Notifications
Clear all

Motif XS, Extension, Song Import, and Track Names

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi,

I'm using Cubase 8.5 Pro, Motif XS Extension 1.6.1, and Motif XS Editor SA VST 1.6.4 softwares along with my Yamaha Motif XS6 keyboard.

When I do a Motif XS Song Import (from a .XOA file) I get the tracks into Cubase, but they are simply named Track 1, Track 2, etc.

How can I get the tracks to come in with the names assigned as per the names in the Song in the keyboard?

Is there a setting to set or something I need to do with the Editor first?

Posted : 30/06/2016 8:23 pm
Topic starter

Second question is: What can I do to make sure the imported tracks are created with their outputs assigned to route the MIDI back out to the keyboard?

Currently, I'm seeing Imported tracks route their data to the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth (which is useless!).

Posted : 30/06/2016 8:32 pm
Bad Mister

How can I get the tracks to come in with the names assigned as per the names in the Song in the keyboard?

The Tracks have no names in the Motif XS. Think about it. Don't mix up the synths Parts (sounds) which have names with the Midi tracks are simply called 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

To understand the Motif XS Song Import is two understand the two components that are imported
1) the data on the Tracks, which is MIDI events, only
2) the MIXING setup, imported by the Editor, which is your synth sounds

Please see the following step-by-step article: Motif XS SONG IMPORT

If you get stuck post back here.

Posted : 01/07/2016 5:26 am
Topic starter

Bad Mister wrote:

The Tracks have no names in the Motif XS. Think about it. Don't mix up the synths Parts (sounds) which have names with the Midi tracks are simply called 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

OK, I take your point, and thank you for your reply!

FWIW, my perspective is that track names like 'Track 1', 'Track 2' etc. are kinda useless, and I would find it helpful if the import software could assign the Voice Names to the Track Names automatically or in a single operation on the Cubase side, saving me from having to do all that typing by hand if that is the result I want.

I get it though that this would be a whole "next level' of anticipatory automated assistance, and that the Import operation as implemented is not "losing names" but rather just working with what is there in the first place.

Again, thanks!

Posted : 02/07/2016 4:51 pm
Bad Mister

You are not understanding the nature of what is happening. A track can have several different programs associated with it. Naturally, from your perspective, the currently selected Voice should be the default name of the Track, but that is not how it works. The name of the track is set separately/manually because it is independent of the sound currently occupying it.

What if a program change causes this track to change sounds five or six times? So understand, it is not setup so the track name = the instrument name, because it's broken, it's setup that way *on purpose*. It is a separate thing. It's not broke.

What you do get
When you have you Track and the Editor linked properly, and you Select the Track in Cubase, this action will automatically Select the Part in the Editor VST and vice versa. So you don't need to see the name on the Cubase Inspector, anytime you select a track in Cubase the name highlight in the Motif XS Editor, where the parameters that you edit are available.

That's how it's designed to work.

Tracks contain only MIDI data, and Transmit
Parts are synth tone generator sounds, and Recieve

It is possible to have one Track transmit to several Parts simultaneously - because "Track" does not always equal "Part".
Starting to make sense? Your request is noted, you want that association between the Track you are recording and the Part (sound) playing the data. That is exactly what the relationship (integration) between the Cubase Track Inspector and Motif XS Editor VST does once you are configured properly. They don't even have to be in order, the link is made do that they are paired. Check it out! See how this works, before you assume it is broken.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 02/07/2016 5:26 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us