Notifications
Clear all

Arp only playing 2 of 5 bars

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I have created a user arp that is 5 measures long. When I play it from the play button on the front of the modx all is fine. I loaded it into a performance in the arpeggio individual screen
But it only plays 2 measures. I've spent a lot of time trying to fix it. All help is appreciated

Posted : 08/07/2021 11:10 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Below primarily refers to the Performance Recorder user arp methods ...

When you press "play" - you are playing a song. A song is roughly equivalent to a MIDI file. This is a stage of your recording before the data is converted to an arpeggio. When you choose the "User Arp" option from the song recording, you are presented with a new menu "Put Track To Arpeggio". Here there are several options in order to convert the data. The key one for the arpeggio length is on the bottom row showing "Measure - Start - End". By default the start is "1" and end is "2". That's 1 measure. Bump up the end measure to match. If you want 5 measures - and assuming starting on measure 1 - then start should be "1" and end should be "6".

I just created my own 8ish measure song file, then created an ARP and used Measure Start = 1 and Measure End = 6. This created a 5-measure arpeggio.

Also note that on the song screen prior to the "Put Track To Arpeggio" - there is the option to define the time signature. The time signature would also be key in defining correctly in order to get the correct measure count relative to the click's beat and how what you play is evaluated in context. What I mean is that if you define a "wrong" time signature - then your measure count could be off due to this. You have to set the time signature before recording your song. This seems like the only place to do it.

Posted : 09/07/2021 5:01 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks. I believe that I had saved it as the wrong type. I selected Fixed and it works now. πŸ˜€

Posted : 09/07/2021 4:05 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Ok - changing the type, by the way, is not going to change the amount of measures.

However, if you have a pattern that is like this:

C1 D1 E1 F1 (1st measure) G1 A1 A#1 B1 (2nd measure) C2 D2 E2 F2 (3rd measure) G2 A2 A#2 B2 (4th measure)

Then because the the 3rd and 4th measure are the same notes displaced by an octave - the "normal" conversion type is going to play all of this in the same octave which could sound like the wrong amount of measures.

Glad you got that sorted.

Posted : 09/07/2021 4:16 pm
Bad Mister

I have created a user arp that is 5 measures long. When I play it from the play button on the front of the modx all is fine. I loaded it into a performance in the arpeggio individual screen
But it only plays 2 measures. I've spent a lot of time trying to fix it. All help is appreciated

You cannot play an Arp by pressing a button. Technically speaking, the Arpeggio must be started by touching a Key (or sending In a Note-on event via MIDI).

If you are pressing a button then you are not playing the Arp, technically, you are likely playing back the sequencer data used to create an Arpeggio.

When you create an Arpeggio using the dedicated β€œUser Arp” JOB, you must enter the number of Measures you wish to convert to the Arp Phrase. You do so using the screen.

Tip for Setting Arp Phrase Length
If the Start Measure = 01 and the End Measure = 02 you will convert a 1-Measure Arp Phrase - This is the shortest Length you can set.
If the Start Measure = 01 and the End Measure = 05 you will convert to a 4-Measure Arp Phrase

So unless you set the Start and End Measures properly you will get an Arp Phrase that does not play all of your measures.
You say you want a 5 measure Phrase…when you setup your convert to Arp screen your Start and End Measures should be set to 1 and 6, respectively. When converted this will include all 5 measures of your Phrase.

Posted : 17/07/2021 3:15 pm
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us