Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Can you assign Tap Tempo to a footswitch?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Antony
Estimable Member
Topic starter

As per title of post.

2nd Question - if so, will any "tap tempo" pedal work?

3rd Question - If MIDI'd up, will a tap tempo connected to another rig send correct tap tempo to the MODX? This is a thinking ahead scenario.... our drummer uses a Roland electronic drum kit. Its a top of the range kit, will confirm model later.

Scenario... Pink Floyd covers. Many keyboard parts run through Echo/Delay Fx usually synced to a note length.

+ I have written some User Arpeggios that need to be tempo synced.

Cheers,

Tony

Posted : 14/01/2021 12:36 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Source: https://www.yamahasynth.com/learn/news/montage-modx-synthtips-how-to-change-the-foot-switch-assignment

The Foot Switch is assigned under UTILITY. This means it will work the same way in ALL Performances. MONTAGE OS v3.5 and MODX OS v2.5 add the ability to control Tap Tempo with the Foot Switch.

Previous firmware did not allow for you to use a standard momentary footswitch plugged (like an FC5) into the footswitch connector to control tap tempo. Now this can be done.

Source: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/modx/update.html

Tap Tempo assign to FS2
Foot Switch assignments are globally set under [UTILITY]/Settings/MIDI I/O. Here, MIDI control numbers and hardware-specific controls can be assigned: Arp Switch On/Off, MS (Motion Sequence) Switch On/, Sequencer Play/Stop, Live Set +, Live Set – and Octave Reset. With MODX OS v2.5, Tap Tempo is added. This is a nice feature for live performance - making it easy to control the tempo of the Pattern Sequencer or set a tempo delay effect to sync with a live band, all hands-free.

Your 3rd question doesn't involve tap tempo as I read it. It sounds like what you're asking is if MODX can receive the MIDI clock from an external device so it is in sync with another device that would provide the tempo. The answer is yes. You need to set your MIDI clock source to external and the external device needs to be sending a MIDI clock. This does not involve tap tempo - the external device would be responsible for adjusting/setting/sending the clock through whatever mechanisms it has to do so.

Posted : 14/01/2021 1:42 pm
Antony
Estimable Member
Topic starter

It sounds like what you're asking is if MODX can receive the MIDI clock from an external device so it is in sync with another device that would provide the tempo. The answer is yes.

Thanks for answers.

Regards MIDI Clock...

If I have a Performance and the BPM is stored at (the correct) value of 100 BPM, but our drummer kicks off and he's playing at 106BPM, and his drums are sending MIDI clock, will the Performance in the MODX change to 106BPM?

In this scenario, I want an ARP playing a very simple looping bass pattern, with dotted eighth delays, which causes the heard pattern to be flurries of 1/16th notes (Brick In the Wall Part 1 if you are interested)

Background, our drummer refuses to play to a click (dirty laundry, sorry) . I normally compensate when playing guitar with a tap tempo delay.

I don't know the Roland Drum kits, but my guess is it has some form of Auto BPM detect on it (I know my Boss RC300 has this), and I'm pretty sure it could send out a click or BPM sync.... which I guess is the MIDI Clock?

Posted : 14/01/2021 11:39 pm
Bad Mister

From a previous post.... discussion was on using tempo driven technology with a live band... I don’t blame your drummer!!!
You can feed Tempo to the MODX either via MIDI (MIDI SYNC = MIDI) or BEAT (AD In)

Extra Credit: Alternate Methods
The best way to use devices that have their own tempo (like arpeggiators) is to have a clock that can be *heard by all the musicians in the band*, then syncing your instrument to that audible clock source. Tapping the tempo in order to correct your instrument’s Arpeggiators to the tempo of the band is a full time job. You need to setup a “conductor”.

The reason orchestras have a Conductor (with a dress tuxedo and baton) who stands in front of the ensemble where everyone can see them, is so that no one person has to sit there and constantly interpret tempo for someone else. Everyone in the band collectively is following the conductor.

Some band’s attempt to solve this by giving a click to the drummer and everyone follows the drummer... this is not foolproof either. They wind up blaming the drummer when the band is completely lost. Sooner or later an entire Beat gets “lost”.

Imagine if only the first violinist could see the conductor, and everyone else has to follow the first violinist. Not ideal either. In fact, it will not work! Take a hint from this...

Ideal or better, would be a clocked device that everyone in the band can hear and play along with. If you are the only one attempting to adjust your technology to the tempo... ? How are you going to play?

If you have a device that generates tempo and you can feed it into the band’s monitors, then you can feed that clock directly to your MODX and have it automate the tempo for the entire band. In order to use tempo driven devices like Arpeggiators, you need a reliable clock source, where its everybody’s responsibility to adjust to the tempo.

All the musicians have ears, when Arp joins your band, you must make allowances for this huge technological step. Arp (while ‘he’ can play the most difficult passages correctly every time, and he knows literally thousands of riffs in all keys) ‘he’ cannot hear. And while his timing is impeccable, he cannot hear on his own. And the prospect of you constantly tapping tempo, will not only NOT be fun, you’ll soon discover its a constant, thankless job

I recommend an external clock that can feed MIDI clock to your MODX, and you need an audible output that can feed the band’s monitors. Share the TEMPO responsibility with the entire band. If money were no object: you’d solve this with a killer monitoring system.

Alternatively, feed an audio signal to the MODX A/D Input and set your MODX MIDI SYNC = A/D IN... you can feed tempo by placing a mic on your drummer. This requires practice, and is a second choice simply because of the discipline it requires. But I’d try this over tap, tap, tapping tempo constantly.

Hope that helps. ………

Final word...
If the drummer is using a clocked device (that they are comfortable with), that’s as good as a good monitoring system. You can guarantee that your MODX will be “listening” to the same clock source as your drummer! If it can derive tempo accurately from the drummer’s playing and can output MIDI clock or output a metronome click... (your MODX can follow an audible click), you’re in. Being a synthesizer, you’ll find the MODX can interface with the band — this means, you can feed audio or MIDI into it to help it interact with what the live band is doing.

Remember: an Arp does not start by pressing a Start button or a Play button... an ARP requires musically intelligent input that instructs it to play specific phrases which it can adjust according to that musical input. The musical input must be *on time*. Neatness counts -)

Once triggered because an Arpeggio Phrase length is fixed...if you trigger it late, say you miss the controlling chord is 100 clock ticks late... the phrase will be offset 100 clock ticks and remain 100 clock tick late. This is the real-time nature of arpeggios.

The Phil Collins solution: in the iconic recording of “In the Air Tonight”, drummer Phil Collins used a drum machine pattern to keep the tempo during the a cappella vocal introduction... he programmed something that would establish/keep the feel. Originally, it was only to be used in the headphones... (I guess it would have gone directly from the a cappella vocals to the big acoustic drum fill that kicks off the Song) ...but as occurs often in the studio, listening to it again, and again... it got to feel good to them, so good... they left it in (and the rest is history).

The take away here is.. have your drummer program the rhythmic Pattern... a drum machine pattern is better than a click-click-click (which offers nothing in terms of “feel”) while a drum pattern that is complimentary to what they will be playing, it ceases to be a chore to play along with and becomes fun instead. (An important thing in all of this, is they need to program it... “they” meaning the drummer! It must not compete with them... it must compliment what they are doing... I’ve found this works for many bands (especially when the drummer doesn’t want to play with a click)!!!

Posted : 15/01/2021 12:44 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us