Motif VST and Studi...

Notifications
Clear all

Motif VST and Studio One

2 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Before I spend time chasing something that may not work: I have had an XS8 for many years, but I'm just now getting into recording with it. It so happens that I have an FW-equipped laptop that's fairly powerful, which I thought I would dedicate to this purpose. I also have a Presonus FireStudio Mobile (FSM) interface that came with a slew of software, including Studio One Artist 4, which I have been investigating, and which appears to work pretty well. I'm able to run the Motif Editor and successfully connect to the XS over FW plugged into the Presonus (it has two FW sockets), even while using Studio One, albeit with the XS audio line output running into the FSM line inputs (along with a mic into the FSM). I'll have to upgrade Studio One in order to be able to add VSTs. My question is: is using the VST plug-in likely to succeed as a means of getting XS MIDI into Studio One? The question is more than academic because at the moment, I'm missing an adapter cable for the FSM that converts MIDI and S/PDIF connectors into a DB9 socket on the FSM.

Posted : 01/02/2021 3:46 pm
Topic starter

Remarkably enough, I did manage to get the XS8 to talk to Studio One as a MIDI controller over FW. Part of the setup of an "external device" in S1 is a bit confusing; S1 wants two devices set up - a "keyboard", presumably as an input device, and an "instrument", presumably output. There are options I don't fully understand for "Send to" and "Receive From" properties of either type of device - XS-8 MIDI Main, XS-8 MIDI In, XS-8 MIDI Out, and XS-8 MIDI Remote. So far, only MIDI Main seems to work, and only as input. I'm not sure that I want playback to the XS at all, but I'd like to understand how all this is working.

Posted : 01/02/2021 8:29 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us