6 Users
0 Likes
Member Admin
Topic starter

What are the steps to do this?

Posted : 19/01/2023 3:42 am
Member Admin
Topic starter

I should point out... I used to know how to do this. I have, previously, done this a lot of times. And things like it.
But not for about a year.

I sat down to do this and tried every way I thought it was done, every way I could instantly think of to do it. And none worked. So... Yamaha, well done.

Your approach is so counterintuitive that someone that once even knew how to do it can't discover how todo it again.

And I can't even find how to do it online, as there's so much detritus in terms of long winded explanations trying to avoid stating the obvious, that this is ridiculously convoluted to do with the headline feature (SuperKnob) of the product.

Well done! You geniuses.

No doubt someone will link to a dozen page treatise on how to do assignments, and I'll have to re-discern the steps from a smorgasbord when I only want bread and butter assignment insight.

Cheers.

Posted : 19/01/2023 3:54 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

To the letter of what you've asked - you can't.

Why:

1) The EG/FX Attack knob changes scope depending on if a Part is selected or if no Part is selected. If no Part is selected then all Parts' AEG Attack Time will be adjusted with the EG/FX Attack knob. If a Part is selected then only that selected Part's Attack AEG will be adjusted.

2) The EG/FX Attack knob will adjust the attack time for even drum Parts. Drum Parts do not have attack time as a destination under the control matrix. You may not "care" about Drum Parts - but to the letter this is another limitation or difference in a Super Knob and how it relates to attack time.

3) "EG/FX Attack knob" isn't a destination in the control matrix

I'll refrain from giving the steps to approximate since it deviates from the letter of your ask.

Posted : 19/01/2023 4:23 am
Member Admin
Topic starter

@Jason

I think you've failed to understand the letters of the question.

It is not a question about the Common EG/FX Attack knob. It's about that of a Part. Which is in the title, with a Capital letter!

Yet you spend the first part of your response demonstrating that you're going to talk about the Common EG/FX Attack Knob for the rest of your response.

Well done. I see this is the pattern. Perhaps on the device you're reading the forum on the capitalisations and full sentences aren't visible.

Posted : 19/01/2023 5:33 am
Member Admin
Topic starter

STEPS:

1. Find the onscreen facility for the Part's EG/FX Attack visual representation... which is onscreen if you're in Performance View. Click on its box so it's highlighted.
  2. Now press the button just outside and to the left bottom of the screen, labeled "Control Assign"... if it's glowing. If it's not, there are two possibilities... that too many assigns have already been made, or the chosen parameter is not available for assigning.*
  3. Twiddle the SuperKnob - this does the assignment of the SuperKnob, via an Assignable Knob, to the Destination.
  4. Begin getting infuriated by the lack of resultant value presentations as you attempt to find the right ratio and curve to get the responsiveness you had in mind.

* It would be nice if it flashed when assigns are full, but it doesn't, so you have to guess why it's not available from these two possibilities, and investigate further, menus within menus, to find out why.

-----------------
    For those wondering, the error in my thinking was direction.

it is not correct, in the Yamaha Way™ to invert your thinking from Their Way™

Instead of thinking about what you'd like the SuperKnob to do, think in terms of what you'd like attached to something else.

IOW: Don't start with the Source of Modulation, start with the destination.

Then, and only then, is it possible to assign "up" to the modulation source.

To do this, find the onscreen representation of the thing you want to assign to a controller. You cannot do it from the Board Controls, only from the screen up. Destination on Screen to Modulation Device. This way, and only this way.

Do not think the other way, that which most other synths use as the model for assignment processes, and which could have been offered, so as to make both ways of thinking and doing possible. Nope.

Only think in terms of Destination -> Modulation.

Got it?

Feel like it's backwards? I do.

Posted : 19/01/2023 5:34 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Your title states "(EG/FX first knob)" so ask for what you want next time.

BTW: your hostility is standing in your own way. The rules you place on what constitutes an acceptable answer, your conspiracy theories, and other nonsense creates an environment where you will be continually at odds no matter how much effort is placed into respecting your demands.

Posted : 19/01/2023 4:02 pm
 logg

[quotePost id=120108]Your title states "(EG/FX first knob)" so ask for what you want next time.

BTW: your hostility is standing in your own way. The rules you place on what constitutes an acceptable answer, your conspiracy theories, and other nonsense creates an environment where you will be continually at odds no matter how much effort is placed into respecting your demands.
[/quotePost]

Jason, your pedantry, as used in service of your views, gets in your way, and the way of the truth. I'm quite sure you enjoy that narrowing of reality, so it's merely an observation.

Posted : 19/01/2023 11:53 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

This was a case of holding up a mirror -- there's another thread where Andrew was rule maker and this response was trying to "do better" (for him). I'm making honest attempts to appease his narrow views of acceptability. It's cool. And thanks for the feedback - welcome to the forum.

Posted : 20/01/2023 12:26 am
Blake Angelos
Member Admin

Hello,

I wanted to jump in here to remind everyone to be respectful and use less invective in your posts. If you have a question, comment or concern please, please try to convey it without insults and accusations.

As a reminder: Here is our policy on Forum Etiquette

We try not to shut down valid conversations and really want to keep a hands-off approach to this forum. I rarely ban people for obnoxious behavior, but it isn't out of the question.

Please do better and be respectful.

If you have any comments or questions for me please email me at synthesizers@yamaha.com.

Posted : 20/01/2023 7:20 pm

When I saw that the last response to this post was from Blake, being an official Yamaha employee, I eagerly opened it to hopefully find some sort of constructive answer to the OP's question. Instead he's playing the big policeman and reminding us once again of the forum's etiquette policy. Fair enough but at least he could have gone the extra mile and answered the query. I really couldn't give a fat rat's about the other 😮

Posted : 20/01/2023 10:30 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

OP answered his own question. Even supplying constructive critique such as the lack of visibility when all destinations are full - a complaint I've made before too. As well as usability issues with the current system - all good stuff.

See post #120103

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/assign-attack-time-eg-fx-first-knob-of-part-to-superknob#reply-120103

Posted : 20/01/2023 10:50 pm
Antony
Estimable Member

To Assign Envelope Attack of a Part so it can be controlled by the SuperKnob.

1) Edit the Part in question, and Add a Control Assign
Source = Assign Knob 1
Destination = PEG Attack, FEG Attack, or AEG Attack. Use Ratio to Set Depth (amount of Modulation). You get additional "Op" Destinations for FM-X, "OP PEG Attack" and "OP AEG Attack". There is no OP FEG in FM-X.

2) Link a "Common Assign Knob" to the above Part Assign Knob in the usual manner (See Reference Manual).

3) Link the Super Knob to the Common Assign knob above in the usual manner (See Reference Manual).

Posted : 21/01/2023 1:03 am
Member Admin
Topic starter

[quotePost id=120131]

I cannot even begin to imagine what motivates you to act this way.

[/quotePost]

Ditto

Posted : 21/01/2023 1:18 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us