Clear all

Arpeggio + Sustain pedal

11 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
davide
Topic starter

Hi all,
I have a performance with part 1 (piano) and part 2 (synth + arpeggio). On part 2, Arpeggio in ON, HOLD is OFF. When I press the sustain pedal, Arpeggio behaviour is like "HOLD" (it wont stop when I release the keys, but it stops when I release the sustain pedal)

I would like arpeggio to not "HOLD" when I press the sustain pedal, but just play when I hit the keys and stop when I release the keys (both with pedal ON and/or pedal OFF). I tried to disable Sustain from "Receive SW" in the arpeggio part, but nothing changes. Can someone help me?

Thanks

Davide

Posted : 05/11/2022 12:19 am
davide
Topic starter

Thanks Bill, the LOOP OFF was a good suggestion. Anyway, if I turn OFF the LOOP, when i release the keys and the sustain pedal is pressed, the arpeggio plays till the end of the pattern (and it stops, after that). I would like that pattern to stop immediately when I release the key, just like If sustain pedal is not pressed. Is it possible? (I'm talkin about arpeggiation stopping, not sound itself stopping)

Thanks

Posted : 05/11/2022 12:59 am
davide
Topic starter

I supposed that, so I tried to disable sustain from "Receive SW" menu in the arpeggio part, but nothing changes. Shouldn't be possible to disable sustain pedal just for that arpeggio part?

Posted : 05/11/2022 1:18 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Yes, Part 2 can ignore the sustain pedal.

... but ...

The Arpeggio in Part 2 won't respect this setting. The arpeggiator receives the sustain no matter what.

... and ...

I just fired up the Motif XF and it also will pass the sustain pedal to the arpeggio even when sustain receive is turned off.

Posted : 05/11/2022 4:23 am
davide
Topic starter

I just fired up the Motif XF and it also will pass the sustain pedal to the arpeggio even when sustain receive is turned off.

🙁 🙁

Posted : 05/11/2022 7:04 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Kind of overkill - but you could use a MIDI pedal that would output values to CC 64 when pressed/depressed and if the said pedal could select the channel to transmit on then you could set it to Part 1 and then Part 2 won't "see" any sustain using this "external" pedal.

The Nektar Pacer is one such pedal. You can program up to 6 "steps" per button push. Each step can be a different (or the same) type. One "type" is CC trigger which sends one value when the footswitch is down and another value when the footswitch is up. It has 4 footswitch ports so you can plug in an external on/off style sustain pedal to it.

With 6 steps you could send sustain to up to 6 different Parts and assign which channel(s) should be used in each step. There's a mode that fires off all steps simultaneously -- that's the default and appropriate for this. Pushing the pedal (the down action) would be programmed on the Nektar to send a CC #64 = 127 and letting off the pedal (the up action) would be programmed to send a CC #64 = 0.

It's kind of a big piece of gear to throw at this problem - but it illustrates one possible workaround. There are other MIDI hardware solutions out there that get you roughly to the same spot.

Want a cheaper workaround? I've got one for you (at the expense of no longer able to use keyboard control to "turn off" the Part) ....

Take a MIDI cable and plug it in to both MIDI OUT and MIDI IN (aka MIDI loopback hack). Set your MODX MIDI IN/OUT Mode to MIDI (not USB mode). Make sure Arp MIDI Out is set to OFF because Parts cannot trigger the arpeggiator with MIDI in coming from external devices unless the arpeggiator is located on this side. The setting is in [UTILITY] "Settings" -> "MIDI I/O" (where, incidentally, you find "MIDI IN/OUT" in the previous step).

Now take your Part 2 and touch the "Kbd Ctrl" button. From the [PERFORMANCE] (HOME) screen it's the greenish icon with piano keys. Turn it from green to gray. Now none of the controllers will be sent to this Part. Not the piano keys not pitch bend not modwheel not the sustain pedal. With Part 2 on an island - lets build a bridge to it.

Now, physically the "bridge" (connection) is already there. That's what the MIDI cable "loop back" was all about. That was done because the internal Parts have no way to send MIDI to other Parts internally so we need to create this external connection. The virtual part of this bridge involves:

1) Turn on Zone Master [UTILITY] "Settings" -> "Advanced" and the upper-left setting is "Zone Master". Make sure that is ON (greenish).

2) Edit Part 1 (common). Go to the "Part Settings" -> "Zone Settings" menu. I'm telling you this assuming Part 1 is an AWM2 style Part. If FM-X, adjust accordingly (there's a Zone Settings menu there too). From Zone Settings: Turn ON "Zone", Leave "Int SW" ON, leave the note limits and octave shift/transpose alone unless you have a reason to change this, set the transmit channel to Ch2, you can leave the other things as default maybe turn Bank Select and Pgm Change off if not already.

Step 2 connects Part 1 to send the keyboard, mod wheel, sustain, everything to Part 2.

3) Still under Part 1 (common): go to the "Part Settings" -> "Zone Transmit" menu. From here, turn OFF Sustain.

Step 3 makes sure the MIDI sent to Part 2 doesn't include sustain.

And now you're done and saved a few bucks.

If you were previously using keyboard control to turn on/off Part 2 before -- that isn't going to work. The closest replacement would be to make one of the assignable switches [ASSIGN 1] or [ASSIGN 2] turn off all of the elements of Part 2. This way you would use the [ASSIGN] switch to toggle Part 2. Or, if you wanted to keep SCENES controlling Part 2 - you could switch to using the Mute function which has its consequences but maybe easier to deal with if you were previously using keyboard control with scenes.

If you aren't switching out Part 2 at all - then you're home free without much fuss.

Posted : 05/11/2022 7:15 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

... if you don't like the MIDI loop back hack then you could also set MIDI I/O mode to USB, hook up a tablet or computer to the USB TO HOST port, then have the computer echo back MIDI it receives on any channel (or just Channel 1) to Channel 2 (through Port 1 = tone generator). This is a lot of gear too - but if you already have a computer or tablet (on stage in your gigging/active environment) then it's an option. This would tend to appeal to the purists.

Also, be aware that you could have used Part 9 as well. Parts 9-16 have Kbd Ctrl forced off. You can't set it any other way. So that places those Parts on an island already (away from the internal sustain pedal). When I set this up here I initially used Part 9 out of habit but then switched to Part 2 to match what you already had going (less programming for you).

I didn't do a great job of selling Parts 9-16, but let me tell you what you get for your investment of time (exchange Part 29 then change the Part 1 Zone Transmit channel to Ch9). You get an extra Part in 1-8 that has keyboard control. Sometimes you run out of slots in 1-8 but this frees up Part 2 to add more "stuff".

You may not need it now, but it's something to consider in general. If you start using the MIDI loop back then you can have each Part 1-8 transmit out to a different channel 9-16 so you end up with all 16 Parts under direct keyboard control. There are a few consequences (certain independence is lost) but it opens up some new doors.

Posted : 05/11/2022 7:19 am
davide
Topic starter

Thanks Jason! 🙂

Posted : 05/11/2022 11:13 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I don't think there's confusion about arpeggiator generated notes versus trigger notes. This isn't about the arpeggio generated notes sustaining themselves or not. The strange thing here is that when you have the sustain receive turned off that the piano key presses are held by the sustain pedal only for arpeggio trigger notes. So this 1/2 way ignored sustain holds the arpeggio (trigger, not individual notes) even when you release the keys. With the receive of sustain turned off you would think that the trigger notes as inputs to the arpeggiator would also ignore the sustain pedal. However, this is not the case.

Posted : 05/11/2022 5:55 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The most vintage Yamaha keyboard I have that has both arpeggios and the ability to turn off sustain receive is the MO6 (Motif ES era - the second Motif generation. I bet if I test it the arpeggio will act the same - ignoring the sustain receive OFF and hold the arpeggio. We know that Motif XF, the last generation acted the same. And the XF has a long lifespan, was very popular, and certainly Yamaha received feedback on some aspect of every feature.

I think how this works is part of the DNA - a design choice. The thought didn't occur or someone lost the feature battle that users would want to arpeggiate one Part purely by a gated trigger without hold (meaning while pressing trigger keys the arpeggio plays and when you let off the keys the arpeggio stops) AND also have another Part like piano where you want to use the sustain pedal in the conventional manner.

I do think this is intentional however limiting it may be.

I also think it would be worthwhile to rethink this, listen to a very seemingly common use case, and revise the feature this generation or a future generation.

Posted : 06/11/2022 6:41 am
Member Admin

Isn't all this the.half pedalling feature in play?

Posted : 07/11/2022 1:04 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us