2017 3:14 am
Bad Mister

.X0V files are technically speaking ALL VOICE files and contain no Song data and no Song MIXING setup data, only User Voices.

If your goal is as stated "importing songs" you will want to save your data as an ALL data file .X0A

Motif XS Song Import

Posted : 01/03/2017 7:41 am
Topic starter

Dear Bad Mister,

Oops - I made a typo. The file I am opening is indeed an ALL file (.X0A) file containing several songs. It doesn't matter which song I choose, I get the same error. Any idea what's happening, or do you need more detail? Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,

Joe

Posted : 03/03/2017 2:41 am
Bad Mister

So every step in the "IMPORT MOTIF XS SONG" is working except clicking START (the final step)?

Posted : 03/03/2017 4:14 am
Topic starter

Dear Bad Mister,

The following programs / drivers are installed (on Windows 7 32 bit.):

Cubase LE AI Elements 8
MOTIF XS Editor Standalone/VST v1.6.4
MOTIF XS Extension v1.6.1
USB-MIDI Driver v3.1.4.1

When I import a Motif XS song into Cubase, it loads and plays smoothly (all of the tracks are piano), so I'm satisfied that the USB driver is working properly.

Posted : 03/03/2017 4:22 am
Bad Mister

Please make sure you are using Cubase AI. You are given a choice when you launch, select AI (Advanced Integration).
You cannot conclude that USB is working just because you can open a file.

You know USB is working if you can bring the Editor "Online".
Please follow the article step-by-step.

Posted : 03/03/2017 4:42 am
Topic starter

Dear Bad Mister,

I'm afraid I've not been doing a good job explaining what's going on. I try and do better here.

I believe the problem is bringing the Editor online to sync with the Motif. I'm able to complete Step 1 successfully up to the following:

Start the Motif XS Editor VST make sure it is communicating (ONLINE) with the Motif XS.
If you are using the Motif XS Editor VST, you go to DEVICES > VST INSTRUMENTS > EXTERNAL > MOTIF XS VST. Bring the Editor ONLINE

When the Editor starts, the sync progress bar quickly gets to about 5%, the Motif displays the message "Illegal bulk data" and the Editor remains OFF LINE. Any subsequent efforts to sync and bring the Editor online produce the same result.

A few notes that may help.

1. I've tried different USB cables (with the same results) as a diagnostic, but my hardware setup has remained unchanged throughout, I have not installed or uninstalled any software other than Windows updates.

2. I have been successful once and once only, on my second attempt. I had just changed the MIDI sync from INTERNAL to AUTO, and I (foolishly) thought the problem solved. I've been unable to duplicate this success since, regardless of the MIDI sync setting.

3. When I import the Song data into Cubase (as described in Step 1) and click the play button on the Cubase screen, the imported tracks play, although the voices are not correct because the Editor is offline. Also in the Editor, even offline, notes played on the Motif are displayed on the Editor screen virtual keyboard and notes clicked on the virtual keyboard are played on the Motif. It is for these reasons that I have thought that the USB driver is working, at least in some capacity.

4. The same error occurs when I start the Editor alone (without Cubase). I can open a .X0A file and import a Song successfully, but cannot sync with the Motif.

Hopefully this detail is a bit more accurate and useful. Thanks for your help.

Best,

Joe

Posted : 03/03/2017 3:22 pm
Bad Mister

Based on the fact that you are receiving a specific error message we can eliminate the following

1. I've tried different USB cables (with the same results) as a diagnostic, but my hardware setup has remained unchanged throughout, I have not installed or uninstalled any software other than Windows updates.

An "Illegal Bulk Data" error means it can see the data, so clearly in fact, it knows it cannot deal with it. This is partially good news, because it is working. If the cable was not working one clue would be no response. The fact that out of all the error messages it has, the requirement was met to recall this specific message. Try a different file or a different set of data... or you are simply in the wrong mode.... but the cable is very likely working because the request was sent and a response was given. We'll take that as a sign communication is working in both directions. You would receive no error message at all if the cable wasn't working.

2. I have been successful once and once only, on my second attempt. I had just changed the MIDI sync from INTERNAL to AUTO, and I (foolishly) thought the problem solved. I've been unable to duplicate this success since, regardless of the MIDI sync setting.

As you have guessed this has nothing to do with the communication error. Or anything beyond when MIDI CLOCK is used. Make sure you are in the correct mode on the XS... SONG mode.

3. When I import the Song data into Cubase (as described in Step 1) and click the play button on the Cubase screen, the imported tracks play, although the voices are not correct because the Editor is offline. Also in the Editor, even offline, notes played on the Motif are displayed on the Editor screen virtual keyboard and notes clicked on the virtual keyboard are played on the Motif. It is for these reasons that I have thought that the USB driver is working, at least in some capacity.

You should realize the Song Mixing setup containing all the correct settings is already in your Motif XS!!! Simply call up that Song... the whole second step of transferring the MIXING setup to Cubase is so that it also gets stored in your computer inside the Cubase Project.

The article refers to step 1 as the MIDI Sequence data transfer
Step 2 as the Song Mixing transfer.

For now simply call up the Song in the MOTIF XS. It contains all the correct sounds and settings

4. The same error occurs when I start the Editor alone (without Cubase). I can open a .X0A file and import a Song successfully, but cannot sync with the Motif.

The USB is working. You just need to work out how to get the Editor to come Online.

In the Editor make sure SONG is selected. On the Motif XS make sure the Song you want is recalled.
On the Editor go to BULK > DATA SYNC
Setup the dialog box to "RECEIVE", and select "CURRENT"
Click OK

Posted : 03/03/2017 7:37 pm
Topic starter

Dear Bad Mister,

Making some progress.

In the Editor make sure SONG is selected. On the Motif XS make sure the Song you want is recalled.
On the Editor go to BULK > DATA SYNC
Setup the dialog box to "RECEIVE", and select "CURRENT"
Click OK

This operation works, meaning that the contents of the current song successfully transfers to the Editor without error. It works even with all options on, it just takes correspondingly longer. The larger point is that it seems to work regardless of options selected, and regardless of MIDI sync settings on the Motif; I can't make it fail. However, the Editor still remains off line afterwards, and any attempt to bring it on line still fails as described above.

Where to from here? All help appreciated.

Best,

Joe

Posted : 04/03/2017 2:33 am
Bad Mister

Can you post a couple of screenshots:
1) Cubase Track window
2) Editor > FILE > SETUP

Thanks.

Posted : 04/03/2017 7:14 pm
Topic starter

Dear Bad Mister,

I have attached the requested screen shots. In the meantime, I tried a bulk data sync from the PC to the Motif and it was also successful, but again, the Editor remains offline afterwards. More evidence to me that this is an Editor problem. Please review and let me know if there is anything else you may need. Thanks so much for your help.

Best,

Joe

Attached files

Posted : 04/03/2017 10:57 pm
Bad Mister

Bulk > DATA SYNC does not bring the Editor Online... it simply syncs the data between the hardware and software.
Once you have completed the DATA SYNC, go to the FILE > SETUP screen and as you have shown above, click OK. This will send the DATA you just "Received" back to the Motif XS and bring the Editor Online.

Your screenshot indicates that you have two Motif XS's, if this is not the case let us know.
You should open only one instance of the Motif XS VST at a time.

Posted : 05/03/2017 5:48 am
Topic starter

Dear Bad Mister,

Once you have completed the DATA SYNC, go to the FILE > SETUP screen and as you have shown above, click OK. This will send the DATA you just "Received" back to the Motif XS and bring the Editor Online.

I can perform the DATA SYNC as mentioned above, but clicking OK on the SETUP screen appears to do nothing at all. The Editor remains offline. Am I missing something?

Your screenshot indicates that you have two Motif XS's, if this is not the case let us know. You should open only one instance of the Motif XS VST at a time.

I don't know why the prefix "2-" appears before the device name. It just appeared yesterday, seemingly out of thin air. I have restarted both the computer and the Motif and it's still there. I am satisfied that there is only one instance of the VST active, but is this symptomatic of another issue?

Thanks for all your help.

Best,

Joe

Posted : 05/03/2017 6:26 pm
Bad Mister

I can perform the DATA SYNC as mentioned above, but clicking OK on the SETUP screen appears to do nothing at all. The Editor remains offline. Am I missing something?

I am referring to the very SETUP screen you posted above.
You have the items set so the MOTIF XS is sending to the PC. Reverse that....

You need to set the direction the other way when you want to send data from the computer to the Motif XS - please click the boxes to reverse the direction so you are sending the BULK > DATA SYNC info you "Received" back to the Motif XS.

Global _ PC > Motif XS
Current _ PC > Motif XS

Posted : 05/03/2017 7:32 pm
Topic starter

Dear Bad Mister,

Sorry for the delay. Had to interrupt all this fun for some rehearsals.

I have tried SETUP exactly as you describe above and I get the "Illegal bulk data" error message on the Motif screen.

Is there any setting on the Motif that could be causing this?

All help appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Best,

Joe

Posted : 09/03/2017 2:10 am
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us