Synth Forum

Yamaha S80 - Can yo...

Notifications
Clear all

Yamaha S80 - Can you change MOD wheel MIDI output channel?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I'm using a Yamaha s80 Synthezier as a MIDI controller into a laptop that generates the keyboard sounds. The app I'm using requires the MOD wheel to send on Channel 1. It currently comes out on 15. Is there a way to change the MIDI output of the MOD wheel only?

Posted : 29/10/2020 3:22 pm
Bad Mister

I'm using a Yamaha s80 Synthezier as a MIDI controller into a laptop that generates the keyboard sounds. The app I'm using requires the MOD wheel to send on Channel 1. It currently comes out on 15. Is there a way to change the MIDI output of the MOD wheel only?

Hi Sharon,
You have not provided enough information for us to truly help you but we can straighten you out on how MIDI Transmit works on the S80 (or pretty much any MIDI Keyboard). When you set the Transmit Chanel on the keyboard, the Keys and all of the Controllers transmit on the current MIDI Channel. When you are in Voice or Performance Mode on the S80 you can select one Channel on which to Transmit Out via MIDI.

The S80 also has a Master Keyboard function which lets you transmit Out on more than one channel at a time (explained below).

”The S80 has special settings in Performance Mode so that you can use the instrument as MIDI master keyboard. You can activate the function (enable those special settings) when you press the [MASTER KEYBOARD] key on the panel (its LED will light). Now your instrument can send performance on the keyboard to an external tone generator, as well as the internal tone generator, according to the master keyboard settings in Performance Mode. If you divide the keyboard into several (up to four) key ranges and assign separate MIDI transmit channels, the keyboard can control multiple parts (channels) from the internal tone generator and external MIDI devices of those channels at the same time.”

There are three Master Keyboard Modes (how to make key ranges) available: Split, 4 Zones, and Layer.

When Split is selected, the Lower could be one channel, while the Upper a different channel.
When 4 Zone is selected, you can set a Zone for internal or external use. This is what you probably want to explore

See the Yamaha S80 Owners Manual page 57-61 for details on the Modes, and pages 127-129 for details on setting the Zone parameters per Zone.

You could use the Master Keyboard function to create a Zone (Zone 1) set it so the internal TG (Tone Generator) = Off, select whatever MIDI Transmit channel you desire, set the Note Range, you can even set what physical Controllers will transmit Out via MIDI. If you set the Zone to Transmit Channel 1 the MW and all other controllers (PB Wheel, Aftertouch, FC, BC, etc., etc) will also be on the same channel 1.

You can activate or deactivate controllers on a per Zone basis, you can set Note Limit ranges as you desire (you can set the Note Limits so none of the keys transmit Out — you do so by making the Note Limit High = C-2 and the Note Limit Low = G8)... if necessary, I’m sure you can create a Zone that only transmitted MW...

Posted : 29/10/2020 4:26 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us