Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

3rd Party Library .wav will only play on 1 key.

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Antony
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I bought a Pink Floyd sounds library €50.

There is a "tick tock" .wav file used for the intro of the song Time, (nicknamed "The Heart Beat" in Floyd communities).

The problem I have is this.

In the 3rd Party performance, the heartbeat only plays on the F#1 (single key) . I need it to play on the E and A as well (Chord/Bass progression F#m, E.... repeat ×8, F#m, A, E)

I created an init AWM2 performance and loaded the heartbeat.wav as the first (and only ON) element. So as to isolate the .wav file and learn how to make it play anywhere.

At this pount, the .wav only plays on C3, despite all keyboard limits being set to C2-G8.

I can set the coarse tuning to make it play on another key, but it will only ever play/trigger on 1 key.

What am I doing wrong?

I need it to play on multiple/any key between E1 and A1.

Thanks in advance.

Posted : 14/01/2021 2:10 pm
Antony
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I think I sussed it....

1st Import the library performance into USER memory.

This makes the 3rd Party .wav a User .wav and then makes it editable....

Element Edit...
Edit User Wave Form

I found out the Existing Key Bank was only 1 key (C3). So I changed it to all keys.

I also had to flatten off the Pitch/Key in Element Edit Osc/Tune (0%) otherwise it was faster/slower heart beat if you played higher/lower on keyboard.

Then I set note limit E1 to A1 for the element in Part/element edit.

Posted : 14/01/2021 3:21 pm
Bad Mister

Excellent!

The Range you see on the HOME screen represents the Low/High Note Limits for the Performance Part. (All 8 Oscillators together)
As you discovered, at a deeper level, each Oscillator can have its own Range.
In the AWM2 engine each Part can have 8 Oscillators called Elements. These 8 Elements can be mapped horizontally across the keyboard by Note and vertically by Velocity to create the Part.

Each Element is assigned a Waveform...which in AWM2 can be a collection of as few as 1 and as many as 256 individual samples. And at a still deeper level of the architecture... These individual samples (assembled by Note Range and Velocity Range) are referred to as KeyBanks.

So when you load a .wav to the MODX... it becomes one of 256 possible KeyBanks that can be assigned to the Waveform... initially it occupies just the range C3-C3 and it responds to all velocities, 1-127. At this deepest level, if you only engage a one note range... that is all you will be able to access at the higher levels of the architecture.

Remember, a computer can play a .wav... it’s not a “musical” experience... it is always the same when played by the computer. That’s like occupying one key, and as you will notice that no matter how hard or soft you hit the Spacebar or click the mouse, it always plays at the overall volume of your computer’s speakers. Not very musical.

Wav—>Waveform
When a .Wav becomes a MODX Waveform, it gains a bunch of parameters that turn it from an audio clip, into a musical entity.
You can assign the original pitch to any Key you wish... if you wish to tune the pitch of playback you can extend the range of Keys that will trigger it... the default (as you state is C3-C3, you can extend its range as you require) the scaling across the keys is initially tuned to Equal Temperament... such that each half-step is 1/12 of an octave from its neighbor. Go up or down an octave you double or half the speed of playback - gets faster or slower. Technical term is “munchkinization” also called “chipmunking” 🙂

The Pitch/Key parameter at 0% fixes the frequency of playback... 100% is normal tuning (Equal Temperament). 200% a tritone becomes an octave.

You got the MODX ... as Ray Charles used to say: “You got the right one, baby!”
Stage Keyboards do not go here - ya dig?

Posted : 15/01/2021 2:36 pm
Antony
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Cheers

Posted : 15/01/2021 2:40 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us