Notifications
Clear all

Arpeggio sound types question

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I was browsing the Arpeggio Type List in the MODX Data List. Each arp has a category and sound type. Does this mean that piano arps should only be used with piano sounds, etc.? I'm asking because I was trying some arps with sounds other than those they were meant to be used with, and sometimes the arp wouldn't play at all.

Also, are there any tips on how to combine arps in a performance to make a backing track for playing in real time? Thanks!

Posted : 25/12/2018 5:35 am
Leon
 Leon
Eminent Member

You can play any sound on any arpeggios some won't give you sound when you change it due to the keys in which original arp was playing .
You can combine your arpeggios in scenes so you can change them while you are playing by selecting different scenes i.e something like arranger .

Posted : 25/12/2018 5:07 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks, Leon!

Posted : 25/12/2018 8:21 pm
Bad Mister

Some Arpeggios are Note data, some Arps are in the “Hybrid/CTRL” Category which require a specific type of setup to ‘do their thing’...

A “Hybrid” Arp could be velocity zoned, so that only a particular velocity range will work. Like those designed to work with a slap bass when a specific velocity is exceeded... or that recalls a finger zing on a guitar Arpeggio Phrase because only a specific velocity will trigger that articulation.
A “Control” Arp does not include Note data, it could be Expression (Volume), Pan, Cutoff, etc. some kind of controlller data... which means the Arp “KeyMode” needs to be set to “direct”.

What this means is, the notes you press directly will be heard, and the arp that is applied will change the Expression (cc11), or change the Pan position (cc10), or change the Cutoff frequency (cc74) etc., etc.

Obviously, Drum Arp Phrase make no sense on anything but a Drum Kit, and musical Arp phrases make no sense on a Drum Kit...
But just because an Arp is listed under piano does not mean it will not work on another sound... that’s up to you.

Posted : 26/12/2018 12:55 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

There are no rules. Any melodic arps can be used on any melodic instrument and sound fine. The ARPs may be "tuned" with certain Performances in mind - but they work fine with others.

The names are primarily a suggestion.

Posted : 26/12/2018 2:03 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us