Synth Forum

Motif ES - How / wh...

Notifications
Clear all

Motif ES - How / where to Insert Effects to Voice Elements - editing in Voice Mode vs thru a Pattern/Song Mix

10 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
thomas
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Phil, I am now really trying to understand and use the Insertion Effects on my ES (about time to go beyond the System Reverb & Chorus). My primary workflow starts in Pattern Mode to Chain to Song. Whatever voice edits I make to Voices i make within the Mix. I am saving them as a mix voice only. Few questions, Am I correct to understand that I cannot add Insertion Effects to Voice elements within a Pattern or Song Mix. Instead, I can only add Insertion effects to the entire voice (Part)? Second, if I add an Insertion Effect to a Part in a Mix, is it true (likely) that there are already other Insertion Effects attached to one or more of the elements of whatever preset voices I assigned to the part I now want to add an Insertion Effect to? Does that mean that Insertion Effects can be layered starting with the individual elements of voices and then on top of that to Parts (entire voices) assigned to a Mix?

Posted : 18/10/2019 8:29 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry, you’ve lost me.

Posted : 19/10/2019 3:45 pm
thomas
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Am I correct that on the ES, Insert Effects are available to add to both voice elements in Voice Mode and to Pattern or Song mix parts? So, if I add a factory pre-set voice to a mix which voice already has insert effects assigned to one or more of its elements, can I still insert more effects over that same voice (as a whole - all elements) through pattern or song mix part editing?

Posted : 19/10/2019 6:57 pm
Bad Mister

I don’t know what you mean by assigning Insert Effects to “voice elements”....

A normal Voice can have 8 Elements
A drum kit Voice can have 73 Elements

A Voice can have but two Insert Effects

An Element can be routed to either Insert A, or Insert B. Insert A and B can be routed in series (A->B, or B->A) or in parallel.

A Voice exists in VOICE Mode, only
A Voice can be placed in one of four Parts when you go to Performance mode. A Voice placed in a Performance is called a “Part”.
A Voice can be placed in one of sixteen Parts when you go to Song/Pattern MIXING Mode. A Voice placed in a Mixing is called a “Part”.

Any 8 Parts can have their dual Insertion Effects active, simultaneously.
In a Performance mode that means all four Parts can recall their dual Insertion Effects from Voice Mode
In a Song/Pattern Mixing that means any eight Parts can recall their dual Insertion Effects from Voice Mode.

Any normal Voice can be edited directly from a Song/Pattern Mixing using the “VCE ED” access point. This is the so called “Mix Voice”, which gets stored in the current Mixing setup. You can apply dual Insertion Effects to this If you select it as one of your eight Parts that are to use Insertion Effects.

Posted : 19/10/2019 8:26 pm
thomas
Estimable Member
Topic starter

You say "In a Song/Pattern Mixing that means any eight Parts can recall their dual Insertion Effects from Voice Mode." So I understand that to mean that all I am doing within Pattern / Song Mix Edit is changing whatever insertion Effects were previously put on in Voice Mode, correct? There is only one set of dual insertion effects available per Voice. I am able to edit them in either Voice mode OR thru a Pattern or Song mix, correct?

Posted : 19/10/2019 11:26 pm
Bad Mister

So I understand that to mean that all I am doing within Pattern / Song Mix Edit is changing whatever insertion Effects were previously put on in Voice Mode, correct?

When you create a MIX VOICE you are literally working on a copy of the Voice in Voice Mode. That one back in Voice Mode remains as it always was. You Mix Voice is a completely separate version... it is completely independent from the original.

There is only one set of dual insertion effects available per Voice. I am able to edit them in either Voice mode OR thru a Pattern or Song mix, correct?

Yes. And when you do it through a Song/Pattern Mix, you are creating a brand new special Voice accessible ONLY in the Song/Pattern Mixing.

Posted : 29/10/2019 4:09 pm
thomas
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Phil, Can you help me navigate to add Insert Effects to parts & plug-in voices in either a Pattern or Song Mix? Here is what I tried....First, I made sure I turned on the INSERT Switch for the eight parts and PLG voices I want, then I select MIX, EDIT, EFFECT, CONNECT.... then all I see is a dotted box around "VCE INS". The only live effect (solid outline) I can add is my PLG -VH. What am I missing / doing wrong? You said earlier that VOICE ED is my access point.....I see VCE ED as an option (with a rightward facing arrow) after pressing MIX for my 1-16 parts. However, its not an option once I choose my 1-3 PLG board voices. By accident, I stumbled my way to INSERTS for my internal voices, but now I can't even replicate my path there again......Again, I am trying to add the INSERTS to mix voices working in either Pattern or Song mode. THX in advance for your help.

Posted : 08/11/2019 2:08 pm
Bad Mister

“VceEd” is your access point for Normal AWM2 PARTs... when you wish to change the assigned a Insertion Effect.

You will program the dual Insertion Effect on your PLG150 program in VOICE mode. Assign the Motif ES Insert Effects to the PLG150 Voice, store it, then use that stored PLG150 Voice in your Song/Pattern Mixing... making sure you activate the PLG slot to recall the Insert Effects.

Posted : 08/11/2019 5:54 pm
thomas
Estimable Member
Topic starter

In other words, you can only create mix voices using internal AWM2 parts?
and, the proper navigation (in Pattern or Song mode) to get to the Insertion pair screen for AWM2 voices is MIX, VCE ED, then EFFECTS?
Anticipating my next lesson...can I also ask if adding Insert effects to AWM2 drum voices work the same way? In other words, I can apply A B to whatever parts (elements) of my drum kit that I want? I guess each key would be associated with different element and there would could be as many as 73 elements in each drum voice, depending on how many drums, cymbals, etc... are sampled and mapped in each drum voice?

Posted : 08/11/2019 6:13 pm
Bad Mister

In other words, you can only create mix voices using internal AWM2 parts?

Correct, AWM2 Normal Voices

and, the proper navigation (in Pattern or Song mode) to get to the Insertion pair screen for AWM2 voices is MIX, VCE ED, then EFFECTS?

Yes, understand that when you hit "VCE ED" you are dropping into VOICE EDIT. So it is exactly like editing in VOICE mode, except this is a special MIX VOICE. So all navigation is just like you were editing a VOICE (because you are!)

can I also ask if adding Insert effects to AWM2 drum voices work the same way?

Everything about DRUMS (and drummers) is always a bit different.

In other words, I can apply A B to whatever parts (elements) of my drum kit that I want?

Within a Drum Kit, there are 73 Elements. Each Element can be routed to an INSERTION EFFECT A or B, or it can be routed to the System Effects. That is, if you select the Snare Drum on D1, and you route it to INS A, you will see the "Send" to Reverb and to Chorus will both disappear. A drum Key can be routed to either the INSERTION EFFECT or Bypass them entirely (THRU), when set to THRU it will have a SEND amount to the Reverb and to the Chorus (SYSTEM) Effects.

Let's say you set the Snare Reverb Send to 45, and you set the Kick Drum Reverb Send to 0... Then when you turn the overall reverb for the DRUM KIT up or down, it will only affect the Snare, not the Kick Drum. Only those drum Keys that you have turned up the Key Send, will feed the Kit Send. Each of the 73 Elements of a Drum Kit are autonomous and their routing is set per KEY.

A Drum Kit can have two Insertion Effects (like a Normal Voice), A and B. A Drum Key must share the Insert with any other Drum Key you route there. They can be configured in parallel (separate send to each) or in series (A>B, B>A). You may wonder how it works if you want to place a Compressor on the Kick and Snare...

Posted : 15/11/2019 6:58 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us