Synth Forum

Sitting a A/D vocal...

Notifications
Clear all

Sitting a A/D vocal inside a song mix on Motif ES - Available insertion effects / edits

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
thomas
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Phil, Can you tell me what insertion effects and voice edits as possible within my Motif ES when I am using the A/D to sing into a mic live over Songs. Not looking to record, just sing live over my various Songs. Am I able to add any insertion effects to mic on A/D? I was hoping to attach and experiment with some compressors or other effects to help warm up my vocals a bit to fit them in better inside my mixes. Possible? I read about VCM Compressor 376, but understand that is only available on later model Motifs...

Posted : 17/10/2019 12:19 am
Bad Mister

When you want to assign Insertion Effects to the A/D Input In Mixing

* Press [MIXING]
* Press [EDIT]
* Press [COMMON]
* Press [F6] EFFECT
* Press [SF1] CONNECT
To view the Effect Routing through this program.

To turn on the Insertion Effect for the A/D input:
* Press [SF2] INS SW (Insert Switch)

You can turn the AD PART = ON, if and only if, you have an INSERTION SWITCH available. It may be necessary to turn the INSERTION SWITCH OFF on another Part so that you can activate the On switch for AD. Only 8 Insertion Effects can be active at a time.

Notice that you are placing the INSERTION SWITCH on the AD (analog-to-digital) input PART

Select the INSERTION EFFECT for the AD INPUT:

* Press [F5] AUDIO IN
* Press [SF2] INS TYPE

Here you have the dual processors with 116 algorithms each. These effects applied here will be applied to the AD Input. You can select from among Compressors, Reverbs, Chorus, Delays, etc., etc.

You don’t get VCM Effects in the Motif ES (2003) but in the DYNAMICS category you’ll find a Compressor.

* Press [SF3] INS_A (and SF4 INS_B, if selected) to edit the selected Insertion Effect parameters.
* Press [SF1] OUTPUT - Set the parameters for the AD PART, including the pan, output level, Mono/Stereo, etc.

* Set the Mono/Stereo to “L­_mono” to correspond to the jack you are using on the back panel of the Motif ES for the microphone input.
* Increase the Volume as necessary for comfort.

Posted : 17/10/2019 8:02 am
thomas
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Ok. Thanks Phil....l will start experimenting with these effects to find the right combination of reverb, EQ and compression to make the vocals behave better inside the mix. One more set up question?? Am I correct that insertion effects are applied on an individual part basis only? And I am limited to eight pairs? I read on another Yamaha forum post, and in the manual that there is a compressor available as a master effect (multi-band comp I.) Is that the same individual insertion effect with same individual A/B parameters?

Posted : 17/10/2019 12:49 pm
Bad Mister

Dual Insert Effects are *inserted* to a Part. Any eight Parts.

The Master Effect as the name implies is applied to the entire mix just prior to the Master EQ and the Main Output.
The Multi-band Compressor is finalizing effect and is typically applied overall.

Compressors are in a class of processing devices called “Leveling Amplifiers”. There are several kinds for different usages.

The Compressor as an Insertion Effect adds presence to just the individual channel. The nature of what it does it is best targeting a single instrument. Since it is preventing signal from overloading - it compresses the dynamic (soft-to-loud) range.

The Multi-band Compressor does its leveling control by frequency band, which is quite a different usage. Used to punch up an overall mix by rebalancing frequency ranges - it’s like a dynamic range compressing frequency specific EQ.

You can get quite a good sound using the A/D In on the ES... I think they did a Take 6 a vocal demo using the A/D In on a Motif ES. The compressor, artfully, applied to your dynamic mic input will allow you to create professional sounding vocals

Posted : 17/10/2019 2:34 pm
thomas
Estimable Member
Topic starter

If its good enough for Take 6....must be great. I'll get to work experimenting and learning the parameters.

Posted : 17/10/2019 3:20 pm
thomas
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Phil,

Can I also add and control vibrato on my A/D input vocals? I was thinking to use the modulation wheel with a foot controller to add vibrato when singing. Is there attack setting on such pitch modulation so I can slow the start of vibrato, its speed and intensity?

Posted : 14/12/2021 2:44 pm
Bad Mister

No. (Only if you have a MIDI input on your neck somewhere).

Your vocals are sound (audio)
MW only speaks MIDI (not Audio)
MW can only be applied to synth sounds…

You would need to Record/Sample your vocal as Audio - create a Motif ES Waveform from the data.
Place that Waveform in a Motif ES Voice… then like any other Voice in the ES you can Assign vibrato (Pitch Modulation) to the Voice via the MW

Posted : 14/12/2021 3:20 pm
thomas
Estimable Member
Topic starter

OK- that makes sense for when / where I can use the Mod Wheel. I am just looking to affect pitch on live singing, not for recording. Been looking at TC Helicon voice processors. They don't seem to have any built-in vibrato effect; however, they published a demo of their Perform VK unit connected to a Yamaha keyboard (not a Motif) and was able to add vibrato live while singing. I thought the vibrato effect originated from the keyboard, but maybe not. Don't know how else to modify and control pitch other than with the Mod wheel. I will contact TC Helicon to figure out how they did it.

Posted : 14/12/2021 11:00 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us