Notifications
Clear all

Assignable knobs descriptions

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 John
Topic starter

I've managed to find where the information is about what the assignable knobs control but it took me a while to find it in the menus. I notice that you can change the description that comes up along with the value when you turn the knob. I do find it very frustrating that the factory performances supplied by Yamaha don't have the descriptions of the assignable knobs so that you can tell straight away what you are altering.

The other frustration is that I assume that I can't save the performance to itself (overwrite the patch) if I just change the descriptions for the assignable knobs for example. Another example would be that I wanted to change the default volume of the performance because I find some of them too low volume. But to do this I suspect I would need to save the performance to a user slot and therefore waste a slot just for the sake of altering the volume and knob descriptions. It would also make the factory performances totally redundant if I had to do this.

Posted : 08/01/2019 4:28 pm
Bad Mister

Yes, yes, but go ahead “waste a slot” you only have 5,759 more slots!!!

The Factory Presets are in a type of memory called ROM, or Read Only Memory. So you are correct... this data, if you make a change must be stored to the USER Bank. The User Bank allows you to store 640 Performances, 2048 Waveforms, 2048 Live Set slots, 256 User Arps, 256 Motion Sequences, 32 User Curves, 8 Micro tunings... but initially the User Bank is empty.

When you fill the User Bank you can SAVE the data as a “Library File” (.X8L) which can be written into your instruments user FLASH area times eight. That’s why I say “go ahead waste a slot” you have many more than you’ll need.

If you don’t want to use your instruments massive internal memory... you can store an unlimited number of Performances on your computer using MODX CONNECT ; Or with Soundmondo you can archive sounds on your iOS device (iPad or iPhone).

Posted : 08/01/2019 6:20 pm
 John
Topic starter

Further to this, am I doing something wrong? I’ve set up a performance with assignable knobs set up as a Bipolar type curve, but when I turn the knob, the values displayed are in the range 0 through to 127 still. I would have expected them to be from -64 to +64 like you get on the Cutoff and Resonance assignables.

Posted : 10/01/2019 8:14 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

There's a difference between display of parameters and how curves do math. The display of a parameter is its absolute value according to its range. Not all parameters have the same range. Not all are even integers. Some are "ON/OFF" some are a series of discrete values like some EQ settings jump around. The data list has a more detailed view of what values are used for parameters. What you see of the value is a function not of the polarity - but a function of the parameter itself.

As opposed to the display of a parameter, the curve is an OFFSET. It says - whatever the value is set to - offset this value by an amount. Bipolar implies that you can offset the value by making the programmed value smaller (offset by negative amounts) or make the programmed value bigger (offset by positive amounts) or, certainly, keep the value the same (an offset of 0).

Say you are targeting a parameter like volume which has a range from 0-127. Volume will never be negative and will never be larger than 127.

If the volume is currently 50 and you have a bipolar curve - this means you can add up to 77 to this value or subtract as much as 50 from this value. The ratio may not be large enough to reach an offset of -50 (meaning the result would be 0, the min value) or to reach an offset of +77 (meaning the result would be 127, the max value). That said, bipolar is the only way to sometimes apply a positive offset and sometimes apply a negative offset. Again, offset is not the same as effective value.

This is relativity. The effective value is the result of taking the offset applied by the controller being fed into the curve as applied to the destination parameter.

The polarity, ratio, and curve shape determine how the offset behaves as you move the source controller.

The effective value (which is the programmed value offset by the curve) does not have a different range than the programmed value. The effective value will "max out" at the maximum range for the destination parameter or "min out" at the minimum range for the destination parameter.

Posted : 10/01/2019 9:12 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us